Dual boot Win 10 and Linux

giesen said:
So you're the one :)
Nope. It's very common on a bunch of recording hardware, either OEM or COTS. Rock solid and stable and bypasses a lot of BS present in other branches of Linux.

What does the server version do for you that desktop does not?

I have a few LAMP servers running.  These run without the resource utilization of the desktop.  You can though run everything on a desktop if you want.

The desktop has a gui / x windows / eye candy interface which you do not need on the server.

pete_c said:
What does the desktop version do for you that server does not?

The desktop has a gui / x windows / eye candy interface which you do not need on the server.

Pete

You quoted me wrong. I asked what does the server do that the desktop does not, not the reverse.

Mike.

Fixed it.

I use server version for my zm boxes and vdr boxes and other stuff.  Homeseer runs headless on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit server on one of two boxes.

The rage in the 1990's was Fedora and Red Hat.  Today many companies are utilizing Red Hat.

@BTW tested a W7Pro VB box USB connection on my laptop yesterday taking repossessing an old IPhone via the USB port on the VB.  It was a tinker toy such that I really didn't care if I bricked it.  Really though you cannot anyways.  (IE: unlocking it, updating firmware so forth and so on).  I was impressed that it worked.  I have historically only tinkered with cell phones with direct hardware to OS connections.  I have been doing this with the automation stuff running in VBs but it is much simpler.

Back