Security Camera setup (POE, NVR) to work with eKeypad Pro

dvpvic

Looking for camera option to put together for my house. Ill prob do 4-5 cameras, I do have POE switch already and would like for it to work with the ekeypad app as my Elk m1 security system is used through that. I have went thru various threads here and am having a hard time coming up with a solution.

I first toyed with the idea of a Ring style doorbell camera as any motion sensing technology would be nice to have but that would mean a separate app and more fees to pay. So Im wondering if there is an NVR that has motion sensing built into it that would then alert me somehow there is movement etc. I will install and ELK-930 that would also feed me a live view of someone at the door if the doorbell is pushed.

ekeypad lists supported NVRs and IP cameras here. Any input is appreciated 

As described in this post (and the the ones after it), when my doorbell is rung or mailbox is opened digital inputs to the Elk are triggered that, in turn, trigger a digital input on a Vivotek camera to send texts or emails with pictures. 

Since that original post, I have integrated the motion sensing capabilities of (and rely more heavily on) the Blue Iris and Sighthound software programs to also trigger alerts/texts/messages when various motion events (apart from the doorbell or mailbox) happen in or around my front porch or sidewalk.

Suffice it to say that when the UPS guy or anyone else approaches my front door, my phone lights up like a Christmas tree (with snapshots and video clips)..  I can also use the mobile apps for either software program to get a live feed of the front door or any of my other 5 IP POE Hikvision cameras.

What exactly do you want to do? It helps to define your goals.
Many IP cameras can send email notifications upon detecting motion, no need for a NVR or Elk integration, if that's all you're after.
Drop into ipcamtalk.com . Those guys are really into that kind of thing.

42etus said:
What exactly do you want to do? It helps to define your goals.
Many IP cameras can send email notifications upon detecting motion, no need for a NVR or Elk integration, if that's all you're after.
Drop into ipcamtalk.com . Those guys are really into that kind of thing.
What I want to do is be able to have some kind of live feed, and recordable video of front of home when motion is detected etc, or always recording. But for something to function similar to a Ring style door bell. I don't want emails sent me, thats a more clunky way of doing things in my opinion, having to open up an email, find it etc to see whats going on. eKeypad has a great video module that works great with various DVRs and NVRs. I already have a Lutron RadioRA 2 app, a homekit App, Nest, and eKeypad. Adding some email setup, or a version of another app just makes me have to deal with opening up various apps when one event occurs on both systems. Plus the wife won't start liking the idea of fumbling through 10 apps to see who's at the door when we aren't home etc.

TurboSam said:
As described in this post (and the the ones after it), when my doorbell is rung or mailbox is opened digital inputs to the Elk are triggered that, in turn, trigger a digital input on a Vivotek camera to send texts or emails with pictures. 

Since that original post, I have integrated the motion sensing capabilities of (and rely more heavily on) the Blue Iris and Sighthound software programs to also trigger alerts/texts/messages when various motion events (apart from the doorbell or mailbox) happen in or around my front porch or sidewalk.

Suffice it to say that when the UPS guy or anyone else approaches my front door, my phone lights up like a Christmas tree (with snapshots and video clips)..  I can also use the mobile apps for either software program to get a live feed of the front door or any of my other 5 IP POE Hikvision cameras.
What do you use that set sense motion at the door? A software/camera motion sensor or just a PIR etc?

So I'm wondering if there is an NVR that has motion sensing built into it that would then alert me somehow there is movement etc.

The newer NVR's today have both video motion algorithm and analog sensor terminals built in to the NVR.

I utilize a software NVR called ZoneMinder which runs in Linux.

Software like Blue Iris utilizes pure video motion algorithms for triggering recording events.

Most if not all of the small doorbell cameras have a motion detector / camera built in and proprietary software which talks to the cloud and a proprietary smart phone app / internet app for video events.

Over 50% of the package delivery folks today never ring the doorbell anyhow.

Not sure if the small combo doorbells trigger a doorbell ring when not pressing on the doorbell button.

Many years ago my solution here was to utilize a combo camera with built in analog sensors.  (IE: PIR, night and day and intrusion).  I DIY'd the whole thing using ZM and my alarm panel (OP2). Long math way here split the video into digital and analog components.  My combo camera/pir's do not resemble cameras at all which I like as the new ones all do look like cameras.

Works fine today. 

