Elk M1 Dynamic DNS & Email problems

yrkd05

I had everything working fine for nearly a year, including emails sent from M1XEP, and remote access via Keypad Pro. Then Keypad Pro quit working when I updated my phone to lollipop, so I switched to M1 touch. Also discovered my dyndns.com account had expired so I renewed that. Now I've installed M1 Touch on my phone and remote access is working, but I think only until my IP renews to a new number because the DDNS update on M1XEP doesn't seem to be working. When I click "test" on M1XEP setup for DDNS, it fails. Also, on the M1XEP Email tab, the test for sending Email message 1 fails.

During this process I've updated ElkRP to V2.0.24, and the M1XEP to 2.0.2 Boot and 2.0.30 firmware.

It seems like my DDNS is working, when I ping the registered host name, it returns my IP. I think that's a good sign (in case there's any doubt, I'm very much a newbie at all this). I'm not sure the URL of the DDNS provider is still valid though, I'm using members.dyndns.org (using DynDns for DDNS provider) which doesn't point to a web page, not sure what that means.

I'm stumped right now, seems like I must be close since it all worked in the past. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

yrkd05 said:
It seems like my DDNS is working, when I ping the registered host name, it returns my IP.

This is a good sign.

Next, I would suggest you visit something like www.canyouseeme.org and test to see if your ports are being forwarded properly. For Elk, you should be able to enter 2601 into the site above, and see if it shows your port is open properly (Success!). If not, you would likely need to revisit your router/firewall settings.

If that checks out it would more than likely be another setting within the app that may be misconfigured (e.g. username, password, secure login, etc).

Regarding the URL of your DDNS server, I can't say for certain because I do not utilize DynDNS, but Google searches show the address you are using is correct.

Sounds like your DNS server is inop.  On the TCP/IP tab, try 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.  Also check the "Specify" box.

Thanks guys! First I checked port 2601, and that showed the port was open. Then I updated the primary and secondary DNS server, and that did the trick. Awesome! When I was typing in the new values, I realized the addresses in there were 192.168.0.1, which is not what I'd had in the past that was working (75.75.75.75). I only realized that now, after your suggestion to update it. Somehow those values were changed, perhaps during the firmware update of the M1XEP.

One more question I have, when updating the M1XEP to the latest firmware I believe it mentioned something about now being able to handle email with different security protocol (or something to that affect). I use gmx.com currently because when I set it up over a year ago, gmx used the protocol supported. I remember it didn't seem the most secure type of email. Anyway, can I now change to a more secure type of email? Or is this nothing to worry about and just stay with gmx?

Back