ceiling fans? big ass ones?

When we purchased our great room fan a year ago, one of my requirements was that the light kit bulb filaments not be visible, severely limiting our choices.

Changing can light bulbs 20 feet up sounds daunting. I wonder how easy those extension poles are to use. I'll be sure to use something with screw-in LEDs if we go that route.

wkearney99 said:
That and the wife knows about it having a light and if I remove the light then I'll have a blank on the wall plate.  Yes, this has little to do with technology and everything to do with marital harmony.  
I have never used RA2, but with UPB, I would fix this by putting a lamp on two nightstands and a dresser, and then controlling them from the wall switch.  

Table lamps give off a pleasant light, but most people dont turn them on because it is a hassle.    All of my table lamps are controlled by wall switches.   I consider this one of the top 10 features of my automation system.

The room is already sufficiently lit.  There are cans in the ceiling and wall-mounted lights (on articulated arms) at the headboard (both sides).  There's also keypads on both sides allowing control of everything from either side.  There's a button on the keypads for fan on/off.  All that's working fine. 

I also use RA2 dimmers for table lamps elsewhere in the house.  Either the table-top kind or ones in-line.  They all work great.

From the BAF residential designer:

"I am the residential designer based out of our HQ offices in Kentucky. I was forwarded your request for control information on our Haiku fan model. We now have a work around that allows the fan to turn on and off using the home automation system described below. The haiku fans will need to have the SenseME (smart fan) technology which will allow the fan to integrate properly.
Please note that you still wont be able to change the fan speed through the automation system, but will be able to turn it on/off.
What is the project name/location and I can work up a detailed budget quote for you."

I listed RA2 as the automation controller in my inquiry about 'a client' interested in haiku fans. She proceeded to ask for project information...which I don't have. If you are still interested, PM me, and I can help facilitate.

Just Googled the technolgy mentioned.  Interesting read....

Big Ass Fans has unveiled the new 'Haiku' ceiling fan with 'SenseME' technology, which is billed as the world's first smart ceiling fan and features an on-board computer that utilizes a companion app on iOS devices. The ceiling fan is composed of a durable bamboo material and boasts an array of sensors that automate a number of tasks, such as adjusting fan speed and powering the fan on and off. The fan also learns a user's preferences based on weather conditions and a person's tendencies in a room.

SenseME monitors a room's occupancy and local temperature conditions, adjusting Haiku’s speed when conditions change so the space is always pleasant. If you make changes to the speed, SenseME remembers and makes more personalized speed adjustments in the future; after all, comfort is personal. Haiku with SenseME turns any room into a comfortable, energy-efficient Micro Environment.

The Haiku's companion app provides the user with additional functionalities, including the ability to set schedules for the fan and select from a number of different control modes. The app allows users to group fans, and can also work without a home Wi-Fi network, utilizing the LAN provided by the fan's onboard Wi-Fi radio. iOS 7 devices compatible with the Haiku's companion app include the 5th generation iPod Touch, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, and iPads running iOS 7.

The Haiku with SenseME could also be a prime candidate for certification under Apple's new HomeKit initiative, which allows home automation devices and their apps to work with Apple's apps using a single, secure protocol. While Big Ass Fans and the Haiku are not currently listed under Apple's partners for the program, it is likely that this will change if the product becomes popular.

The Haiku with SenseME can be pre-ordered in fan diameters of 52'' and 60'' at a starting price of $1,045 with the first units being shipped in 8-12 weeks. Users may also choose to include a smart LED light on the fan for $95.

If anyone is of a curious bent, this Freescale 56f80x application note contains a good explanation about how brushless DC motors are controlled. This might well be the very chip used in the Fanimation unit I mentioned above, but I haven't had the nerve yet to crack open the receiver/controller unit to peek. The startup mechanism as described in the pdf is pretty much exactly what happens when I turn the fan on. It slowly moves backward a couple of degrees, then forward a couple of degrees before it starts ramping up speed. According to the application note, that happens when the system is sensing rotor position in order to synchronize the three phase of DC power pwm that is used move the magnetic field to push the rotors smoothly.. Pretty cool.

Anyway, unless someone wants to get a 56f80x dev kit and connect the chip to a zwave/zigbee/wifi/powerline controller, it's unlikely we'll be able to hack this at the motor-feed interface. Maybe it is still possible to hack it at the motor controller input by replacing the remote receiver with one that talks a real HA language. Either way, at least I can say that I learned something new :)

I've been struggling with this issue too, and it looks like automation controllers should be able to communicate with the Haiku fans that have SenseMe. Below is an example of one for Indigo where they basically reverse-engineer the communication protocol... I don't know if BAF will ever introduce an API or a more formal control protocol, but this may be the best option for people running an automation layer on top of RR2.

http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=14438

I moved into a new house recently that needed lots of fans replaced.  I struggled looking for HA compatible. options  In the end I went with pull chain Casablancas, which I has happy to find they still make.  They aren't their highest end motors and you loose efficentcy doing AC over DC, but they are very well build and automate perfcetly for on/off, speed, and lighting (if installed).  For example this is one I used:

http://www.casablancafanco.com/Ceiling-Fans/Brescia?modelnumber=55016

Back