Controlling LED RGB Rope Lighting

elvisimprsntr said:
I think I read the lights use zigbee or zwave. Can you control the lights using your existing compatible HA controller and ditch the Phillips unit?
It should be possible but I'm not sure. Also, even if possible, other controllers might not have command set to change colors. On the other hand, Philips controller basically accepts JSON over HTTP. And while Philips doesn't officially support DIY at this point, they don't prohibit it and might even embrace it in the future. The protocol is pretty simple, the only problem is it doesn't accept RGB inputs.

I actually ordered and have that RS232 controller linked above sitting around somewhere... Bought it to see if the M1or Elve could control my RGB strips but never had time to do anything with it so I never even opened it.

In theory it could be a fun solution... And combined with RGB amplifiers it could probably control a ton of the RGB strips.

My rgb strips have a module with an ir receiver it came with a 64 key remote and it has 6 memory banks which are assigned their own ir code. I was thinking of using my sqblaster or another ir blaster to change colors as needed.
The best part is it retains the last setting it was on if power is cut so when power returns its at the same setting.
Got mine off ebay ledwholesalers i believe was the name.
Set these up on a the lip of a landing and under the rim of a clawfoot tub . Pretty sweet.

Ok, so what's the best deal on an RGB rope light which we could control with this controller (or an Arduino based controller)?

I am a newcomer to the home automation field and am researching my first setup.  One of my requirements is to be able to control both the Hue and arduino-controlled RGB lighting.  However, I am not sure which home automation systems are capable of doing this.  For the Hue, which HA systems allow JSON/HTTP scripting?  For an arduino-based device, how do you connect it to the controller?  I would not want to run a cable to the central controller.  Are there wireless/UPB methods?  

I have no personal experience but have a look at planet christmas forums, RGB LED is all the rage in Christmas displays now.

forums.planetchristmas.com

Back