Premise Welcome to the Premise Home Control forum

Motorola Premise

Welcome!
Premise Home Control is one of the best free Home Automation programs available. This forum is dedicated to sharing tips and tricks as well as answering your questions.

Please see the Premise Wiki for a complete description of Premise Home Control.

congrats to both E & 123; soon, the sun will never set on the cocoontech & HA empire :)

Thanks 123, and thanks to John who setup the Yahoo group and wrote some great modules.

I really hope this site can steer more H/A minded people to try and use Premise.

Excellent post, I am definitely going to give this software a try in the next few weeks.

Looks like a great upgrade from the Yahoo groups board. Thanks 123! Looking forward to having a larger audience of enthusiasts and coders who might be willing to share their ideas, new modules, and drivers. Hopefully some of the posts from the Yahoo group can be ported over, there's been some interesting stuff there in the past 6 months!

-Will Gosling

Are questions and answers from the yahoo group forum going to move over here as well?

Yes! My proposal, to the Yahoo membership, is to transfer summaries of the message threads rather than verbatim copies. I think people want the Yahoo content for its collective knowledge rather than for historical reading. I'm awaiting replies ... and volunteers to divvy up the big job.

I also encourage everyone to search through the original Premise forum because it contains valuable tips and examples. Hopefully, this new forum will attract many of the old hands who frequented the original forum and then fell off the Premise planet (so to speak). ;)

Are there any drivers currently available that fully support recent SAI UPB devices?

I can't speak from experience but, based on at least one other Premise user's inquiries, I'd have to conclude that the existing UPB driver does not support recent devices.

I believe the UPB driver is a "native Device Driver" meaning it is a DLL and was created using the C++ SDK. If I'm not mistaken the source code is available and someone, with appropriate experience, could update it.

FWIW, I'm writing a Module-based driver for the Elk M1. You'll have access to lighting-control via the M1's many hardware interfaces (Insteon, UPB, Zwave, X10).

Are there any drivers currently available that fully support recent SAI UPB devices?

I can't speak from experience but, based on at least one other Premise user's inquiries, I'd have to conclude that the existing UPB driver does not support recent devices.

I believe the UPB driver is a "native Device Driver" meaning it is a DLL and was created using the C++ SDK. If I'm not mistaken the source code is available and someone, with appropriate experience, could update it.

FWIW, I'm writing a Module-based driver for the Elk M1. You'll have access to lighting-control via the M1's many hardware interfaces (Insteon, UPB, Zwave, X10).

That would probably be me ;)

First, understand that the drivers for UPB are rather old. So none of the recent SAI products are directly supported. For instance, I have a couple of US2-40 switches and it recognizes it as a multi-button switch, but not correctly. The load works from Premise, but the buttons do not. You can look at the XML files included with the drivers to see what is supported.

And the SDK is still available, so anyone that can program in C++ could make it work.

Anyone? :D

I've been able to tie X10 and UPB together via Premise so I can use the RF switches for instance, to turn on UPB lights, etc. But with X10 reaction time can be a bit slow.

And the SDK is still available, so anyone that can program in C++ could make it work.

Sam,

I've started reviewing the posts in Premise SYS Community, to estimate the effort needed to transfer the threads, and I encountered your post on October 9, 2006 asking for the very same thing. You are a patient man! :D

Cocooners, find it in your hearts to take up the UPB torch and help make Sam's dream come true!

;)

Sam,

I've started reviewing the posts in Premise SYS Community, to estimate the effort needed to transfer the threads, and I encountered your post on October 9, 2006 asking for the very same thing. You are a patient man! :D

Cocooners, find it in your hearts to take up the UPB torch and help make Sam's dream come true!

;)

I don't know about patient, maybe just too busy too worry about it :D

I just installed the US2-40's so it really hasn't been an issue thus far. I cheated on my HAL/Fry's switches by editing the PCS driver dll directly with XN Resource editor and replacing a few key pieces with the info I needed and those switches work. Unfortunately, the lamp and appliance modules have a different manufacturer ID so I couldn't cheat those. So I've not been able to make them work. So it is quickly becoming an issue now.

But either way, have driver's that are written for the actual devices would certainly be alot better.

I am NOT a programmer, but I do graphics and such. I would love to see alternative interfaces for Premise. I have themed something quite different looking, which I'd be glad to share, but it is based on the stock layout.

RetroPremise.jpg

We should probably start a "what we want" thread :)

Back