Outdoor Wireless Access Point Recommendations

Recently purchased a Ruckus AP.  This AP allows for 25 SSIDs.  Totally different OS than the Ubiquiti devices.

It has a self healing AP to client relationship and will adjust automagically.

ruckus.jpg

Purchased an indoor AP and POE mounted it in a closet in the center of the home.  Works fine here on the second floor, main floor and basement.

It is a bit more expensive than the Ubiquiti APs.  That said there are many on Ebay sold as new old stock these days.

Here are some pictures of their outdoor stuff which is used all over the country for opensector AP stuff (public internet).

ruckus.jpg

mikefamig said:

How do you explain that? I would think that decreasing the power would decrease the range. My router shows 100% output but I don't think that it can be adjusted. I'll have to have another look.

Mike.

EDIT - I looked again and found that I can adjust the RF power as low as 50%. I'll try lowering it and see what happens.
As I posted before "I believe those little antennae cannot handle the power from two frequencies simultaneously without distorting the signals. "

That is the only explanation I can figure. When you shove two frequencies that are very close but not exact 2:1 you get all kinds of harmonics and beat frequencies. Also, too much power can just get reflected back t the output electronics as it cannot be radiated from the poorly designed and placed radiator.
I don't believe these router companies are experts with antenna technology and mostly just software techs.

Back