Dimmable LED Bulbs

Signal15-

I am going to use the 2700 in the kitchen. I can not tell the difference between the Cree's and a regular can light.

In our bathroom, I am going to install the 3100. It has a more bright white color.

I found some Sylvania "Ultra LEDs" that are a 4 inch bulb. That are also 2700 ish for the color. The problem is that they don't dim at all.

The Sylvania bulbs are only $30 and they are 7 watts. I can not tell any difference between the led's and regular bulbs

I have them connected to a rotary dimmer, and they make a buzz sound, but if I use them in a lamp they are quiet.

Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to install a UPB switch and see if the buzz goes away, if not back to a regular toggle switch

Steve

I bought some Philips Par-30 replacements. Looking directly into the light, they looked the same as my halogens. But, if you looked a the brightness and beam pattern on the floor, they were not even close. I had to return the LEDs, they just didn't provide enough bright coverage.

If you compare the beam pattern and brightness on the floor to the halogens, do they still look the same to you?

I've replaced 3 of the 50+ flood lights in my house in the last week. I wish they'd hurry up with this LED technology.

As a test purchased a number of Cree's LED's from AllEllectronics. I have had a couple outside now for about 3 years and they are working as well and bright as when first installed.

I wish they'd hurry up with this LED technology.

I wouldn't hold my breath... the fluorescent lamp has been around with very little improvement since 1931. Not to mention that current economics... doesn't make R&D more likely.

I try thinking about lighting differently for each light source used. Ceiling "can" lights... were never a great idea.. it takes huge amounts of light/energy to compensate for can lightings ineffectiveness. Even then... I find can lights to be good for floor lighting when vacuuming... but thats about it. Replacing and rewiring the cans so as to use spot lights (LED's?) pointed toward wall features might be helpful. Or even sconces mounted on walls. I've found that a small amount of light used to remove the dark corners and shadows makes the lower light levels seem more acceptable.

I'm actually quite pleased with the quality of light from the 2 Cree LR6 can lights I've installed. They just can't be dimmed to a low level.

I'm also not too pleased with the price of those 2 Cree LR6 can lights.

I hope that LED gets on the ball and makes some flood lights that can take the place for a bunch of my 100 watts and 75 watts bulbs. If I can't dim a light (even if it takes less than half the wattage like cfl) I don't want them. Is there really a date that incandescent lights will stop being made? If so, I am going to buy hundreds of them and store them for the future. There are tooooooo many instances where I need to dim my lights and not have them on full.

I wish they'd hurry up with this LED technology.

I wouldn't hold my breath... the fluorescent lamp has been around with very little improvement since 1931. Not to mention that current economics... doesn't make R&D more likely.

I try thinking about lighting differently for each light source used. Ceiling "can" lights... were never a great idea.. it takes huge amounts of light/energy to compensate for can lightings ineffectiveness. Even then... I find can lights to be good for floor lighting when vacuuming... but thats about it. Replacing and rewiring the cans so as to use spot lights (LED's?) pointed toward wall features might be helpful. Or even sconces mounted on walls. I've found that a small amount of light used to remove the dark corners and shadows makes the lower light levels seem more acceptable.

Are you kidding me? Can lights not a good idea? They are a great idea. They don't make you have to buy stupid looking light fixtures throughout your ceilings. They provide great direct lighting in office areas, kitchen work areas, living room and reading areas. They don't light your ceiling if that's what you mean but I have switched to many can lights and will never go back.

I hope that LED gets on the ball and makes some flood lights that can take the place for a bunch of my 100 watts and 75 watts bulbs. If I can't dim a light (even if it takes less than half the wattage like cfl) I don't want them. Is there really a date that incandescent lights will stop being made? If so, I am going to buy hundreds of them and store them for the future. There are tooooooo many instances where I need to dim my lights and not have them on full.

If I remember correctly I dont think the Federal requirements actually ban the sale of incandescent bulbs but requires that they be more efficient (and not just the incandescent type). I think a few manufacturers are already in compliance but I honestly never bothered to follow the subject.

This is similar to the Department of Energy requirements that all external power supplies sold for/with Consumer Electronics (and other products) meet a minimum Level IV Energy Star rating. It is out there but not really being enforced that I can see from what is on the shelves in the stores etc.

I also remember seeing that Incandescent Bulbs where not specifically baned. Just that a minimum efficiency was needed and that manufacturers are working on such bulbs.

