Raspberry Pi questions

Ira

Looks like my HA/security/etc. solution will need a raspberry pi. HA will be done by a Hubitat hub (mostly using z-wave devices). Security will be handled by an Elk M1 integrated with Hubitat. Apple Home/Homekit will front end everything and provide the UI for iPhones and iPads. Hubitat will be a bridge into Homekit for the z-wave devices and the Elk M1.

I've been playing with Reolink POE IP cameras, and that will probably be the security camera solution I use, including a Reolink NVR. Unfortunately, Homekit doesn't support POE IP cameras, nor does Hubitat. That means I need another bridge device. From what I have read, the best bridges for the cameras are Scrypted and Homebridge, with Scrypted seeming to have a slight edge.

Homebridge can be implemented as a pre-built, pre-installed, single purpose appliance by buying the "Hoobs" device. Unfortunately, Scrypted is only available as a software download (which is free and open source).

Scrypted can run on various computers, but I want to implement it as close to a single purpose appliance as possible, i.e., no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, etc. Just hit the power button and a minute or two later it is running and working (like Hubitat, M1, firewall appliance, cable modem, etc.). That's where the rPi 4B comes in.

My questions...
  1. Is it possible to purchase a pre-built rPi 4B with 8GM memory and pre-loaded with Linux? If so, where? Everything I've found comes in kit form (some with case included) without a OS.
  2. Once an rPi is bought/built, and the OS and Scrypted software have been installed, is it easy to configure it so that it can be treated as an appliance? For example, if I have to reboot it, I don't want to have to ssh into the box and go thru a Scrypted or Linux shutdown, then go thru a startup process that requires me to log on to the box after Linux reboots, start Scrypted, etc. I just want to be able to press the power button to shut it down, then press it again to reboot (like the Hubitat, Elk M1, firewall, cable modem, etc.).
I understand the rPi is easy to build, load up, configure, and use, but I got away building computers years ago in favor of single purpose appliances, and just don't have any desire to go back to those days.

Thanks,
Ira

The kits are very simple. In most cases, you just stick the heatsink on the CPU (just like a sticker), put the board in the case, insert SD card, and you're done. Installing the OS is as simple as using a user-friendly tool to install the downloaded image onto an SD card (tons of videos about this)

As nice as the Hubitat is, I would have just gone with the Home Assistant Yellow or the newly released Home Assistant Green, or run Home Assistant on an old PC/laptop with a cheap USB 800 series Z-Wave adapter, no Linux knowledge required, everything can be done via the web UI.

If you've already decided on the setup, let us know, and we can give you some more details if you have additional questions.

I bought the Hubitat Elevation (HE) about a year ago. I don't remember why I chose it over Home Assistant (HA), but I remember considering HA. Maybe when I looked at HA, it wasn't being offered as an appliance, which would have been a huge negative for me.

A lot of HE users also use HA, mainly for HA's better dashboard capabilities from what I read. At $100 for HA, there's a reasonable chance that if/when we get moved into the new house that I'm doing all this for, I will buy a HA and see what I can do with the two together (and Apple Home).

I guess the only question remaining is... once the machine is built and software installed, can it all be set up as if it were an appliance, e.g., the power button is all that is needed to reboot. In other words, if I'm out of town and Scrypted needs to be rebooted, can I simply tell my wife which box to unplug then plug back in to reboot it?

depending on the hardware, sure. I built mine around the concept of being able to power it down by yanking the plug, and needing to be able to recover services without any interaction. Hasn't been an issue yet (and I'm running it on top of Proxmox).

Last edited:
Ira, if you want a turn-key HASS solution, the Yellow is probably best. They just got the first voice assistant released. It's probably going to be awhile before it's stable but it's looking VERY exciting. I've always avoided RPI hardware because of the memory corruption but that may have been solved now.

I'm entirely Home Assistant at this point. Home Assistant Yellow PoE with the Zooz ZAC93 LR GPIO module added to it (about $18.00) and it provides me full access to all my smart home kit. Integration with the Elk M1G and a mix of Zigbee and Z-Wave hardware.

Used to be HomeSeer, but I've moved over fully to HA.

Back