Anyone using Vivotek IP Cameras? FD8361

inline

Hi all -

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Vivotek FD8361's and wondering if anyone has them or similar from Vivotek deployed currently? I've decided to go the IP camera route for a few reasons and just looking to see if anyone who has the FD8361's or used them for an install liked them/didn't like them (since they aren't exactly "cheap").

Thanks!

I have done some research about cameras for my home
Vivotek and Axis are at the top of the list
both brands seem to have great reviews and most automation or surveillance software out there are compatible with them

Hi all -

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Vivotek FD8361's and wondering if anyone has them or similar from Vivotek deployed currently? I've decided to go the IP camera route for a few reasons and just looking to see if anyone who has the FD8361's or used them for an install liked them/didn't like them (since they aren't exactly "cheap").

Thanks!

I am using them. They are very good cameras. I've only had a problem with these cameras in one location, we had mounted one under a deck and it got water in the underside of the camera. The mount they sent has to either be fully recessed or has to be sealed very well. But otherwise these cameras work very well.

Andy

Has anyone used these cameras with an ELK M1? Their website says that they only work with the Vivotek PZ6112 but I find that hard to believe that they are only compatible with one camera from Vivotek's line up.

Also, what is the easiest (most inexpensive) way to record vivotek cameras. I don't think the onboard SD slot will do considering it can probably only store 8GB or something like that. I would rather not have to buy a separate computer (unless its like an ASUS thats under $275). So far it seems like QNAP is relatively inexpensive and I can just setup an external HD connected to a QNAP Server? Correct me if I'm wrong or inform me of an easier way if you can

THanks,
Ryan

I have an IP7361 installed looking over my driveway.
It's been there for 3 months, I really like it so far. The web based config is easy to use and the manual well laid out and comprehensive.
It will push record to a NAS without running any app anywhere else on the network.
It works great with my HAI 5.7e touchscreens. I use lower resolution streams on the touchscreens and a high res stream to the NAS.

I have the FD8361 and plan on installing it as a porch cam. I've bench tested it and it works as well as the 7361.
It has the H.264 feed too.
It is huge and heavy, but it is also weather resistant and has a fan and heater built in.
I plan on installing it in the rebated configuration.

The cameras work with 32GB SD cards. Vivotek cautions against streaming constantly to the onboard SD, I use mine for motion detection only.
Since they can push data to any disk on the network any NAS that looks like a disk or even a spare hard drive on a computer will work.

I'm using a Thecus N4100PRO.

Overall I'm really happy with the Vivoteks.

The MJPEG feed should be compatible with "everything" with few exceptions.
The H.264 and MP4 feeds may have troubles depending on the app or hardware trying to decode the streams.

Thats pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. I would only use the SD card for motion storage too. If I am only going to be motion recording all the time do I even need to use a NAS server when I could keep all the events on the camera? I figure I could have archives emailed before there is an override on the SD card?

I plan on using the IP8332 for outdoor bullet (for yard coverage) and FD8134V for outdoor domes (smaller areas like patios and porches)

Also, do you think the feeds from these cameras will work on the ELK TS071 (ELK Remote Manager Software)

You only get a few seconds of video at higher resolutions during motion detection.
IIRC the buffer is only 8MB.
I use the motion detection to time stamp events, then go back and review the stream for that time to get detailed video at max res and 30fps.
With the motion only you may only get one snapshot of any event because of the buffer limit.
Lower resolutions are really no good for recording beacuse of the pixelation, you can't really identify people or license plates.
"Identify", as in a "lineup". You'll see general deatils, but not enough. You need high resolution for good evidence, and that means streaming.
Mobotix may record high res motion streams to onboard storage, but I'm not sure. They're quite a bit more expensive though.

I am not familiar with the ELK software so I can't comment on compatibility.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I will go that route I think (where I have snapshots of motion events, either by a motion detection on the camera or an alarm on the automation system, assuming that I can make the system see the cameras, and then just have 24hr hi res recording).

How installer friendly would you say the OmniPro is and how it compares price wise with an ELK. ELK seems to have more resources for DIYers. Also I would only use Simply Automated if I used HAI so do they communicate two way with scenes lights and buttons on grouping keypads?

The Vivoteks have Digital IO terminals.
So you can hook up the DO to a zone to alert the controller when a camera motion trips and hook the DI to a controller oeprated relay to signal the camera to turn on or start recording.
So if one camera trips you can use these inputs and outputs to signal other cameras to start recording, to turn on lights, etc.
Or you can use motion sensors or a driveway sensor to turn on lights and start recording.
The DIO really increases the effectiveness of the system.

I installed an Omni Pro II in an already finished 2 story house. It's a lot of cable pulling, like any alarm or controller, but doable. Thorough pre-planning made all the difference. I have 48 zones on the main board and a wireless receiver and a wired expansion enclosure, 3 T-stats, 7 smokes, 2 5.7e touchscreens, two-way audio, etc. I did it all myself.
I don't have any experience with ELK controllers, but they have a good reputation here. I'd say either one would serve your needs.
As I understand it Omni is initially more expensive, but comes with more standard functions. As you add Elk modules to add capabilities the prices seem to be on parity. AS I said I don't have any experience with Elk, but It appears to be a good system.

I use approximetely 95% SA products in my UPB install. I use just a few Western Mountain items and one or two HAI items. SA UPB operates perfectly with HAI. You have to use the HLC convention to get good ststus tracking. All that really is is a structured allocation of unit IDs to rooms and links. Once that is understood, programming is easy. HAI's website and this site have excellent info on HLC.

That makes me a lot more confident that I could handle an Omni, because I know I could completely setup an ELK no problem. I guess what I really like about the ELK is the small single gang keypads you can put at many locations, and the multiple speakers you can connect to the onboard voice output (or multiple speaker/mic groups for two way audio) you are also allowed 8 custom messages which leaves many possibilities for customizations that people have used for many advantages. However, viewing my IP cameras on my touch screens is much more important to me and I know that Vivotek works great with HAI so I guess I'll have to reconsider and verify if the Vivoteks will work with ELK (which honestly, i see no reason why they shouldn't...)

Thanks for all your help, it has been very informing..

last question, do I really need the NAS server for your recording to be as big as the one you are using? probably will have 6 cameras at 1280x800 resolution recording 24hrs on the NAS.

You can string together multiple speakers on the two channels of the HAI two-way voice module.
In combinations of parallel and series to maintain the correct impedance.
I'm sure there's a practical limit to the amp. I don;t know how it compares to the ELK's amp.
Or you could run the output through a whole house audio system.

The Omni Pro has 32 two second custom messages available.
You can string several memory bins together for longer messages of 4, 8 or 16 seconds.

I like the ELK single gang keypads too.

You have to decide how much redoring you want.
My personal threshold, I want at least a week archived.

My single driveway camera is recording 80-100MB/min during day and about half that at night (because it's B&W).
So about 100GB/day.
My NAS has a RAID5 array of four 2 TB drives, for a total of ~6TB space.
That would be about 2 months of recording for that single camera, a month for two cameras of 2 weeks for 4 cameras.
But the NAS is used for other things too.

I allocated 2TB to the camera, which gives me roughly 3 weeks of recordings.
Once that space gets filled up the camera records over the oldest data first. So it is a floating three week window.
All of that is managed by the camera software itself.
I simply pointed it to the NAS and told it to use 2TB.

You could probably be fine with a single 2TB or 3TB drive and a couple of cameras.

Back