A big issue with use the Elk M1 and automation controllers - It cant use the IP dialer

ghurty

I bumped into a big problem with the Elk and a limitation of using it with CQC or other controllers. Hopefully someone can figure out a workaround.
I have an Elk M1 and I have the dialer set up to user IP (so I am not paying for a phone line). The issue is that when CQC is connected to the Elk (which would be constantly), the Elk is unable to dial the monitoring service.

Any suggestions (besides getting a line for it).

Thank you

A few more details might help. 

Are you using a VOIP connection or does your monitoring service have a direct TCP/IP link?

If the former, have you tried using the Contact ID reporting format (#1) or any of the the other formats?

Since you obviously have internet, if all else fails, you might look at a device like the OBi or Ooma and whether they will work?  I've not tried either one with Elk them since I did not think IP reporting was reliable enough and didn't want to have to make sure I had battery backup for modems, routers, switches, etc.  i bought an Obi for VOIP when I gave up my POTS line, but use a Telegard TG-1 Express for Elk reporting/monitoring and it works fine with my Elk/CQC setup.

After a little more research in CQC (and I'm not sure I would want to rely on this for a reporting event), have you looked at either (i) setting up a rule in Elk so that on an alarm event it triggers an output on (that CQC can be set up to read as a field change trigger) or (ii) writing a rule in CQC that triggers on any Elk alarm and that rule (in either event) then turns RPMode in the Elk driver "True"? 

My thinking is that when I am in RPMode, CQC is in effect suspended, so if you turn it on by rule, maybe your IP connection will get out through the XEP.  I've not tried it, and as I said, I am not sure I would be comfortable relying on it, but YMMV.

I wouldn't suggest RPMode, since the driver also will not see anything else that happens while you are in that mode. You are basically disconnecting CQC from the Elk totally if you do that.

Back