A potential solution to controlling Schlage locks via M1G

rjsmith0

I recently purchased some z-wave capable Schlage locks. I originally thought these were controllable from the M1G using VRC0P but it looks like that capability isn't in the VRC0P yet. However, the MiCasaVerde Vera controller does interface with Schlage locks and looks to be a very robust Z-wave controller. In addition, there appears to be a "Leviton Vizia RF+ Emulator" which "Emulates a Leviton Vizia RF+ Serial/ZWave interface, lets serial panels to control devices connected to Vera." Basically this plugin (in beta) lets you talk to the Vera as if it were a VRC0P interface over serial. If this would work, I would just use the MiCasaVerde as my VRC0P (about $250 versus $100) and get a lot more capabilities in the process. Does anyone have a MiCasaVerde and an M1G that has tried this or would be willing to? I don't see a lot of information on it thought and am wondering if I should give up on this pipe dream. I seem to hit a dead end everytime I turn.

Link to the Vera plugin information (scroll to the bottom, not much there)
http://www.micasaverde.com/list-of-apps.php

thanks,

Joey

While I don't have a need to control a Zwave lock I am going to try and integrate the Vera2 with the ELK via the ViziaRF emulation plugin on the Vera. The Vera2 just arrived yesterday and I am waiting on an additional ELK serial module. I'll update the group sometime next week.

Does anyone have any insight into how the Elk works with the ViziaRF? How does this integration appear in the RP software? Can you see the individual Zwave devices?

While I don't have a need to control a Zwave lock I am going to try and integrate the Vera2 with the ELK via the ViziaRF emulation plugin on the Vera. The Vera2 just arrived yesterday and I am waiting on an additional ELK serial module. I'll update the group sometime next week.

Does anyone have any insight into how the Elk works with the ViziaRF? How does this integration appear in the RP software? Can you see the individual Zwave devices?

I have a VRC0P on my M1G currently. I am using it with several of the Radioshack modules and thermostats I purchased recently. The Z-Wave configuration is maintained in the Z-Wave network. No configuration is actually maintained inside the M1G. It references the switches by their Z-Wave ID on the network, so if a device has a Z-Wave device ID of 6, then PLC device 6 in the M1G will control it. I would highly recommend purchasing the ThinkEssentials software with a ThinkStick if you are planning to build out a Z-Wave network. It makes everything incredibly easy. I didn't even need the Vizia RF remote using the ThinkEssentials Software. It is possible that the Vera2 would have the necessary tools to manage the network natively and not need the software or remote to manage your network, but I am not that familiar with it. Normally you would need to include your VRC0P into the network and transfer information to it as a secondary controller, but since the VERA will already be a controller, I would think this wouldn't be necessary. The only think you should need to do on the M1G side is setup your M1XSP as a z-wave serial interface and identify the address of any PLC devices you want to control.

Let me know if you need any help from my side. I am a z-wave newbie myself (just been running it for about a week), but worked through initial problems and may be of assistance especially since I have vested interest in getting this working on the Vera as well.

Also, I exchanged emails with Barry at ASIHOME who was trying to get this working on the link in my original post and he said he hoped to resume progress in a couple of weeks (that was a week ago). If we could get the Vera2 working with the M1G controlling all devices on the Vera2, I would buy one today.

thanks,

Joe

This is a neat idea. Does anyone know if the plug-in will work with status updates generated when a user toggles a switch? I'm interested in trying this out with Premise to gain lock support for the VRC0P module.

I just installed the plugin, but the hardware interface is the problem here. The only solution I can think of is to purchase an ELK IP232 serial Ethernet adapter which can also act as a client. Were you thinking of a cheaper method?

I just installed the plugin, but the hardware interface is the problem here. The only solution I can think of is to purchase an ELK IP232 serial Ethernet adapter which can also act as a client. Were you thinking of a cheaper method?

Dan,

My understanding is you would use a USB to serial adapter with the Vera to interface it with an M1XSP just as you would a VRC0P interface. I don't know if it comes with a USB to serial interface or if you have to purchase one separately. Have you had any luck with it?

The Vera doesn't come with a USB-to-Serial adapter, but I guess that would make it a pretty affordable approach. I do have a few USB adapters which I think are Linux compatible, so will have to give it a shot (assuming the Vera ships with drivers for these devices).

The Vera doesn't come with a USB-to-Serial adapter, but I guess that would make it a pretty affordable approach. I do have a few USB adapters which I think are Linux compatible, so will have to give it a shot (assuming the Vera ships with drivers for these devices).

If you haven't found it already, here is a list of compatible USB to Serial devices http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Serial_Supported_Hardware

Thanks for that link. I don't see my adapters on the list, so will have to try it the hard way. That said, I don't see how I can tell the plugin to use the COM port to receive data, it seems to be IP based only.

Thanks for that link. I don't see my adapters on the list, so will have to try it the hard way. That said, I don't see how I can tell the plugin to use the COM port to receive data, it seems to be IP based only.

Im thinking one way to do it would be to use a free port on a serial to ethernet converter. For instance, you could use an Elk M1 serial expander attached to a quatech 4 port serial to ethernet box, which talks to the vera2 over ethernet. it'd be convoluted but you'd save getting a vrc0p for the Elk. I dont know if this will work and Im unable to try it without a Vera2.

I just bought a bunch of zwave devices from radioshack myself so Im thinking about whether to get a USB dongle, vrc0p, or a Vera2. Ultimately, i would like to have control of lighting via handheld remotes, Elk M1, and an overlord computer running Homeseer or Elve or homegrown software.

I'm sort of at a holding pattern since vrc0p hasnt been updated to the firmware upgradable model, and Im not sold on whether to get the Vera2 yet.

Back