You can purchase a combination outdoor camera/pir today except that it is bigger than a doorbell button. 

The doorbell ring (with Elk combo 960/930) provided one trigger of many.  I used PIRs (and walk sensors) and driveway sensors to provide a second trigger and door bell ring.  The events are software driven with stills and motion.  A package delivery video includes walking from the truck to the door.

Personally here would like to find a small footprint doorbell button with HD and PIR for a DIY solution.

Simplest is just to purchase a door bell camera and utilize the door bell camera propitiatory software.  Integrating something like this to an NVR is going to be a bit difficult unless the mfg of the camera provides an API for tapping into their application.

Many of the long time CT members here were doing this before the small combo doorbell button came to being using an analogue solution and getting triggers to play back on their phones using software solutions.

As mentioned above it is what you want to do.

I agree with Pete.  Personally, I've yet to see a modern IP camera (or NVR) that doesn't support video motion detection; it's a standard feature.

But here's the thing:  video motion detection sucks for alerts/events.  The false-alarm rate is off-the-charts, triggered as it is by car headlights, birds, bugs, clouds, wind-blown leaves, rain, etc.   It becomes such an annoyance, and the false alerts are so frequent, that you eventually ignore it like a digital-boy-that-cried-wolf. 

That's not what you want.  Personally, my time/attention is valuable, and I hate being interrupted for nonsense, so if an alert comes to my phone, I want it to be legit. 

I would only do alerts if they were from real sensors: PIR, microwave, prox-sensors, or door-bell.  

I use a Mobotix Doorstation, and have it set to email me based on somebody pressing the doorbell.  Mobotix has very good algorithms and they have analytics built right into the camera, but I still don't use motion-detection alerts. 

dvpvic said:
What do you use that set sense motion at the door? A software/camera motion sensor or just a PIR etc?

I originally relied on the doorbell ring or the mailbox opening to trigger the Elk input that, in turn, triggered the Vivotek to send email, texts, etc. 

Now I rely primarily on the motion sensing abilities of the two software programs (Sighthound and Blue Iris)--there is no separate PIR and the cameras send the signal to each of the two software programs which, in turn, do the analytics. 

But (and this is key), in this context, motion sensing is much more than did something move:  one or both offer line or zone crossing options, door-type entry or exit detection, zone entry, hot spot type detection, and ignore features (for foliage).....  It's kinda tough to describe but take a look at each of their websites and see what is offered.

Do I still get false positives?  Yes, but not nearly as much as with "simple" motion sensing.  It took a bit of trial and error to fine tune what works and what doesn't, but when I get an alert/text/email, It is usually one I want to know about.

We have problems with package delivery/mail thefts (especially around Christmas time), so it is great to know when the UPS/FedEx/AMZN delivery is made (since not all of them ring the damn doorbell) so I can go get the package or (if not home) call a neighbor.

Lots of info here guys. Thank you so much for the input. Im not necessarily looking for a "Ring style" doorbell with a camera, just want to be able to setup the camera somewhere near the door etc and out into drive way to record and show events after say the doorbell is triggered or driveway sensor tripped. Problem is I live on suburb street with a driveway that is about 30' total from my garage door to public sidewalk, so installing driveway sensors might be a bit pointless. I guess Ill be looking through the list of supported NVRs and IP cameras by eKeypad. Ive looked at blue iris, but I will have to setup a small PC to have that function as an NVR/DVR etc correct? 

I've looked at Blue Iris, but I will have to setup a small PC to have that function as an NVR/DVR etc correct?

Yes. 

Blue Iris is popular Windows software.  Like many software NVR programs the faster the CPU / more RAM the better it works.

You will want to looks at storage options depending on your needs.

dvpvic said:
I guess Ill be looking through the list of supported NVRs and IP cameras by eKeypad. Ive looked at blue iris, but I will have to setup a small PC to have that function as an NVR/DVR etc correct? 

Yes, as Pete says, you will need a PC.  I made the decision to get a dedicated PC to handle 6 cameras, all of which feed to Blue Iris and Sighthound with various automatic backup features to a Synology NAS.  I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that I can also use eKeypad for the videos, but I generally find myself going to the dedicated software iPhone apps since that way I can get both a live feed and have ready access to clips, alerts, storage...etc.

As for your driveway, see if you can find a camera that gives you a shot of the entry and then set up a line draw type trigger for anything that crosses. 

Back