[Blogs] Beelzeblog - PC Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
I'm happy to report that my capacitor issue is resolved, thanks to a small electronic workshop at work here and some friendly people. So, all bad caps are replaced with new caps, and my PC freezing issue is finally solved!!
Until this morning at 11am, when it did it again. :)
So now begins the absolutely exciting and fun task of troubleshooting a non-repeatable, semi-often issue that completely disables the PC running your WHS and CQC installations. Wheeeee!!! :axe:
The symptoms are this.... I go to check something on CQC, and when I click on a button, or try to bring up an interface, I get a "Waiting for CQC" screen, which means it can't communicate with the master server. I'll then also look at the WHS icon in the taskbar, and it's grey, which usually means the server isn't turned on. Since the server is *always* on, that's bad. So, I go down to the basement, and all the lights and fans are on...it's just not responding to anything. No network connections, no mouse or keyboard there in the rack...nothing. So, I have to hard reboot it, and up it comes, all happy. Last night, it only stayed alive for about 12 hours, but before that it was staying alive for a week or more.
I had DEARLY hoped that fixing the caps would keep this from happening again...it seemed to only start happening maybe a month ago. I just figured the cap problem was getting worse. Well, no such luck.
So now begins the troubleshooting, coupled with possible reasons it's doing this. One of the real problems with this is that because it's fine for variable periods of time, it makes it very hard to try something and then have to wait and see if that solved it or not.
One of the last things I'll try is a WHS reinstall, as there's very little I've installed on WHS other than CQC and various other utilities.
First up, CPU overheat.
I'm going to say it's *not* this, because in the past when the cpu overheats, the system just shuts down. I've already experienced this before with another board. Also, I've verified the fan is turning (the fan failed on the other board). But, just to see, I'll reboot into the bios and check the CPU temps there and make sure they not unreasonable. Kind of a pointless test, since if the CPU is just idling, it could stay cool with just a heatsink and no fan...but if it's chugging away doing something, that's really when it needs cooling....and obviously a reboot into bios, it won't be doing anything. But still, worth a look.

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back