Best discreet/hidden motion sensors for outside front of house?

NeverDie

Wondering what the options are for picking up motion outdoors, at the front of the house, such as 1. on the driveway (so that if my car it parked in the driveway, the home automation can turn on the lights at night if someone is trying to break into it) and 2. to detect when anyone is approaching the front door (the more lead time the better).  The catch, though, is not to pick up pedestrians on the sidewalk, or cars moving on the street.

I'd like to find something fairly discrete (preferably hidden), and am wondering what the best inconspicuous choices are.

Suggestions/recommendations?

To make this concrete, attached is a satellite photo showing the open area in front of the house over which I'd like to detect motion.

Attachments

• frontyard.jpg
    frontyard.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 33
A few possibilities that I'm considering:  

1.  Bore some 3/4" holes in the soffit under the eaves and mount inobtrusive, simple $3 PIR sensors there and have an Arduino monitor the lot of them and use a double or triple trigger across different sensors to mitigate false positives.   I'd have to use tape or paint on the little Fresnel domes to mask out detecting anything at the sidewalk or beyond.  Anyhow, easier said than done: it would require a lot of up-and-down on a ladder to tweak it right.  It may also be that the 3/8" thick Hardieboard soffit material would overshoot on masking the detection range.  

sku_139624_2.jpg

or for $7 surface mount a two-wire version of it:

sku_39577_1.jpg

or possibly a $9 surface mount ceiling PIR with a dual detector:

sku_149722_1.jpg

That's just a first approximation.  Probably isn't for outdoor use.  Maybe there's something better?  For $70, there's the Visionic:

73966big.jpg

but I don't think it's for outdoor use either.  Notionally, a detecting strip like this would be less likely to pickup street traffic:

sku_122715_1.jpg

The next image below a $70 outdoor one.  Probably meant to be installed on a wall, but maybe it would work facing down from a soffit under the eaves for the intended purpose?

74095.jpg

2.   Mount retroreflectors on the fence and tree and use active IR.  Never tried anything like that before.  This would be better for catching things heading toward the sides than catching regular activity at the front.  On the other hand, I guess maybe I could shoot a long beam from one side of the yard to the other across the entire front yard.  Not very convenient, as I'd have to run wire to power the thing.  For just a regular electric eye (no retroreflector), and around $300 for a 250 foot range, there's this outdoor unit: 

76415big.jpg

I'd have to trench two wire runs under the turf, though.  Unless I can hijack wiring already buried for irrigation control, running the wire  would entail the greatest amount of labor.

3.  Find regular motion detecting light fixtures.  Rather than modify them to get their sensor input directly, a ghetto approach would be to let them do their thing and then just notice when they come on, using either current detection or a photodetector.  The trick will be finding ones with good detection but reasonably discreet detectors. This is probably the least effort.  I'm probably leaning toward something like this as an initial step and see how far it takes me.  Trouble is, I'm not sure if any have different modes, where they can be simply turned on and left on for certain circumstances, or whether they just do their lights-on-after-motion thing.  Judging from photos, the PIR detector isn't too obvious, but maybe in real life it is:

40823PWbig.jpg

Hard to find an appealing design, but maybe I can find something with LED in a more modern style than coach lights.  However, not finding anything like that.  So, it's a strong argument for keeping the light fixture separate from the detection.

Probably a minor consideration, but the front yard slopes toward the street.  I'm guessing the slope ranges from 20 to 30 degrees.  Attached is a side view.  Since I own the tree, if needed I I could probably mount  a sensor/reflector on it, as long as it's fairly inconspicuous.

Am I the only one interested in inconspicuous front perimieter detection?

Attachments

• slope.jpg
    slope.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 37
I'll be following this thread for suggestions that come up.  I'm in the same situation.  I have a Lorex camera system that detects motion and records, but it picks up everything.  I would like to switch to using motion detectors that are finely tuned to only pickup the motion I want and then trigger the recording (and lights).  

Hello, ND. I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing as you. I've been looking at the Honeywell 5800PIR-OD ("OD" for outdoors). It is specifically designed for outdoor use and is wireless. I would connect it with a ELK-M1XRF2H Wireless Receiver which is compatible with Honeywell (Ademco) 5800 series wireless transmitters.

From the Honeywell brochure:

The 5800PIR-OD is an ideal solution for outdoor sensing needs in difficult to wire locations— avoiding the costs and time to trench hardwired solutions...consists of two passive infrared sensors that must both be tripped to declare an alarm, providing immunity to false alarm sources, pets and other animals. These sensors can be adjusted to alter the detection range. The transmitter can send alarm, tamper and low battery condition messages to the alarm panel.

The unit has quite a few adjustments to limit the field of view and to avoid turn-on by direct car headlights.

The only problem is this thing is the size of a football! 8" high, 3" wide, and 5" deep (yes, 5"!). It's anything but discrete on the front of the house.

I could use any single detection to turn on some or all floodlights outside the house and the front porch light.

