Need help connecting an ELK M1 Gold to a Johnson Controls PowerManage monitoring station

TriLife

Greetings;

I'm sitting in Colombia, where ELK is virtually unknown, but DSC is very popular.

Our gated community has a brandnew Johnson Controls PowerManage alarm monitoring station. Since ELK is unkown, the first reaction from the technician was " it won't work with the monitoring station", which we all know is BS! But indeed, when trying to set up an account for my ELK inside PowerManage, the only options are 3 DSC alarm panels like Neo, Power and some older legacy unit. (I'm guessing there are some drivers missing...).

Furthermore, depending on the option you chose, Neo, Power etc, Power Manage asks for something like a PANEL ID of between 8 and 12 hex digits. We tried using the ELK's ID (8 hex), to no avail...

When I try to connect the M1XEP to the Monitoring station, in CENTRAL STATION I choose DSC Sur-Gard (which I think is the PowerManage name) and enter the IP address of central station, using the default port 3061. There also is room for an Account#XXXX, which is ONLY 4 digits. The tech says this is supplied by the alarm panel, the instructions in the M1XEP say it is supplied by the monitoring station.

As I recall connecting an ELK M1 Gold to a monitoring service in California, there are also a number of changes to be made to GLOBAL...

Now, my question to a knowing soul:

1- Should the JC Power Manage accecpt my ELK the way it is configured, or is it missing drivers?
2- if it should be working, can someone help me with the configuration of account# and setting the GLOBALS
3- if not, is there a way of getting a hold of JC tech support? I looked on the Internet and can't seem to be able to find anyone.

Cheers!

A quick look thru the PowerManage install manual shows it was written by Tyco that I believe owns DSC. There are specific fields for different DSC families only. To me this does not look like a standard monitoring service but instead centralized software for someone to manage multiple DSC systems. Similar to Compass software for Ademco/Honeywell. DSC calls a number of their Panels "Power Series" so PowerManage implies talking to DSC systems.

Last edited:
Hi Dwalt;

Thanks for that information. Yes, Tyco does own DSC. I guess I'm up a creek trying to connect my ELK M1G to it then. Unless there is some sort of a Bridge available that translates it all. Although the PPT I saw on this PowerManage did show a DSC- SurGard connecting to the PowerManage software... and M1XEP has that DSC-SurGard option for setting up... I just got off the phone with my old alarm company ALARM RELAY (15yrs+), but since I sold that house and am no longer a client, they didn't want to help me.

Or, I sell the ELK and buy a DSC Neo. All my sensors are hardwired, it wouldn't be to hard (except for the expansion modules all around the house)

Happy Holidays

Back