Are you worried about the Corona Virus

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
Yes my issue here relating to CT being blocked was due to the use of Ad Blocker Plus.  I refreshed Firefox and installed Ghostery and all is well now.

I used TOR to test and it will randomly connect from anywhere.

Here had an RO system, softener and iron extractor and only drank the water from the RO system.  Never bought bottled water.

Just a post that I found googling this morning. 

Note most of what is posted is common sense stuff. 

That said typically mass hysteria is not driven by common sense.

The Salt Lake Tribune - 3rd of March, 2020

Sue Smith Jackson,
Ph.D., is an associate professor in the Department of Public and Community Health at Utah Valley University, where she teaches a course on epidemiology.

I do think we will see a COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S. It appears there are asymptomatic carriers (symptomless infected individuals) which makes containment difficult. Some epidemiologists predict COVID-19 will infect 70% to 80% of Americans by the time a vaccine is ready for mass distribution.

But, despite Hollywood films (well like Contagion - 2011) and shows depicting uncontrollable pandemics sweeping the world and killing the masses, the hype and hysteria are unwarranted. We haven’t seen anything like that worldwide in a century (1918-1920, to be exact). It’s not to say that couldn’t happen, but I think the progression of medicine and public health make such an extreme possibility less likely.

If you’re still concerned about COVID-19, here’s what I suggest:

1 - Wash your hands with soap and hot water. Mass use of face masks is not recommended because it increases face-touching, which increases disease transmission. Also, stop touching your face.

2 - Purchase a reasonable amount of your favorite sick day supplies. COVID-19 has symptoms similar to the flu. My list includes Tylenol, ibuprofen, cough drops, Nyquil, Kleenex and Gatorade. I also recommend an ear or forehead thermometer and a finger pulse oximeter.

3 - Prepare for the (distant) possibility of quarantine. The government can quarantine without notice and by force of law. Do you have enough supplies to last through a two- or three-week quarantine at home? Do you have the right supplies? I’m assuming all the people buying water at Costco only drink bottled water, because otherwise I have no idea what they are doing.

4 - Think through finances. Can you work remotely if quarantined? If not, can you financially survive without 2-3 weeks of pay? Do you know which hospitals, instacare offices and doctors take your insurance? Do you have enough of your essential medications to survive without notice?

If I were a betting woman, my money would be on this all blowing over before Utah quarantines entire cities.

Regardless, a little prep isn’t a bad idea. But, can we stop the mass hysteria of water-buying?

I’m pretty sure your tap water will be fine, even if you are quarantined.

Effects of mass hysteria.

Coronavirus in Australia: Lorryload of toilet paper catches fire
BBC News 5th of March, 2020

A lorry carrying toilet paper had caught fire due to a mechanical fault, amidst Australia’s coronavirus-induced buying frenzy of toilet paper.

Authorities and supermarkets have stressed there is no need to stockpile, but it doesn't seem to be stopping the rush.

To help out, a Northern Territory newspaper known for it's humorous headlines has printed an eight page "toilet paper" pullout section, for those who may have run out.

Here is a live status page (xx=tt)

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE

hxxps://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Two new coronavirus cases confirmed in my hometown now. 60 and 50 year old were both sent home with mild flu symptoms and told to restrict contact with other people

Sent using Tapatalk

There was a new case yesterday 10 miles from me. It was a 20-year old. They wouldn't give any information citing patient confidentiality, but they say its related to another positive located in Florida. 

Not good news this morning...9th of March 2020

Dow plunges as much as 2,000 points, oil crashes as price war erupts and coronavirus spreads

U.S. equity markets were sharply lower Monday morning after an oil price war broke out between Saudi Arabia and Russia and the new coronavirus showed signs of spreading.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down by as many as 2,046 points, or 7.9 percent, in the opening minutes of trading while the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite were lower by 7.4 percent and 7.3 percent, respectively. Trading, which was already halted for 15 minutes, will see another stoppage if the S&P 500 trades down 13 percent.

The steep slide has caused the New York Federal Reserve to increase its daily cash injections into the banking system to $150 billion from $100 billion.

The stock-market selloff comes after a production dispute between OPEC members, led by Saudi Arabia, and Russia sent West Texas Intermediate crude oil, the U.S. benchmark, plunging by as much as 33.8 percent, the most since the outbreak of the 1991 Persian Gulf War, to a low of $27.34 a barrel in overnight trading. After a small rebound, WTI was trading down 21.4 percent at $32.42 a barrel.