Anybody have any experience with the Honeywell/Ademco 5800 line and the Elk XRF2H?

Reference: http://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/wireless/motion-sensor/258579.html

I've been very happy with the optex dual sensor type. (pir/microwave) The have quite a wide range of units. Mine point towards tree that get blown during storms, and but for the windiest days, false positives are rare. Mine are over 5 years old, and with a quick scan of their site, I didn't see anything that looked like what I have so I didn't bother hunting down my model numbers. If it's important to you, I will.

Personally, I think you will be challenged outside to find an inconspicuous, but accurate, PIR. I have a Rokonet Watchout in front yard for same purposes you mentioned. The dual-sensor PIR is very good – even caught a car burglar at 2AM walking through my front yard to smash-n-grab all the cars on street (long story). It’s not cheap, but I have not touched it in 2-3 years. My only complaint is a group squirrels playing tag in front yard will trigger/FP. Seems 3 or more is the magic number.

d.dennerline said:
Personally, I think you will be challenged outside to find an inconspicuous, but accurate, PIR. I have a Rokonet Watchout in front yard for same purposes you mentioned. The dual-sensor PIR is very good – even caught a car burglar at 2AM walking through my front yard to smash-n-grab all the cars on street (long story). It’s not cheap, but I have not touched it in 2-3 years. My only complaint is a group squirrels playing tag in front yard will trigger/FP. Seems 3 or more is the magic number.

Where did you mount it?  At a previous house I used a pair of Optex, which looked similar but was PIR only (no microwave).  The Optex worked fairly well--although it had its share of false alarms--but it had to be wall mounted pretty low at that particular house (driveway was steeply sloped and wasn't as long), and so it was highly visible.  Highly visible was probably a feature at that house (the home buyer never changed a thing), but undesirable in the current house.

I'm somewhat intrigued by the Visonic TOWER-20AM Octa-Quad PIR for intruder detection.  It has a larger, more awkward looking profile than I would like, but as a tradeoff it promises "virtually no false alarms."  Allegedly it uses 8 PIR sensors, each of which is a quad.  No microwaves.

73977.jpg

Anyone here have any experience with it?  http://www.smarthome.com/73977/Visonic-TOWER-20AM-Outdoor-Octa-PIR-Mirror-Detector/p.aspx  Is it a noteworthy improvement, or just marketing fluff?  Cost is approximately $160, which is comparable to the Rokonet above.

Do I need microwaves as part of the solution?  I guess if they're outdoor and aimed *away* from the house, maybe I'm OK with it.  I'm open to the idea, but in general, I'd rather not use microwave unless it offers a clear benefit I just can't get without it.

I used one of these for my front walk and another for the driveway. They are wireless and battery powered. I'm converting them to 6vdc wired so I won't have to deal with the battery problem.

I mounted them to pressure treated wood stakes behind the front landscaping, but with a clear view. I had to set them to min sensitivity and carefully aim them to minimize false hits, but so far (2months) so good.

The rcvr has a nc/no relay output for one channel, and +12v for the other, so pretty straightforward to connect to the Elk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Driveway-Alarm-Professional-Motion-Alert-System-w-Lifetime-Warranty-/111373688176?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I guess I should mention how I'm using these. Simple stuff - the Elk announces visitor front walk or driveway visitor during "awake" time; the iSY controller will turn on the post light and porch sidelights during after dusk visiting hours, and the front floods during not welcome night hours. Right now, they're set to turn off after 5 minutes.

Discrete and reliable for outdoor are traditionally mutually exclusive items. Usually the bulk of the detector is made up by the housing to be suitable for IP ratings and other factors.

Reliablity would be a PE beam to set up a "fence" that needs to be crossed, but you're going to need to have a tower or mount to do what you really want.

A PIR/dualtec is the second way to go, but no matter how "impervious" they are to falses...they false. Especially if there's no enclosure/fence to define where the signal "dies" instead of at the maximum range of the unit. Also, the pattern needs to have movement "across" the pattern, which is a difficult thing when mounting on a house looking straight out. Performance is going to be less than ideal and same with capture.

I've used Bosch and Protech units outdoors many times.

DELInstallations said:
A PIR/dualtec is the second way to go, but no matter how "impervious" they are to falses...they false. Especially if there's no enclosure/fence to define where the signal "dies" instead of at the maximum range of the unit. Also, the pattern needs to have movement "across" the pattern, which is a difficult thing when mounting on a house looking straight out. Performance is going to be less than ideal and same with capture.
Yup. Mine aren't aimed dead on, but at roughly 30 degrees of the target hit area. I had to select the minimal sense setting, and point the unit down about 15 degrees to limit the falses from motion on the road or neighbor's yard.

Also, I guess it goes without saying, but you'll need a quick and easy way to silence these motion announcements when the lawn service shows up, exterminator, etc. I used the Elk keypad F6 to silence for 2.5 hours.

Sadly, the dimensions on the Visonic Tower are nearly 7" x 6" x 5".

Anyone have additional suggestions, or have we basically covered it all?

Back