2Wire Router Doesn't see M1XEP

Ranman

Trying to get access to my M1XEP and ultimately the M1 via ElkRMS and am having trouble connecting. When I go into my router's configuration, there is no M1XEP on the network 192.168.0.251 or otherwise. What does the M1XEP typically show up as on the network?

I rebooted the XEP and I have a solid orange led and blinking green led on the XEP's RJ45 jack. Rebotted the router and my PC as well. Still no luck.

The XEP is enrolled because if I unplug it, I get an ethernet trouble code on the keypads.

The XEP manual references Elk RP software and all the screen shots look very different than what I am seeing with the Elk RMS. Isn't the RMS the newest version replacement of the discontinued ElkRP? Something tells me I'm mising something basic here. Can anyone offere some guidance? Thanks so much.

Your router will only see it as a device if it's properly set into DHCP mode and acquires an IP address. While it's in Static mode, your router will never know it's there. You either set a static IP on a computer and connect to the XEP (either through a switch or direct with a crossover cable) to configure it, or you pay close attention to how the manual says to put it in DHCP mode.

I also don't bother with the router status; I often use Advanced IP Scanner from radmin.com - it's free and pretty useful.

Lastly, I know Elk has some newer XEP diagnostic utility, but I don't know what all it does; I haven't touched it - but it might be worth looking at.

As for ElkRP/ElkRMS - ElkRM was replaced by ElkRMS - that's the utility for interacting with the M1 - arming, controlling HVAC, etc; geared for touchscreens. ElkRP also has a newer version, but it's still ElkRP - that's what's used for programming the M1, and the screens haven't really changed in the last 5 years.

Thanks W2P. I was going to next ask if I needed to buy Elk RP, but now that I have access to the M1 owneres area on elkproducts.com, it looks like the Elk RP software is free. (I've already purchased a key for Elk RMS as well).

I'm going to see if I can get the XEP into DHCP mode ( I thought it was enabled by default vs. static IP, but "ill double check/force the mode.

I'm planning to look into the Advancerd IP Scanner tool as well. Thanks again.

Also, if you're going into settings on the router, I have found on a lot of newer 2 wire "gateways" that once the IP for the XEP is set via RP, once you plug the unit into the local network, you're able to configure the gateway to privately assign a fixed IP to that specific MAC and run the remaining hardware as DHCP.

I've preferred to set the XEP's I've put in to a static IP on the private network and then let DNS and NAT do their job, but that's just how I prefer to do it. YMMV

Hi. I just wanted to post a quick follow up for anyone who may read this in the future. After wiring several keypads suing Cat5e cable and then pulling a run from my router to the M1XEP, I learned that the RJ45 ends going into the DBH uss the 568A standard and the XEP is wired as 568B. I 'lemminged" myself into mis-wiring the XEP run by following the same diagram provided for the keypads (568A) which does not work for the XEP. Once I figured this out via a cable tester and rewired the RJ45, the XEP showed up fine. Thanks again for the replys.

Doesn't add up, sounds like a bad crimp was the suspect or split pairs on a cable.

The XEP or almost any other network device don't care if the field wiring is 568A or B, as long as both ends are terminated the same.

Doesn't add up, sounds like a bad crimp was the suspect or split pairs on a cable.

The XEP or almost any other network device don't care if the field wiring is 568A or B, as long as both ends are terminated the same.

You don't mis much, :) . Here's the explanation. My router is in my home office. I have a J-box on the wall that contains 5 keystones (1 x RG6, 3 X RJ45 ethernet and 1 X RJ11 phone). Two of the RJ45's actually connect to another J-box / keystone in my Great room with patch cables connecting to my Xbox and satellite tuner. The last RJ45 runs to the XEP on the back basement wall.

The mis-wire is because at the XEP end I organized the pair colors and terminated the RJ45 jack using the DBH format (568A). The keystone is a punch down and I followed the 568B codes marked on the side of the keystone jack. In this case I was wired 568A on one end and 568B at the other therefore hosing up the orange/whiteorange and green/white green pairs..

I thought the same thing as DEL at first, then came to the above conclusion... that the other end was terminated at a labeled jack of some sort, and this was just an RJ45...

Interestingly enough, if you'd plugged a patch cable from that RJ45 to most modern switches, the switch would've automatically compensated as most have an Auto MDIX which figures out if it's a straight-through cable or a crossover cable (that's the only difference... T568A on both ends or T568B on both ends equal the same thing; A on one end and B on the other, and you have yourself a crossover cable).

Back