Controller pros and cons

Customtech

I had this in a different post but I should have just started a new topic with my question. I want to know everybody's opinion on controllers. I think I'm pretty set on using z-wave technology. I really like the technology and think it has a ton of support. What controllers are you using? What do you like about them what don't you like about them? In your opinion why is controller A better than controller B? What about commercial? Does anybody know automation in that industry? Such as schools, hotels universities etc..

We're typically using AMX and Crestron as our platforms and integrating what we need to on a case by case basis. We're a full service LV contractor/integrator, and in a typical resi/commercial job, the other products don't have the power or capabilities that are needed.

I think Zwave has it's place in a small install or small integration project, but I doubt highly you'll see it being deployed on anything larger than that. Larger and more complex installations typically have the infrastructure for a more robust solution. Zwave is honestly, a consumer grade technology.

That said, Zwave has it's place, but you need to know what your customer base and market is and what you're trying to accomplish with the product, as well as what stage of the process you are going to be involved in. Retrofit, it's a good solution, but a new install, I'd choose another technology/product.

While I don't entirely disagree with DEL, I would say that it also depends to some degree on your client base. Not all clients can afford a Crestron or AMX rig. There is a place for "consumer" grade gear. Our clients are, after all, consumers and the mid tier market is considerably larger than the uber wealthy base. There's a reason that HAI has more installs than all other automation platforms. It's more affordable than Crestron, AMX, Savant, etc. I don't know squat about Z-Wave, never installed a single device. With that said, you need to know it inside out before you install it in a client's home. It may work terrificly for them but, that will depend upon your abilities and solid design chops. I have installed hundreds upon hundreds of "consumer" grade UPB devices in projects and had great results. YMMV.

We have plenty of people that aren't using AMX and Crestron, and truthfully, a small AMX system isn't too pricey overall, but it comes down to the level of integration on the project.

There's a lot of platforms and technology out there, but I don't know if I'd completely depend on Zwave to provide my integration. The goal is to provide the best product to do what the client wants, or at least what you told them it could do. You may never have a client push the limits of the hardware's capabilites, but I wouldn't limit yourself to a single technology.

Back