[Articles] CEDIA: Z-Wave

CT Droid

CT Bot
IMG_6464.jpg
cedia.jpg
While Z-Wave has been around for a few years now, it had a pretty rough start. Initial low quality and compatibility issues really turned many people away from Z-Wave (myself included). But it looks like this is a thing of the past, as many of the newer Z-Wave products are high quality, and compatibility issues are slim to none. You also can't ignore the fact that the Z-Wave Alliance just certified its 400th device, making this one of the biggest home automation platforms.

Initially, I was not paying much attention to this number, since many devices come and go, but after checking out the Z-Wave Alliance booth at CEDIA, I am actually considering giving Z-Wave another try. Keep on reading for more info about some Z-Wave interesting products.

View the full article

iWifi Cam - is a foscam OEM with a zwave start recording command option is all.

Aeon had some cool stuff as you mentioned.
one is a Zwave TED like device with 2 phase clamps. i believe it reports like a multilevel sensor similar to a light/temp/humdity sensor. I have to look at my notes again but it has a couple of power options i believe like a 3rd output to connect to a circuit for power and a usb port for usb to a/c adapter

the relay contact light switch unit like you show in the demo was interesting although i couldn't get a straight answer on how one is supposed to fit that in a single gang box with a switch and wiring already in there. i think this unit may wind up being used for other things in reality. it has inputs and outputs so it could be used in other ways i bet that are more useful.

they also have a tri sensor coming out like the homeseer one although he didn't have one in the booth to show.

fortrezzz had a zwave water valve switch. i am curious about the market for such a device.

Thanks Deane!

Twilo, what was your take about Home Manageables? I couldn't figure out what market they are targetting. While they have some nice Z-Wave devices, software wise, it's confusing for sure.

the relay contact light switch unit like you show in the demo was interesting although i couldn't get a straight answer on how one is supposed to fit that in a single gang box with a switch and wiring already in there.

When I saw it I thought it replaced the existing light switch...

It will be a tight fit, but I think it would work (didn't take any measurements tho). The terminals on that micro module look pretty small tho, hope that won't be an issue.

If you are talking about the Aeon Labs Micro Switch, from what I understand it is supposed to go in the fixture box not the switch box. Like an X10 fixture module.

Dan,

It has been a while... This was an excellent article. I hope you get out to the shows more often and give us more coverage. I like your review style.

actually i passed right by them. i saw them a couple of years ago at Cedia when they first came out and was not too impressed. also i think at the time they had a subscription based model which no one wants these days.
i am more interested in the hardware they put out than the software. they have a couple of unique zwave products from when i first saw them but nothing new that i could see.

mios was another software package wrapped into a gateway zwave/regular router appliance at the zwave booth. again not overly impressed.

Thanks Deane!

Twilo, what was your take about Home Manageables? I couldn't figure out what market they are targetting. While they have some nice Z-Wave devices, software wise, it's confusing for sure.

FYI, this is Aeon Lab's official description of this device:
Aeon Labs – Z-Wave Micro Smart Energy Switch The Aeon Labs Micro Smart Energy Switch is a low-cost Z-Wave appliance switch specifically used to enable Z-Wave command and control (on/off) for existing in-wall switches. It can also report immediate wattage consumption or kWh energy usage over a period of time. It can also be controlled by other Z-Wave devices to turn on/off to meter and save electricity when appropriate. With a 50mm x 49mm x 18.5mm form factor, the Aeon Labs Micro Smart Energy Switch can fit in all most all gang boxes worldwide.

He did say it was still going through certification, maybe the final model will have the antenna coiled/wrapped.

like i mentioned earlier it will be interesting to see real life examples. i think this may work for other things besides just a junction box light switch. it definitely has potential

Back