Cree LED Light Bulbs at Local Home Depot Half Off

This was in a store in Las Vegas, YMMV, but hopefully this is nation wide! :)

Can others report in if they find them in their areas?

Web site is showing the 60W at ~20% off for my local store. 40W are not on sale.

Does the site show the pricing you saw for your location?

There is a deal at the HD in Naperville, IL at the contractors desk for bulk 60W Crees.  Just got the info from a friend that bought them.  Buy 5 6-packs of 60W Crees for $57.60.  That's $1.92 per bulb!  He bought the package and says they are dimmable.  Haven't checked out my local HD yet, but will Monday or Tuesday.  But I can drive to Naperville in 30 minutes :)

TonyNo said:
Web site is showing the 60W at ~20% off for my local store. 40W are not on sale.

Does the site show the pricing you saw for your location?
Made a mistake on the 40w (not half off, but still a good deal)...  Screen shot from "In Store" search for West Las Vegas location.

cree.jpg

In CA, only the TW bulbs get subsidies anymore... iostream - I was in Elk Grove the other day and saw the 40W TW's for 3.97/bulb - SMUD's area seems to have the best discounts around us right now.

These are often subsidized by the power companies - so you can try different home depots in different cities and power company areas to see the different pricing - and you can usually see it online by selecting the local stores in different areas.

One thing that annoys me about the LED companies is the liberties they take in assigning "equivalent": incandescence wattage to their bulbs.  I would expect it from from the cheap Chinese stuff but not from a company with a good reputation like Cree.

Their standard A-Type bulbs seems to be right on.  A 60 watt equivalent puts out 800 lumens just as Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb has in their standard table.
http://www.cree.com/Lighting/Products/Indoor/Consumer/Standard-AType-Bulbs

But their BR30 65 watt equivalent only puts out 650 lumens.  Why do they rate a lower lumens bulb at a higher equivalent wattage?
http://www.cree.com/Lighting/Products/Indoor/Consumer/Reflector-FloodSpot-Bulbs

Filament bulbs output their light in all directions then need a reflector (well for the BR30s) to aim that light outward. LED bulbs are more directional and can really be directed straight out the top without the need for any reflector at all.  For that reason I would suspect that they can be a tad more efficient.

Have you actually compared these bulbs at all?  In every place that I've used a Cree LED to replace an incandescent, the Cree has been much brighter than the incandescent it replaced.  In the case of the A19's, the 40W Equiv Cree's have been noticeably brighter than the true 60W clear incandescent bulbs they replaced - and I've used about 30 so far; I plan to buy another 25 when I'm on the other side of town tomorrow.

The refectivity of even the cheap reflectors used in bulbs is up around 90%.

As I said, I'm not questioning the A19 bulbs, just the BR30 65W
From the link I posted, even the Cree PAR38 bulbs fall in line with incandescent
Cree PAR38 90W => 1500 lumens
incandescent 100W => 1600 lumens

Back