Elk / Insteon lights turning on......again

Len12121

Well I returned to summer home to do some projects . I downloaded all cuurent updates for Elk and Powerhome. I then cleared PLC and reloaded core app and all 87 Insteon devices. Also polling is active in M1XSP. After a few hours again lights started to turn on by themselves. Shut them off and retired for the night. This morning had 2 lights and bathroom fan on. Do not understand what is happening.

I noticed that the M1XSP light flashes about 4 times equally spaced the lets loose with aburst of flashes then returns to 4 flashes then repeats this pattern. Also noticed yesterday that PLC was flashing about once per second. Reloaded core app and PLC seems normal. M1XSP is still doing 4 flashes then burst. Is this because of polling?

I will be here for 4 more days. If I can't figure it out will have to unplug PLC again........
Any ideas really appreciated!!

ELK is investigating this issue. We would appreciate knowing the details of your lighting setup. Do you have polling enabled?

Thanks

ELK is investigating this issue. We would appreciate knowing the details of your lighting setup. Do you have polling enabled?

Thanks
Spanky,

Yes polling is enabled. I am in contact with ELK (today) . Other data I have the latest version of all udates to all elk modules.
I load in my insteon data thru powerhome into the PLC and the M1XSP. Also reloaded core app into PLC.

Do I need to put S3 back to no polling when I load Insteon info into M1XSP. Then turn polling on because I have been loading data with S3 set to polling?

For the first 3 months I did not have polling active with little to no issues. Others though have polling on and say they no issues.......

I will keep experimenting and let you know.

Well disabled polling ( moved S3 jumper) and no lights, fans , etc came on overnite. So I wonder if this is an Elk issue or if I am not doing something right when I load up Elk from powerhome with jumper in polling position. Should it be off when loading or does it not matter? This morning I again activated polling to see if lights start to come on again to verify my findings. If they do I will disable polling and load database again to M1XSP then activate polling to see if this makes a difference. Will let you all know of results.

Any other thoughts or suggestions???

My issues kept comping back. I tried reupdating the M1XSP with insteon addresses.. I tried the S3 jumper in both positions. Tried replacing the 2414S. No matter what I did, the problem eventually reoccurred where I had lights spontaneously turning on. So I just gave up with the serial situation and went with the ISY-26 solution over IP, which so far seems to be way more reliable..

Well disabled polling ( moved S3 jumper) and no lights, fans , etc came on overnite. So I wonder if this is an Elk issue or if I am not doing something right when I load up Elk from powerhome with jumper in polling position. Should it be off when loading or does it not matter? This morning I again activated polling to see if lights start to come on again to verify my findings. If they do I will disable polling and load database again to M1XSP then activate polling to see if this makes a difference. Will let you all know of results.

Any other thoughts or suggestions???

New update. With polling on no lights come on during the day. After sunset is when lights start to turn on. So I reset the time in the midle of the day to about 1 hour before sunset and for 1 hour no lights then within 15-45 minutes after Elk knows sunset a couple lights turn on. Sometimes 1 light within this time sometimes a couple. Reset clock to midday and no lights come on. Reset it to couple minutes befor sunset and shortly ( 30 - 60 minutes) after Elk determines sunsest at least 1 light comes on. Did this a couple times with the same result. Ran system all night with polling off and no lights turned on. I have a rule that turns on Garage outdoor lights at sunset. With rule enabled or disabled this problem still occurs.

Will continue to try different scenarios today to narrow down conditions that cause this to happen. Elk is aware of this latest update and is looking into it.

I looked at one M1 users Rules that was:

Whenever the Side Door became secure
AND it was dark outside
Then turn on the Kitchen light

Should the data bus wiring have a termination problem and a expander module resets its processor, the main M1 processor may reset also. If the M1 processor should reset, the above Rule could fire.

Check the M1 log to see if there has been System Resets occuring.
Add this to the Rules (text is more or less correct):

WHENEVER System Startup occurs
THEN turn on output 100 for 65 seconds

AND Output 100 is OFF
AND it was dark outside

This will keep the Rule from triggering until all the input expanders have checked in.

We are still looking into the issue. The difficult thing is our Insteon setup NEVER false triggers a light. That is why we need your input.

I looked at one M1 users Rules that was:

AND it was dark outside

Should the data bus wiring have a termination problem and a expander module resets its processor, the main M1 processor may reset also. If the M1 processor should reset, the above Rule could fire.

Check the M1 log to see if there has been System Resets occuring.
Add this to the Rules (text is more or less correct):

WHENEVER System Startup occurs
THEN turn on output 100 for 65 seconds

AND Output 100 is OFF
AND it was dark outside

This will keep the Rule from triggering until all the input expanders have checked in.

We are still looking into the issue.

Spanky,

Checked log, only resets are when I have changed S3 jumper to see if I could pinpoint what conditions are needed to turn on lights.

Also I have very few rules at the moment and almost all the lights that turn on are not related to any rules. Out of the 85 devices only about 10 have rules written for them.

I am leaving here on Sunday and will disable polling and hopefully no random lights will be turning on.

With my system the only way I found to be 100% sure the lights didnt turn on was to disconnect the PLC. Even without polling I saw some false triggers....

I tried using the Insteon mode in my installation and could never get the linking to work
correctly, also I have 5 defective units on the shelf now and a couple of others are on their
last legs. So far my failure rate is over 50%. The X10 mode seems to work fine.
My opinion is that they aren't ready for prime time.
I think I will replace all of them with some cheap X10 ones at least they work and don't
break in a few months.

Cliff s

I tried using the Insteon mode in my installation and could never get the linking to work
correctly, also I have 5 defective units on the shelf now and a couple of others are on their
I think I will replace all of them with some cheap X10 ones at least they work and don't
break in a few months.

Cliff s

Maybe I am confused but you have 5 defective what? (insteon modules? not M1's I hope :) )

break in a few months.

Cliff s

Maybe I am confused but you have 5 defective what? (insteon modules? not M1's I hope :) )

Given the reputation of both products and companies..... ahhhh isn't it kind of obvious???? :lol:

break in a few months.

Cliff s

Given the reputation of both products and companies..... ahhhh isn't it kind of obvious???? :lol:
I figured I knew what he was trying to say but I was confused... I just got home from another 12 hr shift... I am tired and hungry and was confused :( now I am better... just tired

break in a few months.

Cliff s

I figured I knew what he was trying to say but I was confused... I just got home from another 12 hr shift... I am tired and hungry and was confused :( now I am better... just tired

Ouch..... long day. But at least business is good. We still use the Long Island lab. Actually I have a few things for them soon.

Light update. When I left the house I disabled polling. Since then ( four days) no lights have turned on by themselves. When polling was active I could not make it through the night without lights turning on. The rules are working fine. I beleive this issue is related to polling and hope that Elk would find a solution to this issue. Maybe it is also related to number of devices used and polling. I have 85 devices. Hope Spanky can help.

Back