Issue with SA-UMC-DB9-W

viroid

All,

I don't think my computer interface module is working anymore, it is currently flashing a 5 blink sequence, amber-green-red-red-red.

I've tried to return it to factory defaults using instructions on the forum,but I don't see any change in the flash pattern which would lead me to believe anything has happened.

Try resetting the UMC to factory settings.
5 clicks (setup mode)on the reset button, then
10 clicks(factory reset), then
2 clicks to exit setup mode.

Any other thoughts before I reach out to AO or SA ?

it is currently flashing a 5 blink sequence, amber-green-red-red-red.

Looks stuck.  Try holding down the button while plugging it in to power without the serial port plugged in.

What does Upstart show when it connects to the UPB PIM?

My SA serial PIM crashed and burned last year.  I opened it up and sent pictures of the insides to the SA CS representative.  Mostly inside showed the burn marks and a few places where the plastic had melted.

That said it was out of warranty such that I did not expect a replacement. 

This is the only UPB PIM that has ever burned up on me.  I have other SA PIMs and HAI PIMs that have worked fine for many many years now.

SA Warranty states:

WARRANTY PERIOD

The warranty period for all Simply Automated UPB (Universal Powerline Bus) products is two (2) years. The warranty period for all software products is ninety (90) days.

Pete,

It's almost like it's in a boot loop, one time UpStart will say nothing found (Unable to get Firmware), the next it'll say Firmware OK, Startup Command OK, then FAIL.  Although I tested it again this evening and now it just says unable to connect.

I'll try your suggestion.

Good news Viroid!!!

Here over the last few years have dealt with SA customer service twice. 

That said I have only had one UPB PIM do a crash and burn over the last 10 years.

I've had 2 die but in both cases it was due to indirect lightning strikes. On the latest one I added an opto-isoloator adapter to the serial port and have PIM plugged into a surge protected plug on the UPS.

batwater said:
I've had 2 die but in both cases it was due to indirect lightning strikes. On the latest one I added an opto-isoloator adapter to the serial port and have PIM plugged into a surge protected plug on the UPS.
I'm not sure that is a great idea. You might protect the PIM, but you will definitely decrease the signal with a UPS.  PIM's are cheap, and yes they are very vulnerable to lightning strikes. Get a whole house surge protector for your house.

From experience, the SA PIMs are no where as good as the PCS PulseWorx PIM.  That thing is bulletproof. And has the strongest signal out there as well.

@Ano,

Do you like your PCS better than your old HAI UPB PIM and it's connection to the OmniPro2?

I have multiple HAI PIMs here and they are doing fine over the years.

pete_c said:
@Ano,

Do you like your PCS better than your old HAI UPB PIM and it's connection to the OmniPro2?

I have multiple HAI PIMs here and they are doing fine over the years.
Hi Pete:

I never could get the PCS PIM working with the panel reliably.  It worked "pretty good" but when there were several transmissions in a row, some would get missed on occasion.  The cable was fine, and I'm sure it was a HAI bug which probably wouldn't be fixed.  So I use a PCS PIM for UPStart, etc. If I have some time, I'll try it again. Maybe recent FW updates fixed it, don't know.

ano said:
I'm not sure that is a great idea. You might protect the PIM, but you will definitely decrease the signal with a UPS.  PIM's are cheap, and yes they are very vulnerable to lightning strikes. Get a whole house surge protector for your house.

From experience, the SA PIMs are no where as good as the PCS PulseWorx PIM.  That thing is bulletproof. And has the strongest signal out there as well.

Up to this point I've not had any signal strength issues otherwise I would remove it from the UPS surge protected plug. Strangely (or not so much) the PIM does better plugged into the UPS vs plugged into the wall. Not sure why. I need to try putting a noise filter in where the UPS plugs into the wall and then try the experiment again with PIM plugged into the wall and the signal reliability.

Yes agree on whole house surge protector, if we end up staying in this house I will be installing one.

UPB places high-speed pulses on your powerline, which is how it works.  These pulses are generally considered "noise" outside of the UPB universe because anything that isn't a perfect 60hz sine-wave is "noise." So any powerline "noise" filter also filters the UPB signal. UPB is pretty robust, much more than X-10, but it does have its limits. 

Spike/surge suppressors are usually O.K. but I wouldn't plug a PIM or UPB devices into one directly.  Whole house surge protectors or individual surge protectors are fine in other places, but "noise" filters really can cause problems, and a UPS is usually the worst.

I once had this Panasonic microwave that cause so much electrical noise my kitchen UPD switches wouldn't even work when it was on. I plugged the microwave into a powerline filter and the problem was solved. 

Use your UPS to protect your computers, network, etc.  Get a whole house surge protector and the PIM will be fine.

Relating to the OP.

@viroid,

I have read here on the Cocoontech about the registers getting scrambled flipping over from message mode to pulse mode and vice versa.

From what I am reading and with personal experience in resetting the PIM sometimes it is a timing thing pushing the buttons.

I have also seen this with UPB in wall switches, light module and appliance modules and between HAI, SA and PCS UPB devices.

I would call the SA folks about an RMA and also keep trying the reset as you documented above.

The RMA number should be generated in same call to SA immediately with a follow up email of said conversation.

Here have only dealt with PCS to RMA a phase coupler.  It all happened within a week and I was a happy camper.

Last conversation with SA relating to my crash and burned PIM was a bit lengthy.  I never called and just emailed my issue.

First email reponse from SA was as if the person reading my email didn't understand what I meant by a crash and burn (with pictures).

3rd response I finally got an acknowledgement about what happened which was odd to me.  This took some 2 weeks.

That said I knew that the PIM was out of warranty.  I only asked if it could be repaired and to show the SA tech what happened to the PIM - crash and burn stuff.   It was real flames and a tiny little fire. 

Push in the hole 10 times, pause (LED color change), 5 times (LED color change), 2 times.

Back