Drilling window sensors

personalt

How do you guy retro fit window sensors with minimal distruction. I was thinking I could take the sash out and drill straight down with a really long/skinny bit and then use an extension. That would get me down into the basement.

My thought was I could use a recessed switch. My only concnern was water and the fact that their might be a gasket where I want to put the magnet on the sash.

Is there a better way?

nope, that's what I did. Pretty easy, actually. I got a 54" 3/8" flex bit. The sensors are a pretty tight fit so there's no water issues.

Vinyl windows . . . different story. The hollow sill/stool at the bottom catches rain water and drains it to the outside. If I drill down through it, I'll create a new drain path. Not to mention that any mods kill the warranty.

Vinyl windows . . . different story. The hollow sill/stool at the bottom catches rain water and drains it to the outside. If I drill down through it, I'll create a new drain path. Not to mention that any mods kill the warranty.
This is a big problem for people concerned about voiding the warranty on their new windows. I suggest using surface mounted contacts that require no drilling inside the window itself (just a small hole near the window). I used two small ones for problem windows that had spring assemblies on the sides (couldn't mount a contact due to these mechanical items riding in the track).
LRWindowFinished.JPG

Why the flexible? I would think that would make it harder to drill down through the bottom stud plate once you get through the sill. In a perfect world I would like to drill one hole straight down into the basement.

I dont think my aim would be as good as this guy
http://www.idealindustries.com/products/to..._drill_bits.jsp

nope, that's what I did. Pretty easy, actually. I got a 54" 3/8" flex bit. The sensors are a pretty tight fit so there's no water issues.

With a non-flexible one, you need to go 54" straight up (but see, there's this pesky window in the way).

I slightly bent mine, at the top, then held it with my hand and went straight down. Only took off the first 3 layers of flesh as I was too lazy to find my gloves, but the hole was perfect!

IVB, are the exterior walls insulated in your California bungalo? I have 5 1/2 inches of fibreglass batt in our exterior walls. I imagine running a drill through it would wind it up into a little ball with minimal R-value remaining.

Regards,
John

OK - thank makes sense.. I figured get a long bit and then an extension after I drilled down. I figured that would give more control depending on how bendy the bit is. But the bendy bit might work better as the extension fitting might be a little big for the hole you need to drill.

With a non-flexible one, you need to go 54" straight up (but see, there's this pesky window in the way).

I slightly bent mine, at the top, then held it with my hand and went straight down. Only took off the first 3 layers of flesh as I was too lazy to find my gloves, but the hole was perfect!

My big issue now is do I put window sensors on the upstairs windows? First nice day in the new house wife leaves on of the 2nd floor windows open. it was a nice day during the day but was cold enough at night to call for heat.

I had zero plan for that as my old house was a condo with 4 windows. Never tbought about using windows sensors to protect for stupidness..... I dont have a lot of windows but will have to look into putting some remote bus addapter into the attic so I can go with one wire back to the alarm panel.... lovely...

Not only do I do upstairs windows but I also do both sash' of double hung windows. Some for burglary protection but others just for the very reason you mention.

Back