Distributing HD Throught the home

This method works very well for people who have/had a matrix switch as you have the option of keeping it or replacing it. Heck you can even sell many component matrixes for enough $ to buy a couple few HD extenders or several MVPs.

I dunno, do the math you can do a bunch for not too much $. Especially if you wanted distributed audio too, this is two birds with one stone.

Question on digital audio... do you run that over mini precision coax as well? Does it require just 1 run, making 4 total?

I currently have 2 cat5e's running to each room and use some older gear from Audio Authority to push it out through a VideoStorm CRM84 matrix switcher. Thinking I may be better off pulling some (3 or 4 runs?) of the mini precision coax vs. using the cat5e system. I can leave the cat 5's for other purposes like IR which the Audio Authority system currently handles for me... Thoughts?

cjett

IIRC, the SageHDExtender's only have optical, so you need analog out if you're doing a long run.

For digital coax audio, you only need 1 run, but i'd run 2 for a total of 5 (3 component) "just in case" you ever want to do an analog audio run.

For digital coax audio, you only need 1 run, but i'd run 2 for a total of 5 (3 component) "just in case" you ever want to do an analog audio run.

Does anyone make an "all in one" cabling solution with 5 in one?

cjett

PlanetWaves does. I bought a big 3-cable spool, but they also make 5wire ones. They are truly the easiest wires to attach connectors to, although you need to use their connectors.

I also hear that folks are using baluns (not audio authority, just baluns) so they can run 1 (or 2) cat5e, i've got no experience with that. It would certainly be nicer to run re-usable cables though, as component is fixed use.

PlanetWaves does. I bought a big 3-cable spool, but they also make 5wire ones. They are truly the easiest wires to attach connectors to, although you need to use their connectors.

I also hear that folks are using baluns (not audio authority, just baluns) so they can run 1 (or 2) cat5e, i've got no experience with that. It would certainly be nicer to run re-usable cables though, as component is fixed use.

Isn't anything that transmits video over cat 5 some kind of balun?

I've been happy with the Audio Authority stuff... but, going through some remodeling now, and thinking I'll upgrade some upgraded wiring at the same time.

cjett

I'm having a hard time finding mini precision coax, is it called by another name sometimes? Any advice on what to look for and what to avoid when selecting coax for this application?

To quote Carl Fedders on AVSForum (his post has product numbers for each size precision coax from both Coleman Cable and Belden. Those are the two name brands that I would try to stick with. I personally use the Coleman Mini Coax 99401.

Carl Fedders said:
You should use "precision video" coax, but you don't necessarily need RG6 18AWG product.

You will see in other recent forums why "precision video" coax is what you should use - but coax designed for CATV may work (just not as well).

If cost is a concern, why use RG6? You can use RG59 or mini coax - and the construction would be preferred to CATV Quad-shield coax. Even the mini coax should be fine for most runs in a home:

RG6, 18 solid BC center conductor, 100% foil, 95%TC braid
Uncompressed HDTV SMPTE 292M up to 370 feet
- Coleman 99601
- Belden 1694A (available in bundles)

RG59, 20 solid BC center conductor, 100% foil, 95%TC braid
Uncompressed HDTV SMPTE 292M up to 300 feet
- Coleman 99501
- Belden 1505A (available in bundles)

Mini Coax, 23 solid BC center conductor, 100% foil, 95%TC braid
Uncompressed HDTV SMPTE 292M up to 210 feet
- Coleman 99401 (available in bundles)
- Belden 1855A (available in bundles)

Carl

I know Coleman also sells bundled wire, and according to the above post, Belden does too for their mini coax size. Coleman has a standard numbering system where the last wire is the number of wires in the bundle. So for their precision mini coax, 99401 is the the 1 wire, 99403 is the three wire, and 99405 is the 5 wire bundle, etc.

Mini coax may also be referenced by its guage (23) if you are searching for it and I've also seen it listed as RG-59 (mini) although this is NOT the same guage as regular RG-59.