Oil majors, including Exxon Mobil, Chevron and BP, were sharply lower, as were service providers Haliburton and Schlumberger.

Elsewhere, travel-related names remained under pressure after Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, warned Americans with underlying conditions not to take long plane trips or cruises due to the new coronavirus outbreak.

Some drugmakers working on treatments for COVID-19, including Inovio Pharmaceuticals and BioCryst Pharmaceuticals were sharply higher.

U.S. Treasurys were the beneficiary of the flight to safety with heavy buying pushing longer-dated yields lower by more than 30 basis points. Overnight, the benchmark 10-year yield fell to a record low of 0.38 percent before bouncing to 0.433 percent. Likewise, the 30-year yield plunged below 1 percent for the first time ever, and was down 36.8 basis points at 0.854 percent on Monday morning.

The drop in Treasury yields accompanies expectations the Federal Reserve will cut rates by 100 basis points at its March 18 meeting, lowering its key interest rate to a range between 0 and 25 basis points.

The expectation of the oversized rate cut is putting pressure on financials, which typically make 50 percent to 75 percent of their net revenue from the spread between the interest paid to depositors and the interest charged to borrowers. Lower rates mean the banks will make less per loan.

J.P. Morgan Chase, Bank of America and Trust were all tumbling. Meanwhile, Wells Fargo was in focus after board chair Betsy Duke resigned.

In Europe, Italy’s MIB was down 11.5 percent after the country’s government on Sunday put 16 million people in the northern region of the country on lockdown in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Elsewhere, in the region, France's was lower by 8 percent while Germany's DAX and Britain’s FTSE were both off 7.9 percent.

Overnight, Japan’s Nikkei paced the decline in Asia after the country’s government lowered its fourth-quarter gross domestic product to an annualized drop of 7.1 percent, down from 6.3 percent. Taking inflation into account, the drop was 1.8 percent on a seasonally adjusted quarterly basis.

Hahaha. The new biological warfare using the Internet to spread it.

I wonder how long the coronavirus can live in petroleum products to be shipped overseas.

Money to be made. The PharmaGiants flopped on the SARs virus last round. The threat disappeared before they got a vaccine ready.

Same with the avian virus scare.

Sent using Tapatalk

If you want to see an example of how a city should be handling the virus, watch the daily briefing that Bill De Blasio gives everyday. Its about 2 hours long and posted on You Tube. There were many things talked about here that have yet to be mentioned ANYWHERE else. It will be worth 2 hours of your time. For examples, they spoke about exactly how the virus is and isn't spread. And in NYC, since the COVID-19 test kit is in short supply like everywhere else, they are using the BioFire Respiratory Panel test FIRST, since results come back in 45 minutes, and this test can tell if you have one of 21 popular respiratory bugs. The COVID-19 no, but it tests for about everything else. If you have something else, its VERY likely you don't have COVID-19.  That is genius, but I haven't heard of that being done anywhere else.

Just a quickie post from another forum....

Today may well be a great day to buy in? but my stomach can only handle so much.

Timing it is impossible. You have to ask yourself
1- will it likely go a bunch lower?
2- what is my time horizon? Can I wait 7-8 years to recover back to breakeven like many did in the 2008 meltdown?
3- are valuations low enough that stocks are “on sale”? And.. we’re they too fricken inflated BEFORE this anyway?
4- do I have enough Pepto in the medicine cabinet?

• Yes
  • Yes
  • WTFK
  • No

========================================================================================

Dozens in Iran die from drinking bootleg alcohol to prevent coronavirus infection
- Reported around 1100 c time today 10th of March, 2020.

Dozens of people in Iran died after drinking industrial-strength alcohol amid rumors it would prevent them from contracting the coronavirus, according to reports Tuesday.

The state-run Islamic Republic News Agency, or IRNA, reported Tuesday that 44 people had died from alcohol poisoning in the country after they "drank bootleg alcohol over rumors that it would be effective in treating coronavirus.” But the semi-independent Mehr News Agency reported a lower figure – at least 27 people dying in Iran from alcohol poisoning amid the coronavirus scare.

ano said:
If you want to see an example of how a city should be handling the virus, watch the daily briefing that Bill De Blasio gives everyday. Its about 2 hours long and posted on You Tube. There were many things talked about here that have yet to be mentioned ANYWHERE else. It will be worth 2 hours of your time. 
Oops, hit save too quick. I saw that today and I'm impressed.I was also surprised by the 30 day lock down of New Rochelle NY (I think it's NY).

