Anyone recommend a good tablet for wall mounting?

Dean,

A Windows machine would definitely work but the purpose built wall mounts are pretty expensive for quality and the less expensive tablets usually don't have as hiqh quality displays, which could affect viewing angles, etc. I think the new Windows 8 tablets will definitely be good and the Android tablets have some nice screens. At this point, I think it is more about the software functionality catching up with the upcoming Windows 8 hardware.

David

I don't have any specific tablet suggestions but I did read a comment on Cocoontech that the Android OS doesn't wake up by simply touching the screen. Therefore, any Android tablet you look for should have some sort of button on the front bezel so that you can wake up the tablet.
David

Not true anymore. Sleep Mode by The SpinningHead works for this. It basically dims the screen as low as it can go and displays a black screen with dim "touch to wake" text on it. It's still beta though I'm not sure why, been working perfectly for me.
Not on the Play Store yet, go to the dev's site to find the apk.
http://thespinninghead.com/wordpress/?cat=4

...Your goals can only be served by Apple products or much more expensive, less expansive, and less flexible windows options... the choice is yours.

Yes I was very aware of this. But hope springs eternal and I was still thinking MAYBE I missed some great new or obscure device. I have a year before making a decision so I'll wait and watch.

I really think some enterprising person could come along and do what Haiku Helper has done for some of the higher end Android tablets. Its not like Apple's tablets are all the same resolution or have the same feature set.

If I was a software developer I'd jump on this opportunity.

Anything is possible - I do my best to stay on top of things with trade magazines, overwhelming email lists, etc; but there are new products every day. Just search alibaba - it's amazing how many products out there are still waiting for a purpose!

To be honest, I still haven't found *the* solution, though I think I like what HAI has done, and I really like Crestron sets. I've been toying with Elve, but for me the big sell will be when I can find a device for ~$200-$250 that can have some basic functionality combined with intercom @ the tablet. It needs to be affordable enough to be the only control device in every bedroom of the house, including the kids' rooms - and be the only thing they need to control everything they have access to and be a personal information center (lighting, music, calendar, basic information, and intercom). When I can figure out how to make that happen, I'll buy 8 of them.

Midrar - your completed install looks awesome - but I never do anything that I couldn't install in a client's home or leave behind when I sell the house, and the rough edges and the outlet inside the wall just don't feel right to me. Maybe it'd be as simple as running LV to a real outlet and trimming out the hole so it looks finished even without the iPad mounted. I like the overall install though, and I bet the glass touchscreen feels pretty nice to use.

Anything is possible - I do my best to stay on top of things with trade magazines, overwhelming email lists, etc; but there are new products every day. Just search alibaba - it's amazing how many products out there are still waiting for a purpose!

To be honest, I still haven't found *the* solution, though I think I like what HAI has done, and I really like Crestron sets. I've been toying with Elve, but for me the big sell will be when I can find a device for ~$200-$250 that can have some basic functionality combined with intercom @ the tablet. It needs to be affordable enough to be the only control device in every bedroom of the house, including the kids' rooms - and be the only thing they need to control everything they have access to and be a personal information center (lighting, music, calendar, basic information, and intercom). When I can figure out how to make that happen, I'll buy 8 of them.

Midrar - your completed install looks awesome - but I never do anything that I couldn't install in a client's home or leave behind when I sell the house, and the rough edges and the outlet inside the wall just don't feel right to me. Maybe it'd be as simple as running LV to a real outlet and trimming out the hole so it looks finished even without the iPad mounted. I like the overall install though, and I bet the glass touchscreen feels pretty nice to use.

Only 8??

Buy 800, or 8,000 (probably not all at once though - unless you have really deep pockets).... sell and install them all for your clients, and profit! :D You can't do a whole lot with only 8 of them ;)

I agree 100%. I don't mind the receptacle in the wall. I do hate the rough drywall edges and that alone makes it difficult to have it installed in a customers home. My frame was purchased from www.theipadframe.com and if you plan on installing it in the wall, you have to make sure you get the in wall kit. Overall I am pleased, but its still not mainstream if you ask me. My favorite inwall keypad is by Cortexa and sells for $400. Its a nice system, looks very polished, and could absolutely be installed as a finished product in a customers home.

Here is the link for the Cortexa touch sreen. Its still expensive, but when you factor the true cost of a dedicated touchscreen, this is still a bargain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SrBvAQGTI

Only 8??

Buy 800, or 8,000 (probably not all at once though - unless you have really deep pockets).... sell and install them all for your clients, and profit! :D You can't do a whole lot with only 8 of them ;)
I'm just talking for my own home right now - what I could sell is a different story!

For now, if I were to throw an iPad up on the wall, I'd probably go for something like that LaunchPort that rockinarmadillo linked - that's the one I was thinking of when I posted a ways back... that way you get the nice on-wall touhcscreen and nice home control point, but when you want to walk around the house and continue to control the music or go browse the web, you can - and just dock it back on the wall when you're done. Doesn't quite have the polish of a permanent install, but with how much we use our iPads around the house, I think I like the idea of keeping the versatility available as well, combined with convenient docking/charging/control point.

There is a company in Australia doing a glass style mount, both in wall and on wall for the iPad. The iPad is removable as well and is powered when mounted. The glass look is styled on teh C-bus saturn switches or a plain aluminium look is available as well.

http://www.crowhurst.com.au/

phoca_thumb_l_saturn-inwall-ipad.png
phoca_thumb_l_ipadopen.png

Since this topic has been brought forward again, I wonder what people think about the situation today.  Personally if I was going to wall mount a tablet today, I would take a long hard look at the Nexus 7.  It exceeds the iPad Mini in pretty much every way and it is cheaper.  If you wanted a full size screen, it's probably a toss up between the Nexus 10 and the iPad with the edge going to the iPad.

On a related note, I think this whole idea that Apple is better because Android is so fractured argument is total BS too - especially in this situation.  This type of usage is very specific.  If the OS version of the tablet you choose works with the software that you need for your automation system and you can find a suitable mount, then there is no problem.  

In addition, we have reached the tipping point where the Android app market is actually bigger than the Apple market, the Android system is used by more people than the Apple system, and Apple's market share has been decreasing for an extended period of time now.  

I'm about as Apple as you can get...but I'm going with Nexus 7s for touch screens. More power, cheaper, and Android's 'hackability' allows me to build a true kiosk-style, single purpose device. I'm working on an aluminum mount now that hopefully I can show off soon...

Is anyone looking at the Sero models instead of the Nexus?
With the Sero at $100 and the Sero Pro at $150 it may be worth a peak.
Of course the quality isn't the same and Hisense is know for making "cheesy" tv's but for wall mounts they really don't need to be perfect. They're just gonna do the one function pretty much.

Frunple - I haven't looked at those units specifically.  But since they sell them at Walmart, at least you can go by and take a look at them before deciding.

Back