Photo
- - - - -

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you worried about the Corona Virus

Are you worried about the Corona Virus

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 carealtor

carealtor

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Harmony
  • Hardware:ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:07 AM

It's just so interesting how those of us who think (as least somewhat) logically, which includes all/most here, versus those who think and react on their emotions.

#152 LarrylLix

LarrylLix

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:ISY-99, Custom
  • Tech:INSTEON, 1-Wire, Custom
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:Ooma

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:56 PM

It's just so interesting how those of us who think (as least somewhat) logically, which includes all/most here, versus those who think and react on their emotions.

I have noticed that in most of my everyday encounters with people. If you make a hypothetical statement or question, most of the non-logical types will ague that is not true or not happening. They just cant hear the word "If".

Computer types are usually  familiar with the word "If". Then there is the iUser crowd. :axe:  

#153 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9761 posts
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:22 AM

It's gotten really quiet out there.  Seeing a few folks outdoors just walking dogs or themselves.

IT company that my children worked at closed it's doors last Sunday via an email sent out to all employees. 

Good news for my son today as he got called back to work this morning.

Noticed that 2 day Amazon deliveries extended to the end of next month a few days back.  That and read in the news that this issue has caused a few Amazon warehouses to close.  

Here are the current stats.  

CDC

BTW and unrelated to OP I am back to using Chrome just for CT as it appears that Firefox is not working again just for CT. Both Comcast and AT&T monthly (not on contract) rates went up $30 per month. Only solution per the CS folks was to sign a 2-3 year contract to save ~$5 per month. I read somewhere that AT&T doesn't want Direct TV any more and will most likely sell it soon. Also read that Plex and Kodi have been removed from Google searches.

#154 ano

ano

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3559 posts
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:UPB, ZigBee
  • Audio:HAI

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, we only leave the house now for walks. The number of cases in the state doubles about every two days, but our governor hasn't envoked a stay-at-home order yet, although I'm not sure where you would go anyway. With the numbers in our state, and realizing its probably actually 10 times worth than that, its just playing Russian Roulette to do much.  We use the following for supplies... 

Amazon - If they list it, it will usually arrive eventually, but most things take a week to 2 months now. 

Costco Online - They are pretty much wiped out of most things, but things with "2 day shipping" are arriving in 5. 

Boxed Greens - Local company delivering vegetables/fruit  and some meat and eggs, and work with local farmers. They deliver once per week, early in the morning before 7am. Got our first delivery today, and I'm very impressed. Only missing one item they didn't have, and all the fruit and veggies really looked good. 

Natures Purpose - Another local meal delivery service. Order by Thursday, get food delivered Sunday afternoon. Lots of options and good prices. We will be getting out first shipments Sunday. 

Amazon Now/Whole Food - Order online then pick it up at the store. TERRIBLE. Tried it several weeks ago. Wasted hours of our time, and we never got anything.

Grocery Stores - A Mess. They have senior hours but they are a joke. We think going in them is two risky. Pickup service VERY OVERLOADED. Around here, don't bother, but the National Guard started assisting as of yesterday.  

Walmart Pickup - Seems to be kinda working, but pickup time is several days out. Will try for prescription pickup, and maybe some food, because some things aren't available in other channels. 

On DirecTV, had it for many years, but satellite TV is dead now. I paid $125/month for 3 TVs and a DVR. I now have Youtube TV for $50/month which is better. 

#155 LarrylLix

LarrylLix

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:51 PM

Check this video out. Very funny!!

https://digg.com/202...ion-coronavirus

#156 LarrylLix

LarrylLix

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:24 PM

COVID-19? The worst is yet to come!

Just wait until Jehovah's Witness discovers everybody is at home!

#157 pvrfan

pvrfan

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Audio:AirPlay

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:11 AM

• Infections top 64,000: Mainland China has recorded 5,090 more cases of the novel coronavirus[/url] bringing the global total to 64,435. The death toll from the coronavirus[/url] has now risen to at least 1,383, outside mainland China.
  •  
  • About the spiking numbers: China's government said the spike in cases was due to a change in how cases are tabulated. The total will now include "clinically diagnosed cases" — people who demonstrate all the symptoms of Covid-19 but have either been unable to access a test or are believed to have falsely tested negative.
  •  
  • Medical workers at risk: China says over 1,700 medical workers have been infected by the virus, and six have died.

Pete's first post in this thread was about 6.5 weeks ago.  As of today, there are over 800,000 cases worldwide--a 12.5-fold increase.  Death toll is now over 39,000.

Also, the quote that China was reporting clinically diagnosed cases is very interesting.  AFAICT, virtually all other countries are only reporting "confirmed cases" and thus seriously under-reporting the extent of the infections.  Lots of people clearly have the symptoms but not sick enough for hospitalization and no need for the official test.  Thus never counted as a confirmed case.  And, of course, critical testing supplies are in extremely short supply worldwide so again the "confirmed case count" is far below the true number of infected.

Suppose the virus continues to spread (and we test) at the same rate for another 6.5 weeks.  That would be 10 million confirmed cases by mid-May.  Possibly 500,000 dead worldwide.  

Yikes.  I'm staying in today.

Craig

Edited by pvrfan, 31 March 2020 - 08:13 AM.

#158 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9761 posts
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:15 AM

Spoke with next door retired neighbor yesterday.  His son works in a large University hospital in downtown Chicago.  He is a medical records keeper.

Got tested this past week and was positive. 

Also tested was his wife and children and they all tested positive. 

His daught just came home from college and has been home for the last couple of weeks and she too tested positive.

Trying to ease my neighbor told him that if his son / daughter / kids are healthy best guesstimates that it will pass fast for them.  He was depressed and I told him to remain optimistic.

#159 LarrylLix

LarrylLix

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:07 PM

Seeing Prince Charles out and at large we discovered the quaratine period in the UK is only seven days.

This may pass quickly for some people.

Anybody know what happened to Trump's wife? It was hinted that she tested positive a ways back.

#160 ano

ano

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3559 posts
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:UPB, ZigBee
  • Audio:HAI

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:47 AM

Anybody know what happened to Trump's wife? It was hinted that she tested positive a ways back.

I think Melania has been staying 50+ ft. from Trump months and years before the virus was even discovered, so she was very insightful. A women well ahead of her time.  ^_^

In Iceland, they have randomly testing the population, and they discovered 50% of the population had no symptoms whatsoever, so without adequate testing, like in the US, this likely means double the number of people thought are likely infected, actually probably many many more, since many people can't get tested, and I believe only official test positives go into the numbers we see.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users