Comparing two surge protection devices

The guy I spoke to liked the MRJ for my network. It offers a little more protection because it shunts to ground at a lower threshold than the 110c6a but at the same time it will probably have a shorter lifespan for the same reason. The more current that the device shunts the more wear and tear on it. It is a judgement call. At the same time he said that he would be comfortable with either in this situation.

You want to choose a device that will clamp very close to the service voltage but not so close that you risk interfering with the data going through the device. The MRJ is very close but they know from testing that it is good with IP.

I like the MRJ because it uses rj45 termination rather than punch-down . I can easily test the device with a cat6 cable tester and two patch cables and it will be easy to test and replace in the future.

Mike.

What I learned that was most helpful is that surge protection is not an exact science and that it acceptable to recommend either device for my application. The first Ditek rep that recommended the 110c6a was making an acceptable recommendation and the rep that I spoke to today was making an eqaully good recommendation with the MRJ. They both will allow data to pass through them and shunt over voltages to ground before damage occurs to network equipment assuming that the device is installed correctly.

"Installed correctly" assumes that the distance between the surge protector and earth is sufficiently shorter and less resistance than the distance between the surge device and any network equipment. This way the current is shunted to earth so fast that it does not have time to travel the distance over cable to your equipment.

Mike.

Makes sense.

Having said that, I'm curious... do they have similar devices that work for POE devices (e.g. require 48VDC to operate)? I'll check their website... Just wasn't sure if you've looked at any.

EDIT: They do in the MRJ product line: DTK-MRJPOEM or DTK-MRJPOE

pete_c said:
Yeah I have not paid attention to stuff installed over 10 years ago here.  I think it is working but really have no way to test it or whether it even works today.  I think it does work as I have seen neighbors here lose electrical stuff in recent years.

The largest surge protector here is on the fuse panel with it's own circuits / alarm outputs.  I went with a commercial style there. Way overkill but the prices was right.  It has triggered an alarm a few times over the years.  Looks like it keeps working.  It doesn't though have anything to do with other LV wiring and is only for the incoming electrical.  I did add another one for the outdoor HVAC compressor for HV only though.

All of the rest of the ingress of outdoor LV stuff here comes in to the home via one "d-mark" and I do utilize a ground stake right there.  No exterior building though.  IE: no garage or shed with anything in it.  Old house struck by lighting did have a detached garage and shed that was LV and HV wired.  At the time did what I could do relating to protection; that said didn't know back then what I know today about it.

PTX160-PTE160.gif

I do watch lighting with incoming storms.  That said read that my lightning sensor has some 25 miles sensing radius.  Typically on an average day see less than 10 strikes of lighting.  Incoming storms register lightning strikes in to the thousands and it  happens really fast.  Took NOAA weather watching classes and typically if anything run outside / drive with camera to take pictures and don't really think much of what will happen should the house take a lightning strike.  (old age?).

Pete

What do you have in your house that draws enough power to need a 3-phase service?

What do you have in your house that draws enough power to need a 3-phase service?

The one I purchased is a two phase.  I did post the DIY installation (with pictures) here on the forum.  It was a great deal on the product (commercial) and way overkill for a house.  Didn't have a feed through hole in the case and I didn't know anything about using a punch so I drilled a hole on the side of it to connect the cables to the fuse panel which consumed most of the time relating to installation of the device.  The wiring was the easy part.   I think the guts are in epoxy.  The fancy one shows a bunch of HV dynamic status stuff UPS like.

That said in the old home detached garage (with the door open - 1980's) I would almost always blink the house links playing with lasers on rails in the garage.  (borrowed old ion lasers).  It was low on the WAF at the time.

At the time never really paid any attention to what a lightning bolt could do to my house electronics...I would hear things spark sometimes. 

That whole lightning bolt thing is still really goosey loosey science. (as mentioned above).

Goofing around (not recommended before a thunderstorm approaches) and in a rush in the 1970's helping a friend put a small antenna tower (over 20 feet using guy wires to hold mini tower in place on his 2 story flat roof home) on his roof right before an incoming storm.  The storm was coming fast such that we quit to have a beer in the house.  The antenna cable was run but not finished.  We sat in his family room to take a break and drink a beer or two and watched a light show (sparks) from the antenna wall plate to a electrical wall plate over a foot away.

Thank you for sharing Mike.

Here use my lightning sensor to watch for lightning.  The hard numbers are usable for triggers / events.

I always liked the view from the above interactive lightning map.  

Your posts had me looking for a dynamic lightning map gif file to download this morning. 

Looks like someone wrote a script to convert the lightning map to a gif file.

I have configured the automation software to download this gif file about once an hour. 

With the two I can create a lightning touchscreen display.

GIF download file is here:

dub dub dub saratoga-weather.org/BO-new/BO/BONorthAmerica-ani.gif

animatedlightninggif.jpg

Lightning recorder graph

lightning today.gif

Attached is the touchscreen page sans the buttons.

The lightning and weather map are animated gifs. Cam picture is live.
lightning.jpg

Back