Outdoor Wireless Access Point Recommendations

BraveSirRobbin

My friend has a fairly large property (200' x 200') with multiple houses, sheds, garages, etc... where WiFi is needed (from one access point coming from the house.  The house isn't centered in the property.  She does have a pole a bit outside the house where she has power available.   I was thinking of using something like THIS to place on that pole for overall coverage (not to expensive and should do the trick) but many members here have a lot of experience dealing with problems like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HTANYQA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01HTANYQA&pd_rd_w=WwBbZ&pf_rd_p=46cdcfa7-b302-4268-b799-8f7d8cb5008b&pd_rd_wg=f98ND&pf_rd_r=JQJ44Q1ZSJ8AX667C837&pd_rd_r=e80d5c04-64f7-11e9-af2b-df456cd2a423  

IN case link is incorrect; EnGenius 802.11ac Wave 2 2x2 Dual Band, high-powered, Outdoor wireless AP with external detachable antenna, 27dBm, 24V PoE, quad-core CPU, MU-MIMO, Beamforming, IP55 (ENS620EXT)     Am I going in the correct direction?  Can you recommend another method?

I've been using Ubiquity for a long time... I put a outdoor access point up on the second floor (indoors actually) and it covers pretty much my whole property (1 acre). One other access point in the basement as it got a little low down there. Pro level management SW.

I have internet cabled to my detached garage through a buried conduit so I was able to put a wireless access point router indoors there.

Mike.

BraveSirRobbin said:

I don't know a whole lot about networking, just what I've taught myself. The Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-PRO-US Unifi Access Point claims a faster speed and has more positive reviews so I like that but it costs more. I suppose I go i'd th that one. These devices are pretty common and i'd bet that they would both do the job in a small yard. I'd be mostly concerned about the device's ability to withstand the weather. That's why I put mine inside. Look for an IP65 or IP67 rating for weatherproofing.

http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

Mike.

I have a 200 x 200' property and I use a single Asus AC1900 router. My SSID can be picked up many lots down the street. I turned my 2.4 and 5GHz down to 15-25% power and things  have worked much better.

I believe those little antennae cannot handle the power from two frequencies simultaneously without distorting the signals. My wife's iPad could not receive the 5GHz from 15' across the room, until I lowered the output power. But then that is an Apple product so who knows?

I keep my router on top of a cabinet near the ceiling, on the main floor of my bungalow inside a brick home. There are some weak spots under the staircase at the far end of the home, but I suspect the Venstar stat there is a known bad WiFi unit, as both of the Venstar units I have, refuse to heal with this router anyway.

With larger properties and lots of distance between neighbours, there shouldn't be much rf noise or competing WiFi. Do not choose Channel 1 or 6, or automatic selection (default)  on 2.4 Ghz,  and keep the 5Ghz to channels that are not on the Radar disconnect list if anywhere near any aircraft flight paths or aeroports. 5Ghz has it in the spec to immediately shut down and change channels due to radar sharing the frequencies. Avoid those channels

LarrylLix said:
I have a 200 x 200' property and I use a single Asus AC1900 router. My SSID can be picked up many lots down the street. I turned my 2.4 and 5GHz down to 15-25% power and things  have worked much better

I have an Arris NVG448BQ router installed by Frontier cable and it doesn't reach my back yard about 200' from the router. It is located near the ceiling of the ground floor near the rear of the house.

LarrylLix said:
I believe those little antennae cannot handle the power from two frequencies simultaneously without distorting the signals. My wife's iPad could not receive the 5GHz from 15' across the room, until I lowered the output power. But then that is an Apple product so who knows?

I keep my router on top of a cabinet near the ceiling, on the main floor of my bungalow inside a brick home. There are some weak spots under the staircase at the far end of the home, but I suspect the Venstar stat there is a known bad WiFi unit, as both of the Venstar units I have, refuse to heal with this router anyway.

With larger properties and lots of distance between neighbours, there shouldn't be much rf noise or competing WiFi. Do not choose Channel 1 or 6, or automatic selection (default)  on 2.4 Ghz,  and keep the 5Ghz to channels that are not on the Radar disconnect list if anywhere near any aircraft flight paths or aeroports. 5Ghz has it in the spec to immediately shut down and change channels due to radar sharing the frequencies. Avoid those channels

I have a wifi scanning software and have set the router to a channel that is different than any in the area. It sounds like that Asus Tx is doing a great job for you.

Mike.

She wanted both 2.4 and 5 GHz so that antenna wouldn't work.  

For Ubiquiti, which would you recommend?

https://www.amazon.c...B5YH8N1MS84K24T

Helped a friend with his farm and multiple homes / barns and outbuildings and just ran cable underground to another home ~ 300 feet away and installed another AP there. 

Wired 2nd home is on top of a hill and highest point on his property.

farm.jpg

BTW not sure of the footprint you will get with 5Ghz or even the need for it outdoors.  (200 feet isn't really a huge distance anyhow).

mikefamig said:
I have an Arris NVG448BQ router installed by Frontier cable and it doesn't reach my back yard about 200' from the router. It is located near the ceiling of the ground floor near the rear of the house.

I have a wifi scanning software and have set the router to a channel that is different than any in the area. It sounds like that Asus Tx is doing a great job for you.

Mike.
Things were not so good originally. I kept increasing the RF output levels and it got worse. Then I tried very low RF output levels and the distance for both frequencies increased greatly. Also, then  my router stopped overheating and became much more reliable. People over 5-600 feet away can still see my SSID beacons quite well.

LarrylLix said:
Things were not so good originally. I kept increasing the RF output levels and it got worse. Then I tried very low RF output levels and the distance for both frequencies increased greatly. Also, then  my router stopped overheating and became much more reliable. People over 5-600 feet away can still see my SSID beacons quite well.

How do you explain that? I would think that decreasing the power would decrease the range. My router shows 100% output but I don't think that it can be adjusted. I'll have to have another look.

Mike.

EDIT - I looked again and found that I can adjust the RF power as low as 50%. I'll try lowering it and see what happens.

Back