Elk and RCS TR16 - Temp changing by itself

Madcodger

Sorry to be off the boards for awhile, but we sold our automated house a few months back and for the new house I still have my new Elk, ISY, etc., sitting in the box from Martin at AO with plans to install in next couple of weeks. However, the purchaser of our past home is having a problem with the Elk and TR16 thermostat (RS-485 via an M1XSP), and we could use some helping solving the problem, please.

It seems that the TR16 will change the set temperature abruptly and without any identifiable reason (i.e., it occurs randomly) from whatever has been set using Elk Rules to 70 degrees. We have checked all rules and downloaded the system into the database (then re-checked), so it doesn't appear to be a Rule that is causing this. It's almost as if the TR16 has a default of 70, and keeps reverting to that despite commands sent previously from the Elk. I'm not sure the new owner has done a recent firmware upgrade, but that's one thing I intend to check.

Has anyone else seen this or a similar behavior? Are Spanky, Don or others from Elk on the board? Ideas and info welcome (and it's nice to be back on here). Thanks in advance.

Joe

Thanks, gents! I didn't know the TR16 was even capable of running a schedule! Will check with the previous owner this evening, have him make the adjustments, and report back.

Joe

The schedules got me too too when I first installed my OmniStat - even without a schedule, some defaults were overriding me. I later disabled schedules altogether in the installer options.

However, I have been studying the RCS stuff religiously lately putting together my next system - and I don't see any mention of schedules or programming in the TR16. There's also no hold button or mode.

So - a simple test I'd try - set the temperature on it, then disconnect the serial connection to the elk - see if it holds, or if it still resets; that would let you know if the Elk is doing it or if something else is happening. Then proceed from there. Also, scan the elk log to see if it has anything of use.

The schedules got me too too when I first installed my OmniStat - even without a schedule, some defaults were overriding me. I later disabled schedules altogether in the installer options.

However, I have been studying the RCS stuff religiously lately putting together my next system - and I don't see any mention of schedules or programming in the TR16. There's also no hold button or mode.

So - a simple test I'd try - set the temperature on it, then disconnect the serial connection to the elk - see if it holds, or if it still resets; that would let you know if the Elk is doing it or if something else is happening. Then proceed from there. Also, scan the elk log to see if it has anything of use.

First, good idea to disconnect the stat from the Elk to see if it's the Elk doing this. Will get him to try that.

Next, I agree - there is NO mention of a hold function or button for the TR16, so gents: HOW ARE YOU PUTTING THE STAT INTO "HOLD" MODE? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure everyone was just thinking of the first common thing that gets everyone... Even most of the tstats indended for automation still have a lot of intelligence built into them for running schedules on their own.

That tstat however really is designed to be a bare-bones controller and thermostat - its only functions are Mode and Temp Change - so I think we've pretty well ruled out it being a schedule issue.

We've come across this issue with the TR16 before. Turns out they come from the manufacturer with an internal schedule even though they aren't a scheduling t-stat. When doing rules with the Elk be sure to send a HOLD ON rule after your setpoint.

OK, talked the new owner through sending a hold on command with each Rule that the Elk sends re: the stat. Let's see if that does it. Thanks for the help!

I'm pretty sure everyone was just thinking of the first common thing that gets everyone... Even most of the tstats indended for automation still have a lot of intelligence built into them for running schedules on their own.

That tstat however really is designed to be a bare-bones controller and thermostat - its only functions are Mode and Temp Change - so I think we've pretty well ruled out it being a schedule issue.

The TR36 and TS36+Zone Controllers are from the same generation, and while they had no time schedules in them I spent over a year figuring out why they randomly reset to specific temperatures - at times running the AC all day in a Texas summer. Even more baffling was the zones all went to different temperatures. This was also Elk connected, but it wasn't the issue.

Turns out, while there are no schedules there were presets for "Home", "Away" and "Vacation" and anytime there was a power glitch they reset to the "Home" temperature preset (no split temps for heat/cool). I finally put them on the 12VDC power distribution I have and it never happened again.

The latest gen TR60/TS60 leech power from the furnace transformer and I haven't seen random resets on them in the 16 months they have been running.

Jay

This topic is a few years old but I was doing some research as I have the same problem. Did you ever figure out what was causing the temperature to change?

Back