Covering smoke and CO detectors (lost the included covers)

chrisexv6

I need to cover my System Sensor smoke, heat and CO detectors for an upcoming basement project. Unfortunately I "misplaced" (possibly permanently ;) ) the included dust covers.

What is a quick and dirty way I can cover them up? Will a plastic bag do?

Thanks.

-Chris

If it's dust, the only item that truly *needs* to be covered is a smoke detector. if it's ceiling and wall finishes (paint, compound, etc.) then you're better off pulling the units and storing them.

If you don't have the covers, you can place the units within a sealed plastic bag, with tape helping where the wires enter.

Barring all of that, if you have enough ability, the other route is to temporarily remove the detectors and tie the wiring through to satisfy the loop/panel to see no fault and replace when the work is complete.

Thanks everyone. I know I can buy the covers, the problem is I cant get them fast enough. I do plan on ordering enough for all my detectors and storing them somewhere safe.

I actually found one cover, I have it on the smoke detector right now. I still have 1 heat detector and 1 CO detector down there. The CO is its own zone so thats easy enough to take down and bypass. The heat is on a loop but the wiring is very easy to get to. Ill take that down too.

Ill see about taking down the smoke as well, should just be a matter of making sure I get the in/out labelled correctly so that when I go to reinstall it I dont have any issues maintaining the loop (2 wire smokes)

In/out does not make a difference with the smokes, assuming you used standard colors and wiring methods (such as not flopping pairs between units)

You can also take some electrical tape and put 1 wrap on the "in" and 2 on the "out" if you're really concerned on knowing which is which.

Back