Coming off Quiet mode without the Chime

I think we need a better way.... do you think it would be possible to have a certified firmware version and on non-certified version? Seems like we need a home automation version that has more flexibility and a more dynamic feature set...

To me, that would make sense. After all, as homeowners we don't need UL certification on alarms.

That is not necessarily true (many jurisdictions require a UL Listing on the equipment). But I have actually been discussing with UL about allowing Home Automation changes etc in firmware and documentation and not having to resubmit to UL. Brought it up with them again today as a matter of fact. There are ways it can be addressed.

Maybe Spanky and I should double team UL. LOL
More of my lack of experience showing. I didn't read anything about UL listing in what I received from my county. And none of the insurance companies I represent ever asked for proof of UL listing for homeowners policies.

I think we need a better way.... do you think it would be possible to have a certified firmware version and on non-certified version? Seems like we need a home automation version that has more flexibility and a more dynamic feature set...

To me, that would make sense. After all, as homeowners we don't need UL certification on alarms.

That is not necessarily true (many jurisdictions require a UL Listing on the equipment). But I have actually been discussing with UL about allowing Home Automation changes etc in firmware and documentation and not having to resubmit to UL. Brought it up with them again today as a matter of fact. There are ways it can be addressed.

Maybe Spanky and I should double team UL. LOL
More of my lack of experience showing. I didn't read anything about UL listing in what I received from my county. And none of the insurance companies I represent ever asked for proof of UL listing for homeowners policies.

Depends on where you live etc. Boston is getting real tough. The whole state of MA is getting more aggressive. Many other areas to.

Silent chime mode change from a Rule has been implemented in next software release. Probably 5.1.22 or 5.2.0. This will include the Honeywell Ademco receiver capability.

So if you want chime mode change from a Rule to be audible, sorry! :)

Thanks for your input.

Thx Spanky! Any rough-estimate on timing? (next month; 4th quarter; 2012)?

If UL is the big holdup and they're not willing to change any time soon, that makes a huge case for separating the "Alarm" function from from the HA - just having a solid interface between the two so they don't feel disconnected. It seems like Elk could be much more responsive and agile without that holdup.

As far as the extra cost of documentation, etc - why not have the "Official" releases that are tested, documented, etc - with lots of "Beta" releases? I'm sure we'd all (and I hope to include any professionals who install Elk products) be ok with informal documentation and a little extra legwork here and there... and those who aren't can stick with the official versions while the rest of us support the growth and advancement of the product (and helping test, etc).

I love the fact that everything is tightly integrated - but if separating them just enough to keep UL out of your business makes the company more agile it'd be worth considering.

I'm still configuring my new system to get everything set up correctly. I ran into this problem as well when my chime re-enabled and I was still sleeping. Scared the crap out of me when the keypad chimed while I was sleeping. It's so loud I may have to make changes and just use it as an alarm clock

I would like to see the silent chime enable option implemented as well, thank you

ADT Security purchased some Smith Alarm accounts in various places 5 yrs ago. To turn on/off the chimes indicating a door opening on a Smith system, hit #6.

What I don't like about the chime is that it does not indicate when the door closes or the zone is cleared. I've seen this feature on other, in most ways inferior, security systems. They used a two-tone signal with reversed pitch, kind of like the windows USB plug in / plug out tones, so you could tell when a door was opening or closing. Is this patented by some other company or something? How come ELK doesn't do this?

Could anyone post the rules they use for chime disable/re-enable. I am starting to leave for work earlier now so looking for a way to allow me to exit the front door (without making a sound) when system is starting from armed-stay mode with voice-chime enabled. In theory I would like to automaticly siliently disable and re-enable the alarm when I leave if it was armed-stay when I woke up that morning.

This is for times when I leave between 6:30am and 7:30am so time can be part of the rule...

On thought was have a rule that when I trigger upstairs motion sensor (in hallway) between 6a and 7am to silently disable the alarm and then siliently re-enable it after I open/close the front door.

Or I could leave the alarm enabled when I wake up do it with a button/combination on the keypad when I walk out the door. Any thoughts on how others are doing this now would be helpful.

Here is my solution. I'm sure there are better ones.

26 WHENEVER THE TIME IS 10:00 PM
AND THE DAY(S) OF THE WEEK IS/ARE SMTWTFS
THEN DISABLE NON-ALARM VOICE MESSAGES
27 WHENEVER THE TIME IS 7:45 AM
AND THE DAY(S) OF THE WEEK IS/ARE SMTWTFS
THEN ENABLE NON-ALARM VOICE MESSAGES

Back