Another EOL question...

I have been thinking a lot about the lifetimes of technologies lately and what I will do one day after my M1 no longer meets my needs.   The base platform is getting a bit dated.  One of the regrets I came up with was that I did put in some EOL in some places and EOL's seem to be platform dependent.  So if you go with a different vendor, you might have to swap them out.

So I think I am done putting in EOLs from here on out.  The benefits are small, and I would really like the foundation wiring to last 20-30+ years and I don't think a combination alarm/automation panel has that kind of lifetime, technology-wise.  A more basic platform might.

DEOLR is not an option with HAI, so that is a moot point.

For surface contacts, I already pointed to a viable solution. For recessed reeds or pushbuttons, you're really looking at 3/4" units to facilitate removal after the fact...they have a larger flange and have flanges that are really designed for hollow installations (steel doors) but work fine in a friction installation over the standard 3/8" press fits that don't have a flange or lip to speak of once installed flush.

To remove or change an EOLR in those sorts of installs isn't really rocket science, assuming you use contacts with terminals and not pigtails. If you use B connectors, cut and strip or open up the connector and replace the resistor, not much to it.

I think you're overthinking the installation of EOLR's and how they'd be connected to the contact and wiring and serviceability after the fact...it's really not a difficult thing to do if you install 3/4" contacts.

Back