4-Wire Cosmo Smoke Reset, M1 and Inspector

kwschumm

Our new build has 10 SystemSensor COSMO4W 4-wire smokes connected to a COSMOD4W interface.

Smoke loop power is supplied by an external Altronix power supply.

For smoke alarm reset the M1G SAUX is connected to a NO relay that interrupts the power supplied by the Altronix.

When the M1 is running everything seems to work fine.

When the M1 is shut off there is no power to the smokes.

The inspector says the smoke alarms must still work when the security panel is down.

I tried to use an output relay to simply interrupt the altronix supplied smoke power but it seems there is no WHENEVER trigger that can be invoked when the keypad RESET FIRE ALARM item runs.

Ideas welcome please! And thanks if advance.

It seems strange that he would worry about the M1 being turned off.  Suppose you took the M1 out of the picture and someone turned off the Altronix power supply?

This following seems like a stupid solution to me, but it might work to satisfy the inspector.

Rather than connecting your relay coil to SAUX to power it, connect it to an M1 output.  Use the NC contacts to provide power to the smokes.

Then dedicate a keypad function key to reset the smoke detectors. Write a rule that will do two things when the function key is pressed:

1. Issue a Reset Smoke Power command.  This will cause the M1 to ignore power being lost to the smokes.
   2. Activate the Elk output that controls your relay for 5 seconds and causes it to drop power to the smokes.

This should accomplish the same thing as the real Reset Smoke Power command.  But if the M1 is turned off, the relay won't change state because it isn't controlled by SAUX.

The only thing I don't care for is having the reset smoke function on a function key that might be pressed accidentally.  But if that happens, no real harm will be done. If that accidental reset worries you, you could write additional rules that turn on a phantom output on for 5 seconds on the first press, and then if the key is pressed a second time and the phantom output is on, then do the smoke reset function.

[Edit]:

Another solution comes to mind if you would prefer to use the real keypad Reset Smokes command and not give up a function key.

Connect SAUX power to a relay coil, as you have it now.
Connect the contacts on the relay to an M1 input.

Connect an M1 output to a second relay coil.

Wire the Altronix power to the smokes through the NC contacts of the second relay.

Write a rule that when the input changes state, it will turn on the M1 output that activates the second relay for 5 seconds, causing it to interrupt power to the smokes.

Overall, I think I like this approach better than using the function key.

Thank you RAL for your comments.

That is what I was planning to do but I want to utilize the keypad "Reset Smoke Detectors" function to do the reset. I don't like having an important function on the keypad that doesn't work.

But, on the upside, a function key is certainly more convenient for those who don't know how to work the keypad.

Thanks again!

kwschumm said:
Thank you RAL for your comments.

That is what I was planning to do but I want to utilize the keypad "Reset Smoke Detectors" function to do the reset. I don't like having an important function on the keypad that doesn't work.

But, on the upside, a function key is certainly more convenient for those who don't know how to work the keypad.

Thanks again!
In case you missed my latest edit, see my second solution added to my previous post.

Oh... Wow, that's very clever, and in a Rube Goldberg-ish way. I think it will work!

Thanks RAL, that should do it.

Back