Security Camera Solution with HA in mind

It is a PITA to have to deal with this.

That said it isn't common practice to seen folks or kids looking around to compromise wireless networks.  BUT there are folks that do get their kicks from seeing if they can do this for the fun of it.

Here do not have wireless dependencies relating to CCTV,security, media, cell phones, automation et al while in the house.

For a while now have a la carted my stuff in the house with separate pieces and utilized VPN for access to my home network. 

Many ISP connected folks do utilized rental combo boxes with firmware that will need to be updated.  This can be done automagically from the ISP mothership.  The typical ISP modem configuration is automagically uploaded to your home modem.  But the firmware to the device is not updated much.

Cloud vs. yourself is always the question.  Many years ago I was in the DIY kick.  I have a home server and I was going to support my own domain mail, VPN, web site, and video monitoring services.  Sounds good, but its not easy. For example, on mail, many ISP's forbid this and even block the ports you need. There are ways to get around that, but in the end, in terms of cost, downtime, etc. it just wasn't worth it.  For SO MUCH cheaper I can get these things hosted elsewhere, with 100% uptime, and they worked SO MUCH BETTER.

But if you do rely on the cloud, how do you find companies that will stick around?  Where possible use open standards, and look how the company is doing.  I use RING products for my video monitoring, and have been very happy. Cheap and reliable.  Will the company be around forever? Probably not, but it will be around for as long as my cameras last, for sure.  Every-time I check out their site, they offer more and more products. They will soon be releasing a home security system, with monitoring included in the $100/year price, and cellular backup optional. 

"Services" are so cheap today, that unless your hellbent on doing everything yourself, there really is no reason to.  But find reliable service providers that are profitable, or your right, they won't be around long.  I know the cloud/service model is contrary to many people's thinking, but in many areas (but not all) it makes economic sense, at least to me.

but in many areas (but not all) it makes economic sense, at least to me.

So then you folded succumbed by the cloud eh Ano?

Here utilize the Amazon Echo but have no automation dependencies on it.

Just shut if off in the master bathroom and went back to using my touchscreen to stream whatever....

pete_c said:
Here utilize the Amazon Echo but have no automation dependencies on it.

I have both Echo and Google Home, both for playing with. No dependency on it but I have had fun playing with the response. One odd thing I found, we often adjust what we say to work with these AIs. I've managed to confuse the hell out of both them. To the point where I have to tell them to shut-up. I've had to learn to reword my queries to get the AIs to work with me.

BTW, it's not the accent (da Bronx & Irish).

pete_c said:
but in many areas (but not all) it makes economic sense, at least to me.

So then you folded succumbed by the cloud eh Ano?
Your email is probably cloud based, unless you run your own server, which is rare. Netflix, Amazon, iCloud, all cloud based systems, so its pretty hard to get away from it.  Almost all of the Internet is cloud-based.  So you have to pick and chose.  My home automation isn't cloud-based, because it doesn't really make sense for me, but my OPII does connect with email (cloud) and is monitored (cloud). I guess I have a Smartthings too but only use it for testing. 

I don't think you can get away from the cloud today. I guess you'd have to live in a home without an Internet connection.

Understood Ano.

My point mostly related to the use of the cloud for automation and security primarily (including CCTV).

I do use the Google / Microsoft / Amazon cloud but do not and have never depended on it to run services or relating to safe keeping of anything of value to me.

Email (including multiple 3rd party internet servers) has always been the same.  I have always downloaded and archived my emails and never really keep much on the email servers.  Geez I have archived emails from the 1990's still around.

These days I stream multimedia content from the internet much more than 10 years ago.  That said I still prefer to listen to my personal media especially music.  I have replicated my music collection in the home and 2 automobiles.

Work projects here in the early 2000's related to tethering of smart phones.  It worked so well I personally quit tethering my cell phones and today have no dependencies on my cell phone other than a portable mechanism of communications which I typically keep off as I prefer not to be bothered.

I am very much in to playing with the cloud while concurrently not creating dependencies on it's use.

Back