Sic you said you paid about $230 for 1000' of 99401? I'm finding it at about $166.68 at lashen.com, anyone have experience with them or are these prices to good to be true?

Well they don't stock them but can have them drop shipped from Coleman in Illinois. Quoted me at $32 for shipping of two cases.
Think I'll take the plunge, I started running conduit last night so I'm pretty eager to get some cable in my walls :)

I picked it up locally from a wire supply house. Honestly I needed the wire quick and didn't do any price comparisons. If you are worried about the company, perhaps you could try to call Coleman and see if they do business with them. Since it is going to be dropped shipped from Coleman, I think as long as Coleman knows who they are, I would feel comfortable doing it. That is a great price. Let me know if you end up getting it from them. I'll eventually need to buy some more.

I picked it up locally from a wire supply house. Honestly I needed the wire quick and didn't do any price comparisons. If you are worried about the company, perhaps you could try to call Coleman and see if they do business with them. Since it is going to be dropped shipped from Coleman, I think as long as Coleman knows who they are, I would feel comfortable doing it. That is a great price. Let me know if you end up getting it from them. I'll eventually need to buy some more.

I went ahead and ordered through them, Coleman will only drop ship if it's two or more cases. Otherwise it's a two week lead time for them to stock it, plus a higher price because of all the shipping. I'm not to worried about the company they seem to be reputable, and very friendly. I'll let everyone know how it works out Hopefully I can find a matrix that supports HD soon.

I still need to pick up a plasma or lcd for over the fireplace, glad I decided to paint that wall a different color, gives me an excuse to tear into it and mount an outlet and the A/V cables behind it. Now that I think about it I might want to build some IR led's in the wall so I have a built in sensor bar for the wii.

Directv was out today but they said they wouldn't be able to install my dish (no signal, need to dig out my chainsaw) so I have to reschedule and wait a couple weeks, the nearest installer is two hours away so things can take a while. My parents had to wait three months for an open slot this spring, just to have them come out and say it was to windy to do it that day. So I'm limited to HD DVD's and video games for HD content right now.

Now that I think about it I might want to build some IR led's in the wall so I have a built in sensor bar for the wii.

It will be easier to do one of two things. Either buy a battery powered wireless sensor bar (about $15) or buy a transformer and connect the OEM sensor bar to it (about $10). I went the second route because I didn't want to worry about changing the batteries on the sensor bar. It only needs about 9 volts of power (I don't remember the exact number) and I simply cut the connector off the transformer and wedge the bare wires into the OEM sensor connector with a piece of wood. This way I can still use the original sensor bar with the Wii by just pulling out the transformer wires and connecting it back to the Wii.

The sensor bars are so small that you can use double sided tape and stick it either to the top or bottom of the TV and it doesn't stand out at all.

I can take pictures of my setup if you like. I have the Wii across the room from the TV tucked away on an end table.

Now that I think about it I might want to build some IR led's in the wall so I have a built in sensor bar for the wii.

It will be easier to do one of two things. Either buy a battery powered wireless sensor bar (about $15) or buy a transformer and connect the OEM sensor bar to it (about $10). I went the second route because I didn't want to worry about changing the batteries on the sensor bar. It only needs about 9 volts of power (I don't remember the exact number) and I simply cut the connector off the transformer and wedge the bare wires into the OEM sensor connector with a piece of wood. This way I can still use the original sensor bar with the Wii by just pulling out the transformer wires and connecting it back to the Wii.

The sensor bars are so small that you can use double sided tape and stick it either to the top or bottom of the TV and it doesn't stand out at all.

I can take pictures of my setup if you like. I have the Wii across the room from the TV tucked away on an end table.

Thanks sic,
I'd like to see how yours turned out, I have a couple wireless sensor bars now (I'm the guy always digging through the used accessories at gamestop)

Well looks like I just won an Extron 1616 Crosspoint, and I also picked up a Kramer vs-401 and vs-801 for distributing some composite feeds. I should start looking into IR distribution a little closer.

Back