I noticed that Lowes has these feit electric LED lamps in stock now.

http://www.feit.com/feit_led_hiperformance.html

Anyone tried them yet. Might have to check them out. The PAR38's are a bit cheaper than the Cree's but will they stand up? 21 watts draw, 725 lumens (claimed). Color 3000K. Rated time 30,000hrs.

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

Found them on the Lowes web site:

Lowes PAR38 Link

Personally not ready to spend that amount for 8 plus 1 cans for the kitchen.

I did purchase LED 120VAC (no transformer) hockey puck style lights for an experiement. Think I spend $60 or so and they've been on 24/7 now for a couple of months. Not impressed with color (supposed to be white)

IE: Showing a neighbor an intelligent powerline switch priced at 40-80 has the same effect.

Wonder how many Lowes will sell?

Are you kidding me? Can lights not a good idea? They are a great idea. They don't make you have to buy stupid looking light fixtures throughout your ceilings. They provide great direct lighting in office areas, kitchen work areas, living room and reading areas. They don't light your ceiling if that's what you mean but I have switched to many can lights and will never go back.
I am sorry... what I wrote does sound critical of the can fixtures doesn't it. I didn't mean to offend anyone... I have several of the can fixtures myself. They do have their uses. They are most certainly popular.

I switched to CFL more than a decade ago... and have several LEDs now. Keep in mind.. that I am not into any green beliefs... or any "new age" ideas. I look at these things very realistically. And whereas good engineering and planning can reduce energy use (of which lighting is only a small percent) just swapping out bulbs... isn't a good solution IMHO.

It doesn't matter if you get your candle power from actual candles... or neon (which is better than LED). Each light source has its own best uses. What I see as important in my switch to low energy use lighting... is maintaining quality lighting. Maybe I am just more sensitive to poor lighting than most people... but to me poor light really sucks. I know replacing fixtures are pricey. But I'd rather spend a few more bucks to get things right.... than return to the cave-like lighting we had in the '50's.

I have seen rooms pleasantly lighted using nothing more than proper window treatments and free sunshine. I have also seen rooms with uncomfortable glare and shadowy areas... yet using 800 watts of halogen floodlights. Sure you could switch out the halogens with CFL or LED's. But then all you'd have is a poorly lighted room... wasting less energy. All I am saying... is lets first and foremost... have decent lighting! And while were figuring out how to have the quality lighting our family's deserve... lets figure out how to do it using less energy too.

The problem that people have with cans is they just put them in and don't plan out. Cans need to be placed in strategic areas and not just does it look good in the that ceiling spot. If cans are placed in the right spot they will give you almost the best lighting possible. Cans are not a light up the whole room kind of light. They are an office light for direct to desktop or reading area. They are a kitchen light with direct to counter space. They are a tv room with light directed behind the tv and also to the seating area. They can when you add the eye balls be a direct to wall to highlight picture etc. Regular light fixtures do have their place in the house as we do have a beautiful (and rather expensive one) above our dining area and our living room area and bedrooms. To me though for tasking purposes cans are the only way to go. Also, don't forget that sometimes cool floor lamps give you exactly the look and the light you need in the area you want.

My home was finished before I moved in (all of the lighting) - I have added some here and there. The electrician did well with. IE: Every walk in closet has a light switch on the wall adjacent to each closet. Every bedroom / some additional rooms have switched 1/2 outlets (right switched left on all of the time). I do have some issues and have had to remind some folks not to use the switched outlets for vacumn cleaners etc.

I would have to say that most of the cans in the house are in the kitchen. My wife does use them everyday at 100% (creates a daylight appearance). Personally I shut them all off and use more of the localized kitchen lighting as that suits me fine. In both the dining room and living room I use both direct and indirect lighting. Indirect is mini halogen lighting. Direct is conventional legacy lighting. I did a test using CCFL's for exterior lights and removed them after a week. I am still still using CCFL's for the unfinished basement (~20 or so). In the garage use 300 watt incandescents (daylight like - never seen bulbs this big) and for a while tried a close to equivalent CCFL - which actually failed after about 2 months.

In my old garage (which I had built and was separate from the main house) I created a shop like environment (cuz I like to work on my vehicles) and put in somewhere around 24 flourescent 4 foot dual lights. It did create a daylight appearance in the garage.

I believe that LED's will eventually be the optimal choice for lighting providing both good lighting tones, low energy usage, longitivity and right colors.

Back