Alternative to Logitech Harmony remote control

The best remote I ever owned was a Philips Pronto Neo. Unfortunately they are long gone...

I agree completely - the whole Pronto line was great, after the learning curve. You could do just about anything with these. Nothing similar to Pronto out there?

No, you don't always get what you pay for.

How about Bose and Monster? Not bad, just way overpriced, in my opinion.

:hesaid:

Those are great examples of companies that make a living helping fools depart from their money! I do believe in the mantra that you get what you pay for in a lot of cases... but companies like Monster... :nono: One of my favorite articles I ever read - many years ago, stated that Monster made their money by inventing a cure for a disease that didn't exist - and I couldn't agree more.

I see the MX-980 remote recommended twice, but man, that is an expensive remote! How about the MX-450 or the MX-780? What am I loosing if I dont want RF? I dont find a simple comparative table at URC's site.

I see the MX-980 remote recommended twice, but man, that is an expensive remote! How about the MX-450 or the MX-780? What am I loosing if I dont want RF? I dont find a simple comparative table at URC's site.

The best place to ask is probably over at Remote Central on the URC forum. http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/complete/list.cgi.
Here is a thread on the MX-780. http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/complete/thread.cgi?4239

I have not used either the MX-450 or the MX-780.

I have given up on the Logitech hardware crap. I love the activity-based logic, but they have a very poor hardware quality.

What model Harmony remotes did you have? I've been using a refurbished 550 for almost three years, and I will have to find another when it dies. It has seen heavy use, but the ony problem so far is the label is worn off the "1" button.

What model Harmony remotes did you have? I've been using a refurbished 550 for almost three years, and I will have to find another when it dies. It has seen heavy use, but the ony problem so far is the label is worn off the "1" button.

First it was one from the 600 line, then a refurbished 880,and finally one from the 500 line sold at Costco last year.

Been living with the Harmony Link for over a year an I absolutely love it. My wife and daughter have their own "remote" since we all have iPhones so there's no fussing about who took the remote. Integration for my Pioneer Elite Plasma, Integra Pre, DirectV DVR, and Blue-Ray took all of 15 minutes.

As you can expect, there is the delay cranking up the app but, I can live with a 5 second launch time. I'll sometimes switch back and forth with the DirectV remote (which is hard to beat anyway). Also, the wow factor of the iPad app with the integrated DirectV guide feature is off the chart.

Been living with the Harmony Link for over a year an I absolutely love it.

Yeah, I was pretty excited to see this product. Unfortunately, my theater system is a bit more kludged together, with devices located separate from each other. More importantly, I shut off power (not just sleep mode, but complete power shut off via conditioned power supply) to most when not in use. This means that the startup routine requires a certain order and timing. Since the link does not support macros, I am concerned that is falls a bit short for my application. I percieve, too, that there is not a lot of configurability in the menu layouts, and that I may quickly grow tired of my ability to configure as I wish.

Another concern for folks around here may be whether the harmony remote app can be used more broadly, with lighting and other automation aspects.

Still, for theater systems where everything is grouped together and left in sleep mode, the link seems like a GREAT option. I may still try one some day.

I have a Harmony 550 that we have used for the main TV in our house for several years. Unfortunately the left directional button has stopped working. I too would love to find an alternative. I really like the low price of the harmony (I don't care about the expensive models) and I also need a LCD screen that allows programmed buttons. I have having a plain remote without any custom buttons. There is nothing worse than expecting people to remember that "x" button really does "y", etc. Having the programmable buttons and LCD screen is important so you can label the button properly.

I get around the long macro times by using CQC as my interface. That way each button only sends out s single IR command - even the activity buttons. So when I press "Watch SageTV", the remote only sends out a single IR command that CQC picks up and actually handles all the commands and pauses to get the equipment turned on and tuned to the right channels. This works great and prevents a person from having to point the remote at the TV for 10 seconds which is how long my TV takes to turn on and accept commands.

I use the MX-900 (9 of them). I can control everything in my house from everywhere in my house, although each remote defaults to control local stuff. Highly recommended. SurfRemote.

Back