Amazon Echo to HA Controllers

IVB said:
ok we'll just have to agree that we have different definitions of the word home automation.

And please don't try and tell me IR is actually highly accurate, there's a reason zWave/Insteon, or TCP control was invented.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say? If you don't want to use IR, you don't have to. CastleOS fully supports INSTEON, Z-Wave, and TCP. Not every A/V component is IP accessible, and yes, it is true some IR commands need to be repeated in certain (otherwise secret) sequences. The point is the user/homeowner has choice...

i'm looking at your compatible devices page, trying to figure out what devices you support out of the box for bidirectional control. Most users don't have the time or knowledge to create their own drivers. I don't see 90% of what I control. http://castleos.com/CompatibleDevices.aspx

If you want someone to evaluate your product, you need to let them know what you support. Of course it can't fit on one page, see http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/ExtCont_4_7/ExtContent_Devices.htm for an example of what I mean. CQC needed (25? didn't count) pages, each of which have multiple. I don't know for a fact, but i'd think HomeSeer supports even more.

J71iVaO.png

and btw, you just admitted you control your TV via IR in that video. Are you calling that "automation"?

I do agree a complete list of all devices we support would be beneficial. I will get our marketing duo on that. 

For the IR debate, automation is not about the protocol that is used...

ChrisCicc said:
For the IR debate, automation is not about the protocol that is used...

And there's the tell, folks. This isn't a debate. Its a statement. The industry has evolved in the past 10 years, IR is to be used only in the most dire of circumstances. There's a reason X10 isn't used by home automation folks. 1 way communication doesn't work well enough for anything other than tinkerers.

And it is highly misleading for you to post that video using 1way automation and claim voice control. Its voice-boy-i-hope-this-works. 

IVB said:
The industry has evolved in the past 10 years

So I take it all 10 year old TVs and A/V components have been retired by everyone? How about 8 year old units? Or 5? What about the 3 year old Samsung TVs that don't have the Smart IP feature?

I got to admit I also find it interesting you are so wiling to program autovoice/tasker voice commands and actions, but don't want to program custom IP commands for your IP A/V devices...

Chris, my advice is this: Stop posting. You cannot dig yourself out of a hole. You're wrong and you're just making your company look bad, Ask DavidL how that turned out for him when he claimed Cinemar was a valid Home Automation package. Or anyone from Cinemar.

There is no more IR debate. Those who have 10 year old TVs instead of spending under $300 on an IP-enabled TV probably aren't interested in doing home automation.

Or automation panels, so you can use a combination of voice and motion/location to determine what to do and where.

Or whole house audio.

Or really, any stereo system.

You don't have voice-control over those things. You have voice-I-hope-this-works-but-i'll-just-shoot-another-video-if-it-doesn't.

Don't worry, i'm sure that sales pitch will work out just great for the *millions of users* that you're looking to target. But 95% of true HA users are looking for a real automation system won't consider 1 way-far-field-speak-and-pray as a viable option if they can get 2 way-near-field-speak-and-be-guaranteed. 

IVB said:
Chris, my advice is this: Stop posting. You cannot dig yourself out of a hole. You're wrong and you're just making your company look bad, Ask DavidL how that turned out for him when he claimed Cinemar was a valid Home Automation package. Or anyone from Cinemar.

There is no more IR debate. Those who have 10 year old TVs instead of spending under $300 on an IP-enabled TV probably aren't interested in doing home automation.

Or automation panels, so you can use a combination of voice and motion/location to determine what to do and where.

Or whole house audio.

Or really, any stereo system.

You don't have voice-control over those things. You have voice-I-hope-this-works-but-i'll-just-shoot-another-video-if-it-doesn't.

Don't worry, i'm sure that sales pitch will work out just great for the *millions of users* that you're looking to target. But 95% of true HA users are looking for a real automation system won't consider 1 way-far-field-speak-and-pray as a viable option if they can get 2 way-near-field-speak-and-be-guaranteed. 