Besides I'm from the Bronx, not Queens (where Corona is ;-) ) and I don't drink beer. And yes I've heard those questions on the local radar along with some really weird ways of dealing with the virus. I can't believe the radio hosts actually let those people keep talking.

Looks like everybody has been waiting for the WHO blessing and it has opened a real can of worms.

US may not have to worry about a second Trump term.

Buy paper stock!

Sent using Tapatalk

Trump has nothing to worry about when it comes to the corona virus. We're doing a great job dealing with it and it is under control. The liberal media is over-stating it and using it as a political weapon. He told me himself and he's the president of the United States. He wouldn't lie to me.

Leaders in the health care world are now talking about the hospital bed curve. They would like to use social distancing to slow the spread of the virus so that we don't all get sick at the same time. If too many people get sick at the same time there won't be enough hospital beds so more people will die compared to slowing the cases over a longer period of time. Nobody is talking about stopping the virus, they are now talking about surviving it.

Mike.I think that the last estimate that I heard was that about 50% of the population is expected to get the virus but there's no way to prove that. Many of those people will have little or no symptoms. This is not the end of the world but it is going to weed out some of us older guys. If I was young and healthy I wouldn't be very concerned but I am older now and have immune system problems soI won't be going to the movies for a while.

I say load up on the Nyquill and Tylenol keep your hands in your pockets.

Mike.

linuxha said:
Oops, hit save too quick. I saw that today and I'm impressed.I was also surprised by the 30 day lock down of New Rochelle NY (I think it's NY).

Besides I'm from the Bronx, not Queens (where Corona is ;-) ) and I don't drink beer. And yes I've heard those questions on the local radar along with some really weird ways of dealing with the virus. I can't believe the radio hosts actually let those people keep talking.

Sorry to hear about your drinking problem.

China hints at denying Americans life-saving coronavirus drugs
13th March, 2020 0630 C time.
By Barnini Chakraborty | Fox News

Now that the number of new people infected with the coronavirus in China is slowing down, the country's Communist Party is ratcheting up threats against the West, with a particularly nasty warning about access to life-saving drugs aimed at the United States.

In an article in Xinhua, the state-run media agency that's largely considered the mouthpiece of the party, Beijing bragged about its handling of COVID-19, a virus that originated in the city of Wuhan and has spread quickly around the world, killing nearly 5,000 people and infecting thousands more. The article also claimed that China could impose pharmaceutical export controls which would plunge America into "the mighty sea of coronavirus."

The disturbing threats made during a global pandemic as well as the scary consequences if that threat becomes real highlight just how tight China's grip is on the global supply chain. Already, the Food and Drug Administration has announced the first drug shortage related to the coronavirus. Though it did not disclose which drug was in short supply, the FDA did say it could not access enough raw components needed because they are made in China.

That doesn't come as a surprise to Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla, who told Fox News on Thursday that America is "dangerously reliant" on China for the production of critical goods, including parts for technologies needed to fight COVID-19.

Though the United States is a global leader in research, much of the manufacturing of life-saving drugs has moved overseas. The last American manufacturing plant to make a key component in penicillin shuttered in 2004. Since then, Chinese pharmaceuticals companies have moved in and taken over, supplying between 80 percent and 90 percent of U.S. antibiotics, 70 percent of acetaminophen and about 40 percent of heparin, according to Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations.

If China makes good on its threat to cut off the United States, Rubio believes the results could be crippling.

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide on Thursday went up to 124,518, up from 118,162 cases the day before. In China, there are 80,980 confirmed cases. Italy saw a 22.7 percent jump to 12,462 from 10,149. Iran is hovering close to a 12 percent increase while cases in Qatar jumped 991 percent to 262 cases from 24. In the United States, there are more than 1,300 confirmed cases spread across 44 states and the District of Columbia.

As the rest of the world scrambles to contain the virus and protect its citizens, China has been busy casting itself in the role of global hero going so far as to demand a thank you for containing the virus as long as it did.

"We should say righteously that the U.S. owes China an apology, the world owes China a thank you," an editorial in Xinhua read.

Rubio said Beijing's comments should concern all Americans and that China is keenly aware that in a moment of crisis "they can threaten to cut us off from our pharmaceutical supplies, they could trigger a domestic problem here that would make it difficult or us to confront them."

"It's a tremendous amount of leverage," Rubio said.

Back