Chamberlain Group officially blocks DIY home automation solutions

1699321824711.pngIn an announcement which will probably surprise no-one, Chamberlain, the company behind the popular cloud myQ garage door control service, announced that it's intentionally blocking all 3rd party home automation platforms which aren't authorized, effectively blocking all DIY platforms such as Home Assistant.
Chamberlain Group recently made the decision to prevent unauthorized usage of our myQ ecosystem through third-party apps.
This decision was made so that we can continue to provide the best possible experience for our 10 million+ users, as well as our authorized partners who put their trust in us. We understand that this impacts a small percentage of users, but ultimately this will improve the performance and reliability of myQ, benefiting all of our users.
We encourage those who were impacted to check out our authorized partners here: https://www.myq.com/works-with-myq
We’ll continue to provide important updates and developments related to myQ on our Chamberlain Group and myQ newsroom.
-Dan Phillips, Chief Technology Officer

Home Assistant also announced the official retirement of the myQ integration, while recommending the ESP32 based ratdgo solution, which is fully local and works with the Chamberlain/Liftmaster hardware.

I installed Odyssey 1000 openers on my garage doors. They will open when you short the controller wires. (not sure if they still do this but they did 8 years ago) That enabled me to automate the doors without the cloud.

I have not found a liftmaster GDO that will operate by shorting the wires-- they are too sophisticated. However, you probably could bypass the cloud and hook your GDO to automation by hotwiring a remote.

On the Chamberlain/Liftmaster you can hack the pushbutton to operate it with a relay of your choice in my case an Insteon I/O Link.

1699627139290.png

Attachments

• 1699627106405.png
    1699627106405.png
    415.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The newer Liftmaster GDOs utilize digital buttons. You can purchase a digital button from Amazon for around $10 USD.

There are traces on the button to solder two wires for use with a regular button.

1699626980268.png

Here a plans for a mini Tasmota GDO.

Last edited:
Back