Anyone use Mighty Mule driveway vehicle sensors?

JimS

I have been wanting to put in a wired driveway sensor like the Cartell units and ran across the Mighty Mule FM138, 140, and 141 (just different wire lengths) that look to be very similar and a bit cheaper. Anyone have any experience with them? I think they just put out a contact closure so could be used with automation other than gates.

My driveway is more than 500' to the road from the house.
I'm using the HAI wireless driveway sensor.

I placed it next to the driveway and buried it in an irrigation valve box so the sensor is level with the roadbed, but it doesn't stick up and it is protected from damage.
It works well.

I have two of the Mighty Mule sensors in our driveway, one at each entrance. One works flawlessly and is buried about 6" deep and 18" from the driveway edge. The other one is about 8" deep and about 3 ft from the driveway edge. This sensor will occasionally miss a vehicle although the driveway is about 20' wide at that point and a vehicle at the far edge would be about 15 ft away.. If I were to do it again, I'd put the sensors in a protective PVC pipe and bury them in the center of the driveway. I eliminated the sensitivity control that came with them and wired them up for maximum sensitivity. You are correct that they provide a simple contact closure. I use them with my Elk M1G. They go for about $125 on *bay.

Back