Android tablet POE Ethernet over USB

Mr Spock

I'm looking for a POE Ethernet to USB adaptor that includes the power and data conversion.  A small single box that can take POE Ethernet and get both the 5V power and data on the USB connector.  I can find a way to do it with a combination of two boxes (below), but that sucks.  I can live with only 5W, but 12W of power conversion rating would be better.

I can find:
1) POE to breakout adaptor for Ethernet & DC.
2) Ethernet to USB adaptors without the POE power conversion.
3) POE Ethernet to USB adaptors without the data conversion.

Secondary question is how my Android tablet will deal with the USB as an IP connection.  I'll have 5.0.x on either a Nexus 10 or Galaxy Tab S 10.5.  Will Android natively accept it or do I need some kind of Ethernet over USB app?

Thanks.

Why go to all that trouble? Outlet provides 2.1 amps to charge even with the display on 24/7 and I can sync wirelessly. See video description for details.

http://youtu.be/26vTRyHy048

Sure, one can just use the POE for power and WiFi for data.  However I'm trying to use the Ethernet connection I have right there waiting for me to use it.  Plus there are security and stability concerns with any radio connection.

I can't be the first person to want to do this...

I can't speak for android tablets, but iPads don't have wired Ethernet. It's a handheld mobile device. I think you misunderstand what USB over Ethernet and PoE actually do.

elvisimprsntr said:
Why go to all that trouble? Outlet provides 2.1 amps to charge even with the display on 24/7 and I can sync wirelessly. See video description for details. http://youtu.be/26vTRyHy048
A dado is enclosed on both sides, a rabbet cut is what you did. Just FYI.

I'm mounting mine on a wall like Frumple is showing in his picture.  I have a POE drop to the location and want to use a hard wired data connection.  Android > 4.0.x is setup for Ethernet over USB, although there are compatibility tables for individual models.

Wor2Play your link lead me to another one of the Lavalink products that was exactly what I was looking for.  Its their model STS-PE.  It costs $168 each.  A good bit more than I wanted to spend, but its designed to work with the tablet I'm using so I'm paying for simplicity and a guarantee.

Thanks again for the lead :)

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet check out this VidaBox link, they support multiple types of tablets with their wall mounts.  Looks like they might be less expensive.

batwater said:
If you haven't pulled the trigger yet check out this VidaBox link, they support multiple types of tablets with their wall mounts.  Looks like they might be less expensive.
Interesting except for the pricing...
On the main page it shows the first attachment, click on the shop now and you get the second!

Attachments

• Main.PNG
    Main.PNG
    34.5 KB · Views: 14
  • shop.PNG
    shop.PNG
    68.4 KB · Views: 18
Frunple said:
Interesting except for the pricing...
On the main page it shows the first attachment, click on the shop now and you get the second!

Okay, nearly price neutral if you buy the Ethernet to USB POE adapter which meets Mr. Spock's requirements. There are several choices, this is but another. 

batwater said:
Okay, nearly price neutral if you buy the Ethernet to USB POE adapter which meets Mr. Spock's requirements. There are several choices, this is but another. 
I don't think you understood my post... One page says $79, the other says $99.
Wasn't saying anything wrong with your suggestion, just that "they" are showing interesting pricing.
I actually like the device.

I'm going with the Vidabox mounting for the Galaxy Tab S 10.5.  They look really classy (and not in a Trump kind of way).  The Tab S 10.5's AMLOED screen is awesome in any ambient light level.  With the POE charger/data connection it should be a killer combination.  Not cheap, but I will have 3 of these on my walls and my wife has to be pleased with how they look. 

Oh, and for those who are more cost conscious I think the POE to USB charger/data adaptor could be done for less than half of the $168 that Lavalink is charging for the STS-PE.  What I had is much bigger, bulkier, and is unconfirmed to work.  Here it is if anyone is interested.

• POE Splitter.  Levelone POS-1002.  $25.
  • Ethernet to USB.  Plugable USB 2.0 10/100 adaptor.  $12.
  • USB injector.  Lavalink TL-002.  $40.
  • Power cable:  Levelone 5VDC barrel female to Lavalink micro-USB power injector input.  Unknown.

Does the Vidabox POE setup support data?  I was just looking at their site and the diagram they show is a power only connection.  Maybe they have something else you are using?  Their USB to CAT5 adapter says no data...

Back