OMNI-IIe freezes within 24 hours of re-start

swb_mct

We have had an OMNI-IIe for several years.  A few months ago it started to freeze up, required power cycle to restore:
  • no network access with PC-Access
  • no nework access with Snap-Link
  • Console diplays "No Controller Data"
So yesterday I replaced the Controller with a brand-new controller, updated the firmware to V3.16 released in July 2016 and loaded my program file.   Everything works.

But then this morning the new controller was off-line:
  • no network access with PC-Access
  • same as above
  • same as above
What can Cause this ?
  • I am using the original ELK 24 volt AC power supply.  It measures 27 volts AC at the controller.
  • Can a user's program error cause this ?
  • Can the firmware be bad ? both controllers had V3.16 - the newest available
When the original controller froze, it was really messed up, nothing worked and the console display was scramble after a reboot until I reloaded the program file and maybe updated the firmware at the same time.  I thought maybe it was related to a lighting storm.  I was confident a new controller would fix this.

Yes, user programming can cause this problem.  If there are loops or things that execute too frequently, you can see this.  I would start by saving your config file under a new copy and delete all the programming, then download to the panel.  Let it run for a while to see if the problem exists.

Do you recall making any changes back when the problem first started?

I have taken your suggestion of loading a copy of the .pca file with all programs deleted.

Since both the old and new controllers freeze, I am also wondering if their is some wired connection that has some stray voltage or leakage to ground that has occurred.   If needed maybe Ill start disconnecting these systems one at a time.
  • security zone devices 
  • Thermostats
  • Temp Sensors
  • Ethernet - but all other local network systems work correctly
  • outputs to horns/speakers
  • Leakage to 120v line through the HAI and X10 power line interfaces

I don't recall if I made adjustments just prior to the problem originally starting.

------
I didn't want to confuse the question when I first posted this, but all HAI keypads stopped working about a year ago, plus about 1/2 of the HAI switches stopped being controlled by the controller.  
  • I have an HAI brand phase coupler.
  • putting the HAI Power Line interface on the other phase changes the response of a couple of the switches but not the keypads.
  • Upstart doesn't detect any noise, but it also doesn't seem to find the HAI devices.
      I have 2 HAI power line interface devices and they both provide the same partial functionality.

Do you see any potential connection between the HAI communication problem and the Controller-Freeze problem (with both controllers)

I would try unhooking the consoles from the controller. When I reversed the power, fried two consoles, and then connected them correctly the OmniPro would hang / act weird. It appears that the consoles were sending garbled data over the data bus. Once I disconnected the two bad consoles my last console and controller worked fine.

You likely have a programming loop.  These can be tricky to solve, but you need to map out your code to verify that you don't have something like a changes b, b changes c, then c changes a. 

Back