3Com Audrey

I picked up the Sandisk 128Meg card and the PCMCIA reader yesterday (I am also working on upgrading a Fujitsu 510, as seen in my other post)

It appears that I can save the image to the card in the Audrey, but when I put it in the laptop, I am prompted with a request of whether or not I want to format it. I tried formatting it and then saving the image again within the Audrey and the same prompt to format is repeated. I downloaded the Gemulator program and have had no success. The program runs but cannot see anything on the flash card.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Why are you trying to read the card on the PC? Which image have you written to the CF card in the Audrey? The existing image from the Audrey? Or one of the downloaded images? Just to be sure... How did you get the image onto the CF card? If you have written the downloaded image onto the CF card in the Audrey using the cat command, you're ready to flash the Audrey.

As I understand it, I need to backup my Audrey before attempting to flash it. I bought the CF card and the PCMCIA adaptor to move info around and save the CF backup to my latop. I put the CF card in the laptop before beginning, and I checked to see if everything was reading ok. I even used this time to move the wireless drivers to the Fujitsu 510 that I have been discussing in this forum. I put the CF card in the Audrey and ran the following commands:

devb-cf
cat /dev/fs0p0 /dev/fs0p1 > /def/cf

I pulled the CF card out of the Audrey and put it in the PCMCIA card in my laptop. My laptop now began asking me if I wanted to format the card. I tried using Gemulator and still could not read the card.

I reformatted the card and retried everything about. Still no go.

In the meantime, I also tried backing up directly to my server. When I did it I got a response that seemed to indicate the /dev/fs0p1 of the command worked and the /dev/fs0p0 did not. (I am unsure of the actual verbage, it was late and I was tired :) ). I have a file on my server right now that's approx. 15.2 megs. Is that the whole backup? Maybe I don't have to worry about using this PCMCIA card and just transfer the files through the network (which I thought would be easier for me personally)

Thanks again

independentpete said:
The "Infinity" image (the one I use) also has original Audrey functiuonality, plus the HA hacks, plus a bunch of other hacks.
What kind of HA hacks are we talking about? Anything that compliments Homeseer?

After writing to the CF card through the Audrey, it will not be readable by a PC. That's why it asks you to reformat it. I guess Gemulator is supposed to let you read other formats on your PC, but I have no experience with Gemulator, so I can't comment on it.

The backup of the existing Audrey image is optional. I did it directly to the PC share by mounting a PC share and then issuing a command like cat /dev/fs0p0 /dev/fs0p1 > /MountName/ImageName. Substitute your own mount name and make ImageName whatever you wish. The reslting file is 16,128 KB (15.7 MB). Your 15.2 MB sounds a little bit off. You might want to try again.

If you use the mcsAudrey plugin with HS, the HA hacks will allow HS to control the Audrey - like turn it on/off based on a motion sensor or send send caller ID info to it. I'm just getting started with this plugin, so I can't give you full details. Check out the mcsAudrey forum on the HS message board for more info - http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=684.

P.S. All the HA hacks included in the HA images are things that you can apply yourself - one-by-one. However, if you intend to use the mcsAudrey plugin, getting started is much easier if you already have all the hacks installed.

Ok, sounds like someone needs an overview of the process to apply the image(s) to the Audrey. Refer to specific instructions available elsewhere for the particular procedures mentioned below. Some steps are critical to those individual procedures. The process is as follows:

Obtain the image of choice from whatever site you wish. Insure the file is complete (don't use MS' size or the size on disk - check the actual Size via Properties). The file should be exactly 16,515,072 bytes. Put the file in the PC share that Audrey can access. For safety, you might want to make it read-only, if it isn't already.

On your Audrey, mount the share. Insure you can see the file from the Audrey mount point. Optionally make a backup copy of the existing Audrey image using the "cat" command to copy the existing Audrey internal flash ROM to the share under another filename. The destination of the "cat" command redirect will be your mount point for the share with a filename appended, such as

Code:
  devb-cf
  cat /dev/fs0p0 /dev/fs0p1 /dev/fs0p2 > /mnt/pcshare/basic.cf

Insert the CF card into the Audrey. Initiate a CF burn to pull the new image file from the share and flash it into the CF card (the destination of the "cat" redirect will be /dev/cf). Check the ending status messages to be sure it was successful. Example:

Code:
  devb-cf
  cat /mnt/pcshare/StockHA.cf > /dev/cf

You may want your machines on a UPS for the next step. If power blinks or dies during an internal ROM flash process, it is possible the Audrey could be rendered unusable.

Follow the procedures to reboot your Audrey and hold down the appropriate buttons to get the Audrey to now update its internal flash from the CF card.

Hopefully, this is successful. If not, Audrey should revert to the original flash image, and you can try again.

Hope this helps.

Looks like I have everything working fine. I like the skin of the Infinity image - looks real nice.

Now back to the Fujitsu Tablet...

Thanks for the help everyone!

If you own an Audrey (I have 5) you need to be aware of http://www.audreyhacking.com. This wiki contains a wealth of information about the Audrey including how to copy and restore images. Here's an alternate link on that subject. It also contains several flavours of the Infinity image and others. There's also Pete Flaherty's MrAudrey site (site is down at the moment) that contains an excellent image tuned to work with MisterHouse ... but can be used with other HA systems if you know what to tweak.

Back