[Blogs] The Nexus Technoblog - Asterisk Home PBX Setup -Trixbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
I have decided to play around with setting up an Asterisk PBX here at home. There are two popular distributions out there that do most of the heavy lifting for you, AsteriskNow and Trixbox. It seems like Trixbox might be more popular so I have decided to give it a spin.

The first concern is scraping together the hardware I will need to make this happen.

From my reading I will collect the following items.

Old desktop PC to be the server. (Free)
Trixbox Software - Which is really Linux, Asterisk, and the Asterisk add ons all squished into the installer. (Free)
A 32 GB SSD so I can remove one of the moving part from the equation. (100 bucks)
A used Digium TDM410P card with 3x FXO and 1 FXS ports. (125 bucks)
I have a Vonage line and a Verizon line that I will use as my trunks. (So no additional cost)
A used Polycom 650 SIP phone (135. This is probably over kill but I have used Polycoms before and they seem to ROCK on VOIP to VOIP calls.)

Total: $360 bucks to have a commercial(ish) grade PBX at home. Sure it wont be fault tolerant but thats OK. If anything happens I can just plug old phones into the wall and be OK.

Before I get to the fun part of installing and configuring the software I need to put this computer somewhere it can run 24x7 and have access to both phone lines. My office already is sweltering from all the equipment but its the only spot that has Ethernet and a phone jack in close proximity. But my comfort trump convenience so this bad box is going in the garage and I will add a phone jack close to where the Asterisk box will be.

Construction details in the next post!

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back