Alarm Relay and HAI C3 for Elk M1 monitoring?

I would think the setup is the same for VOIP and POTS, since both provide a dial tone, which the C3 is looking for to decide if it needs to jump in and take over dialing.
I did have a humm or buzzing from my C3 over my POTS line when I first installed.  It turned out to be a faulty transformer for the C3.  You can test this by simply unplugging the transformer while listening to your regular phone.  If the buzzing stops (and C3 switches to battery backup) then it is being induced by the transformer.  HAI promptly sent me a new one after reporting the issue.  Solved.

LindaWCCA said:
I have the ELK M1G and have purchased the HAI C3 communication.  I need to install with a VOIP phone line instead of a POTS line.  The VOIP service is provided by a modem connected directly to my wireless router.  I can not find anywhere in the installation instruction on how to connect with type of a set up.  I did set up the C3 with the VOIP (not connected to M1G) to test signal strength and it seems fine.  I must say though that I seem to get static on the VOIP line now that I didn;t get before.  So I have two questions for the expertise here 1) Should I consider only using the C3 GSM as primary and not interface with the VOIP line for some reason and 2) how do I install the C3 with the VOIP line instead of POTS line? 

A big thank you to everyone in this forums who takes the time to assist others.  I admit that this whole alarm/home automation has been way out of my knowledge base but with everyone's help here and I slowly but surely accomplishing one add on project at time without having to mortgage house to pay installers.

The "POTS" jack on the modem is plugged into the "POTS" location on the C3.  Then you plug the outbound line from the C3 into the Elk panel.  The C3 is going to do direct pass through provided there is a dial tone on the VOIP line.  If dial tone is lost on the VOIP, the C3 will switch to the cellular.

Please be sure that your VOIP is compatible with alarm data transmission.  You should try just plugging your VOIP modem directly into the Elk and doing test communications with CS.

Personally, I have my C3 unit as a dedicated primary transmitter for the Elk.  I don't have a POTS line and I use Google voice configured with my Sprint cell phone number for the house phone.  Google Voice does not work with alarm data, but regular VOIP carriers have the ability.  You'll need to check it out at your house.  But frankly, VOIP would still make me nervous, these sorts of things can work, but be flaky.

If your VOIP service goes down (internet drops), the VOIP modem may still provide a dial tone.  If indeed this is the case, the C3 won't switch to cellular since it thinks all is well by virtue of hearing a dial tone.  

I have not tried this, but you can add a second notification phone number as a backup with the prefix that the C3 recognizes as a message to switch to cellular.  It is like star something, I forget.  This would then dial first using the VOIP and then dial using the cellular if the first attempt fails.

Thanks so much.  I share your concerns over the VOIP which is why I am pondering  just using straight C3 and eleminate the worry.  I already have my XEP rule set to send me a priority text upon alarm activation and may extend that rule to others on my notify list at CS which should be a great backup as well to just the C3.  I will set up according to your directions and run a test.

Has anyone found out if Alarm Relay better supports Elk heartbeats now? I've just sent an email asking that question, but figured I'd ask in this thread which is one of the top results in a Google search.

fryfrog said:
Has anyone found out if Alarm Relay better supports Elk heartbeats now? I've just sent an email asking that question, but figured I'd ask in this thread which is one of the top results in a Google search.

"In regards to your question about the Elk heartbeat; we do in fact offer this service at this time. It is called Elk M1XEP supervision. You need to have an Elk M1XEP internet communicator and the unit is then programmed to check in with our receiver every 30 seconds. Elk supervision like this is an additional $1.95 per month on top of the monitoring rate for the package you choose."

Their reply to my email, so they support heartbeat monitoring now. Nice.

Also, couldn't figure out how to edit my original post. :/

Back