3 Gang box & bundle of neutral

pete_c said:
Welcome to the Cocoontech forum methos.

Electric is electric is electric. 

There are no shortcuts.

Have a read here first:

How To: Replace a Light Switch

Basics have been mentioned above.

If you have any doubts about what you see or how to wire up an electric outlet or light switch I would personally call an electrician.

First and foremost when tinkering with your home electric is safety.

For the old fashioned analog light switch typically there are two wires; one being the line (black) and one being the load (goes to the lamp and can be black or some other color like red, blue or yellow). 

Many automated switches are little computers and need neutral and ground these days.

Personally never seen or read about the Eufy Smarth Switch.  Went to the website and they have no documentation posted for installation.

I looked on Amazon and there are pictures / reviews and really nothing about installation.

I did find a couple of pictures and drawings which show the switch to be wired to:

1 - neutral
2 - line
3 - load
4 - ground

Color defaults are typically
1 - white - neutral
2 - line - black
3 - load - can be yellow or blue or red or black depending on electrician - best way to check is at the light source wiring where you will see a white wire and another color going to the light bulb. 
4 - ground - green  - with metal conduit / pipes you can wire ground to box -

Romex I have seen and used is 3 wire plus ground wire (which is not covered).

Curious how many white wires are coming together there.  Typically one white wire (neutral) goes back to the fuse panel and many times the neutral wire to a lamp goes through a switch box and many times it goes right to the light box.

You mentioned 3 wall gang box with two 3 way switches.  A three way switch typically has two wires plus a traveler.
The three way switches each carry a load and line and traveler wire.  I have seen the traveler wire be different colors.

attachicon.gif
T1211.jpg
attachicon.gif
T1211B.jpg

The bundle of neutrals is rather large and thus far, unable to find ones of that size at the local box stores. Its already somewhat crowded in that box to add those mega wirenuts.

Break the bundle down to two bundles with an interconnect white wire.   Typically the wire guage is 14.  Maybe use a 12 guage white wire to interconnect the bundles.

Thx for all the replies.  Was out of town traveling.  I took a snapshot of the "little" booklet of instructions and the box however, 150K upload limit is hard to do.  

You're correct on the count of WHITE & BLACK bundle (4) per bundle.  The 2 switches in the box (1) controls second floor stair lighting (1) foyer.  

The single pole switch had only (2) black wires - no ground.  Switch looks rather old - original most likely 1975?

cobra said:
Note that for safety, all the discussions mention that those two lines must use a common breaker.  This is a safety issue, so that one line cannot be energized while the other is de-energized (and sharing the neutral.)

The shared neutral circuit uses two breakers of the same amperage that must be 90 degrees out of sync with each other. The breakers are situated alongside each other in the breaker box and their switches are physically tied to each other so that when one is turned on and off the other gets turned on and off with it. It is impossible for one to be on and the other off.

Mike.

Each one of the lines uses it own breaker.

cobra said:
Note that for safety, all the discussions mention that those two lines must use a common breaker.  This is a safety issue, so that one line cannot be energized while the other is de-energized (and sharing the neutral.)

The shared neutral circuit uses two breakers of the same amperage situated alongside each other in the breaker box making them 90 degrees out of sync with each other. The switches are physically tied to each other so that when one is turned on or off the other is switched at the same time making it impossible for one to be on while the other is off. They go on and off together.

Mike.

I need to point out that I am not an electrician. I'm just sharing what I've learned through my own experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Mike.

Back