I'm sorry you don't want to try out using CastleOS to control the things you say it cannot control. To paraphrase the quasi-god Bill Belichick, it is what it is. Okay, that isn't a paraphrase. He basically says that all the time :)

ChrisCicc said:
I got to admit I also find it interesting you are so wiling to program autovoice/tasker voice commands and actions, but don't want to program custom IP commands for your IP A/V devices...

this is the ENTIRETY of my "programming": (only two commands set up on this particular device). It might have taken me 45 seconds, but thats because I couldn't remember the URL and had to switch apps.

EDIT: Smaller images.

zMXLdOpl.png

C8gYIpCl.jpg

In my opinion, these are the things any full featured Home Automation program should try to support.
Elk and HAI security panels
Hue, Insteon, Lutron, UPB, Zigbee and Z-Wave for lighting
HTD, Monoprice, Nuvo and Russoud audio matrix switches
Sonos and Squeezebox audio players
Weather stations by Davis, Oregon Scientific and maybe even LaCrosse or support everything by using VWS software CSV file
All major brand RS-232 or I.P. controllable TVs and AV receivers
Video Matrix switchers, I don't know what is preferred, I use Octava myself.
DirecTV and Dish Network Sat receivers over I.P.
and anyting controllable with I.R. using Global Cache or other I.R. Blasters.

I could go on but this is a good start.

Waynedb said:
In my opinion, these are the things any full featured Home Automation program should try to support.
HTD, Monoprice, Nuvo and Russoud audio matrix switches
Sonos and Squeezebox audio players
Weather stations by Davis, Oregon Scientific and maybe even LaCrosse or support everything by using VWS software CSV file
All major brand RS-232 or I.P. controllable TVs and AV receivers
Video Matrix switchers, I don't know what is preferred, I use Octava myself.
DirecTV and Dish Network Sat receivers over I.P.
and anyting controllable with I.R. using Global Cache or other I.R. Blasters.

I could go on but this is a good start.
And door locks (Zigbee/Z-Wave) and blind control (Somfy/Lutron)

Not to be a wordsmith, but if you can't do bidirectional communication with lighting, automation panels, audio systems, lighting, hvac, and TVs, it's not really a home automation and Control system. Like I said above, it's a home automation Holy cow I hope that worked but I better manually confirm system. IR is fine for little cutesy things but it sure isn't a control system, it's not reliable.

Can you imagine pressing buttons on your security keypad and having to hope the disarm worked? Same concept.

Waynedb said:
ano said:
And door locks (Zigbee/Z-Wave) and blind control (Somfy/Lutron)

Those are automation devices. And all are supported by CastleOS. The rest are entertainment/home theatre (some are supported, some not). There IS a difference. I understand to users such as yourself there isn't. But for 99% of the market, there is. The vast majority of customers entering the market are interested in smart devices you can get at Home Depot or Amazon, and security systems. That's what lures them in to the wider automation market, not entertainment. 

For the installer market, entertainment is a big driver. But we're not installing $50,000 systems :) 

Just remember you guys are not the typical user. Most users don't have your skill or your ability to set up such a complex system DIY. We have to target CastleOS to the masses, after all IVB wayne, even if CastleOS did everything you said it should, would you switch? I'm getting the feeling the answer is no... In time, we'll support each and every one of the devices you list, and then I will say, watch out Crestron/Savant/Control4 :)

Good luck then, you should have no problem locking up 99% of the market then.

And would I switch? Absolutely, if there was a material benefit. But right now castle is a HUGE step backward and at least 7 years behind CQC.

Plus, and this is why I stopped evaluating Cinemar / Mainlobby, the egocentric and arrogant attitude is a turnoff. You alone have the finger on the pulse of 99% of the market. You alone know what is appropriate. Nothing your product can't do is actually needed, and everything it can do is desperately needed.

Home Automation is hard and I want a partner, not a vendor. So far you've shown no indication of any ability to listen, you're just waiting to talk. And that's the deal killer,not some feature set.

I'm one of the biggest voice recognition champions around for HA, I own an xbox and kinect, and I wouldn't think twice about spending $1K-$2K on a whole house vr hardware setup if it worked. (spending it again, I tried in wall crown mics and mixers and..., utter failure). If I won't climb into bed with you, that's a wakeup call. But I'm sure you'll have a clever reposte and hit snooze.

Back