42A00-2 setup problems

JBTech

Hi all, I am in the process of installing the 42a00-2 wireless receiver on my omni IIE and having a few problems.  The Green Status light is on Steady but the Red Status light is flickering and I can't seem to program any transmitters.  The LED display seems good and the mode LED blinks 1/sec which seems to indicate things are configured correctly.  The Flickering Red Status light doesn't seem normal from everything I've been able to find on the subject.  Would greatly appreciate any advice for thoughts.

Thanks,

Green top light on is normal. The red one below it flickers and is pretty dim. That is normal.

So there some settings to set first. You need to decide how many wireless zones you need. Pick 16 or 32 unless you REALLY NEED More.  Now the wireless receiver looks like an expansion enclosure to the Omni. Every bank of 16 zones equals 1 expansion enclosure.

So you open up the wireless receiver and see the two pushbuttons in there.  You increment to the zone you want to program, then usually trigger the sensor by inserting the battery or triggering the tamper switch.  At that moment you should see one or both of the LED dots before and after the two digit number light up. Do did you see any dots light up?  This tells you its programmed. Put it back in run mode.  Then trigger the sensor and it should flash the zone number and AL  which is "Alarm."  The receiver probably will work fine even if the Omni is not set correctly.  Is any of that working?   

Wait update, the IIe only supports one group of 16 added wireless zones, but if you like each zone can have up to 4 wireless sensors.  I other words, wireless zone 1, 17, 33, and 49 are all the same zone as the Omni sees it, but you can have up to 4 sensors for that zone if you like.

Thanks Cocoonut.  The instructions threw me for a bit of a loop because they indicated the Red Status light should be off unless there was Valid Transmitter Packets being recieved which I thought would only happen when I had a transmitter programmed (which I didn't).  I also didn't realize I needed to remove the battery in the transmitter in order to trigger the sensor.  I wrongly assumed open and closing the door a few times would do the trick.  Now the Wireless Receiver seems to all be good.  I really appreciate your help.  I kind off figured I was doing something wrong since there seemed to be very few if any posts that relate to problems with this Receiver which would indicate it should be a pretty reliable unit.

thanks again!

JBTech said:
Thanks Cocoonut.  The instructions threw me for a bit of a loop because they indicated the Red Status light should be off unless there was Valid Transmitter Packets being recieved which I thought would only happen when I had a transmitter programmed (which I didn't).  I also didn't realize I needed to remove the battery in the transmitter in order to trigger the sensor.  I wrongly assumed open and closing the door a few times would do the trick.  Now the Wireless Receiver seems to all be good.  I really appreciate your help.  I kind off figured I was doing something wrong since there seemed to be very few if any posts that relate to problems with this Receiver which would indicate it should be a pretty reliable unit.

thanks again!
Unfortunately what you have to do on a sensor to "learn" it in the receiver seems to vary by sensor types.  If the sensor has an easily removable battery, usually taking it out and putting it back in when the receiver is in "learn mode" will USUALLY do it.  If there is a tamper switch, usually tripping that will learn it as well.  I have seen some sensors that program just by triggering them, but they are the exception and not the rule.

One other thing.  For some sensors, in normal operation, triggering the tamper switch of a sensor WILL trigger the alarm as well.  This seems to happen with wireless smoke alarms.  Taking them off the wall to replace their battery WILL trigger the alarm.  That has gotten me a few times. 

Back