• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
linuxha said:
I want to say no but I'm saying undecided for now. I don't trust the information out of China. Let's see how well the rest of the world deals with this and I'll decide. I think we'll see this again next year.
I don't trust the information we get here in the US either.

I heard on the news that they took people out of quarantine on the cruise ship after two weeks and put them all together in buses and airplanes. Is this true? Imagine that you are one of the still healthy people and you are told that you are going on a bus with other passeners I don't care if they're showing symptoms or not, I'd go kicking and screaming.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I don't trust the information we get here in the US either.

I heard on the news that they took people out of quarantine on the cruise ship after two weeks and put them all together in buses and airplanes. Is this true? Imagine that you are one of the still healthy people and you are told that you are going on a bus with other passeners I don't care if they're showing symptoms or not, I'd go kicking and screaming.

Mike.
This was the U.S. evacuation plan, and it was not mandatory.  Many stayed on the ship, which Japan is working through, and they should be released in a few days if they test negative, but they can't return to the US for 2 weeks. 

545 on the ship positive. I'm not sure if this includes the 300 the US took off the ship, of which, 14 were positive.  

If you actually get the virus, most people describe it as pretty mild. There are only a handful of deaths outside of China, and most of these deaths were in those pretty old or pretty sick to start. Lots of deaths in China but you do have to wonder how good the medical care they are getting there. I suspect not up to US standards in most cases.  

I was at a large conference in San Francisco about two weeks ago.  Attendance was down maybe 10% which was about the number of Chinese attendees which didn't show up.  About 110 of 1200 booths were Chinese and not there. 

As we look at the under 5 that have died of this virus in the US, keep in mind this season 92 children, and 14,000 adults have died from the flu so far in the U.S., with 250,000 hospitalizations this season.  Perhaps the Corona virus is not our biggest worry. 

ano said:
545 on the ship positive. I'm not sure if this includes the 300 the US took off the ship, of which, 14 were positive.  

If you actually get the virus, most people describe it as pretty mild. There are only a handful of deaths outside of China, and most of these deaths were in those pretty old or pretty sick to start. Lots of deaths in China but you do have to wonder how good the medical care they are getting there. I suspect not up to US standards in most cases.  

I was at a large conference in San Francisco about two weeks ago.  Attendance was down maybe 10% which was about the number of Chinese attendees which didn't show up.  About 110 of 1200 booths were Chinese and not there. 

As we look at the under 5 that have died of this virus in the US, keep in mind this season 92 children, and 14,000 adults have died from the flu so far in the U.S., with 250,000 hospitalizations this season.  Perhaps the Corona virus is not our biggest worry. 
Figures to back that up.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Seems the coronavirus is a very minor flu compared to the ones we already know of.

Some news this morning from USA Today.

Study: Virus far more deadly than flu

The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention put the overall death rate for the virus at 2.3%. The season's flu death rate in the U.S. thus far is about 0.1%, according to the U.S. CDC.

Still, the coronavirus death rate is far below that of severe acute respiratory syndrome – SARS – which swept across China almost two decades ago. SARS death rate was almost 10%, although less than 10,000 SARS cases were ever confirmed.

What reporting I see, there is NO reporting on is the age and background of those that died.  And what was the final cause of death?  

Things also don't seem consistent.  For example, over 500 on the Princess cruise ship were infected, and I probably don't need to mention this, but the people on a Princess cruise ship definitely toward the OLDER side of patients. And using Pete's calculation, 2.3% or at least 12 people should die, but I haven't heard of even one death in this group. Many say symptoms were quite mild.  

So I think we are missing lots of info.  

pete_c said:
Some news this morning from USA Today.

Study: Virus far more deadly than flu

The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention put the overall death rate for the virus at 2.3%. The season's flu death rate in the U.S. thus far is about 0.1%, according to the U.S. CDC.

Still, the coronavirus death rate is far below that of severe acute respiratory syndrome – SARS – which swept across China almost two decades ago. SARS death rate was almost 10%, although less than 10,000 SARS cases were ever confirmed.
Looks like another fear mongering article using bent statistics as bait. Some have been charged with criminal offenses, in regards to fear mongering publicly about the latest corona virus.

None of the calculation sources were shown from CDC statistics to support the wild claim in the article. CDC publishes the latest approx. 5.6% death rate from US common flu cases this winter season to date, depending on which figures you use. 

One reason for flu figure being so varied and wide ranged in that flu is not a reportable disease in many states so wild estimates have to be done.

Figures lie and liars figure! :) :) 

The so-called news media has become totally biased as far as I can see. No matter what the topic there are always different factions skewing statistics, facts and rumors to make their point. I love switching between CNN and Fox news on TV and watching them come to opposite conclusions using the same "facts". The TV media is extremely powerful and completely manipulated. Money talks and you can actually hear it speak when you turn on the TV.

In the early days of TV there were no commercial ads on news programs because there was a fear that the news would be compromised by accepting money from outside sources. Imagine that.

MIke.

Personally here do not watch TV and I take what I want from the Internet and give just a tad back when I want to. 

I still listen to the BBC these days but they too now are very opinionated and bias these days.  It used to be just bland and factual which I liked.  It is no longer that.

Listening to the radio  / watching television locally these days remind me of vacationing in banana republics and seeing and hearing all kinds of manupulative media managed by the local pols in whatever country I happen to be in.

Getting back to the OP....now reading this....more than once....

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1301]

I live in China. 2 days before it was exposed, I just happen to have trsveled to the US. Now I am stuck here for several months until I can return. I can tell you from my sources there, that it is bad.....real bad. People better take this bio-weapon serious. It can and will spread into the US in greater numbers. Wash your hands, do not touch people.

People better take this bio-weapon serious

So you are writing that the virus leaked out of lab?

Poppycock. 

When I tell people that I vacation in Mexico, they freak out, and ask me if I am not worried about violence.
I tell them "No", I am afraid of going to the Toronto Aeroport, where there is a murder every day.

pete_c said:
Personally here do not watch TV and I take what I want from the Internet and give just a tad back when I want to. 

I still listen to the BBC these days but they too now are very opinionated and bias these days.  It used to be just bland and factual which I liked.  It is no longer that.

Listening to the radio  / watching television locally these days remind me of vacationing in banana republics and seeing and hearing all kinds of manupulative media managed by the local pols in whatever country I happen to be in.

Getting back to the OP....now reading this....more than once....

Very true. I remember the olden days when news articles were news articles and contained the factual details of a story.  Today most news articles seem to be opinion pieces written by the reporter because that is far easier than gathering news which takes hard work.  As staffs have been cut, and "clicks" have become the most important, this is how things have evolved, unfortunately.   

Support ProPublica and the few news organizations that still gather actual news. 

Looks like 2 people from the Diamond Princess have died. They were both 84+ with other health problems.

Back