Can you recommend...camera system in a box...

Here's a quickie snapshot from a reasonably priced (<$200) 1.3 MP IP camera I've been playing with. Software needs some adjustments still.

Image Compression
H.264&JPEG
Image Sensor
1/3" 1 megapixel CMOS
Lens
3.6mm lens
ICR function
Support,36pcsф8 IR leds(3.6MM/6MM)
Support,20pcsф8+4pcsф25 IR leds(8MM/12MM/16MM)
Minimum illumination
[email protected] ,0Lux@IR-cut On
IR Distance
5-20meters
Sensitivity
1.0V/lux-sec (550nm)
Video Resolution
Primary stream:25fps @ 1280 x 720,1024x768,800x592,800x450, 650x480,640x368, 480x368,480x272
Video Bit rate
256 Kbps – 8 Mbps
Audio Compression
PCMU/PCMA
Network Connector
10M/100Mbps self-adaption , RJ45
Network Protocol
TCP, UDP, IP, HTTP, DHCP, RTP, RTSP, FTP, SMTP, DNS, DDNS, NTP,ICMP, IGMP, ARP,SIP
DDNS
YES
Working Condition.
Temperature:-10°C ~ +50°C Humidity:10%-90%
Power Supply
DC12V

picture-6.jpg

Here is a side by side view of the new Ubiquito Air Cam and the generic IP camera that I am testing outdoors.

Ubiquito - $110.00 USD
Generic - $127.00 USD

While the Ubiquito is very reasonably priced for a MP camera; its basically a no frills IP outdoor POE IP camera with a very limited OS feature set. That said getting ready to test a newer smaller footprint POE outdoor 2 MP camera and smaller PT MP dome camera.

The attached picture is from Zoneminder via RTSP streams to both IP cameras. I moved both IP cameras outside such that they are adjacent to each other. The generic IP camera though has a 3.6 mm/F1.2 lens and the Ubiquito has a 4.0 mm/F1.5 lens

Attachments

• ZM-Generic-Aircam-1MP.jpg
    ZM-Generic-Aircam-1MP.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 50
I recently returned my Ubiquiti Air Cam that I had in for testing.....as it is hardly what I would call "outdoor" ready. The documentation clearly states not to have the camera aimed down too much and looking at the back I see why. I would only use the Ubiquiti in a well protected area outdoors. Just my 2 cents.

Yes I would agree with you on the Ubiquito AirCam. It will ding their wireless business a bit.

The AirCam appears to be something they got out the door relating to how cheap they could do it. The OS is very lacking.

That said I left mine outside to test anyways.

Just a quick follow up. I left the Ubiquto out exposed to the weather. That said we had a major storm with some 72 MPH winds at the end of June.

We lost our oldest tree (12" trunk about 30 something feet high), the stainless grill got knocked down on the deck and we saw a very heavy pot (with a tree in it) move on the deck.

The camera continued to work just fine until it had no power. I took it down to look at it and it never got wet. The generic camera next to it did get wet and I had to open it up and dry it. Its still working fine.

I moved the Ubiquito Aircam to the old weathercam location under an eave in the front of the house and while it doesn't have night vision it is doing well. So in all honesty you are getting a decent camera for the price.

In the last two weeks or so Ubiquito and Grandtec have updated their firmware. I was having issues streaming HD with VLC; I am not having any issues now streaming with the new firmwares.

Here are the two weather camera views. The front of the house camera is the Ubiquito. I refocused the generic IP camera. It was difficult because it has a close to or more 30 second buffer. I didn't refocus the Aircam and I should have.

Attachments

• MontageView-1.jpg
    MontageView-1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 30
Yes. I paid a bit over $100 for my one camera. It doesn't have night vision and there is an IR lens glued to the back of the main lens. I did purchase and try a wider lens but it didn't come with the IR Filter and really changed the color view. I tested it without the spring which helps keeping the lens in place. That said you would probably have to cut the spring to fit the wider angled lens.

The generic IP camera has dynamic/manual IR filtering. with 4 large cree style lamps for night vision. They do get warm when running. Here is a view from the generic IP camera this morning during a rain storm.

Attachments

• WC-1.jpg
    WC-1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 29
This other "test" IP generic camera that I am playing with appears to be having floodlight illumination of that section of the yard from the other camera's view installed. Much more than 30 feet.

That said though my preference would be for a better OS and optics as IR illumination outside can be done with external lighting way better than any I have seen integrated into any of the analog cameras I've tested. That's me though and my personal opinion.

Here is a side by side view of the new Ubiquito Air Cam and the generic IP camera that I am testing outdoors.

Ubiquito - $110.00 USD
Generic - $127.00 USD

While the Ubiquito is very reasonably priced for a MP camera; its basically a no frills IP outdoor POE IP camera with a very limited OS feature set. That said getting ready to test a newer smaller footprint POE outdoor 2 MP camera and smaller PT MP dome camera.

The attached picture is from Zoneminder via RTSP streams to both IP cameras. I moved both IP cameras outside such that they are adjacent to each other. The generic IP camera though has a 3.6 mm/F1.2 lens and the Ubiquito has a 4.0 mm/F1.5 lens

Pete,

In one, I'd say you need to water...the other, nice lawn!

--Dan

Thanks Dan.

Really bad with colors; colorblind in fact; sometimes easier to tell folks that I just see in black and white.....There are much more means in the OS of the generic IP camera so I guess I maybe tweaking it a bit much?

That said attached are two sets of pictures. The left pictures are using two analog cameras. The blue sky looks the same in both to me. The grass though looks more green on the left camera when in fact its the same color as the grass on the right. These two cameras have some electromechanical optics on them. The right picture is using the digital cameras with the left being the Aircam and the right being the generic.

I tried to adjust the two digital cameras such that maybe now they are about the same in colors in the third picture.

A question to the readers of this post:

Which of the two pictures in the third set of pictures appears to have the best color rendition?

The left or the right?

Attachments

• analog-1a.jpg
    analog-1a.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IPVIEWSa.jpg
    IPVIEWSa.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IPVIEWSb.jpg
    IPVIEWSb.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 22
A question to the readers of this post:

Which of the two pictures in the third set of pictures appears to have the best color rendition?

The left or the right?
Tough to say since the picture on the left is much darker. I'd have to go with the one on the right as it appears natural with the different shades of green.

Thanks video321.

I didn't change any settings just took another snapshot this afternoon.

Attachments

• IPVIEWSc.jpg
    IPVIEWSc.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 25
Back