Elk M1 m1xslzw - Leviton VRCOP RF+3

liberty

Over the last two years I have solved many issues for my Elk M1 security and home automation system ( Leviton VRCOP RF+3) by reading this forum. Now I am stumped with a problem since day 1 with my Kwikset locks (910) working properly with the Z-wave interface. What happens is the locks work for a month and then just stop working. I exclude then and re-include them to no avail. Then just one day they start working again usually after I install a new outlet or switch.

I can always lock and unlock the locks via the primary controller Leviton VRUSB but can not lock or unlock via Elk rules. I thought I had the problem solved when I re-booted the M1XSLZW after I removed power from the VRCOP in that order. I have the latest firmware on the VRCOP and what I believe the latest firmware on the Elk M1XSLZW.

I have the correct text strings in the rules and basically do not change the rules because they work sometimes.

Thanks for any help

Bob

This situation occasionally happens to me with two locks with one stop working. Here’s what I have tried with some success. I don’t believe this is Z-Wave issue specifically, but somehow a Leviton issue. The VRUSB/RFIT can manipulate the lock if the VRUSB and VRC0P+3 are located at same distance.
  1. Use new batteries
  2. Reboot the lock by removing the battery
  3. Exclude and re-include the VRC0P+3. You will have to repair/heal the network twice.
  4. If number 3 not working, then retry again with “RE”set VRCOP+3 back to default with Hyperterminal
  5. Remove the VRC0P+3 from Elk and use Hyperterminal. Enter the correct lock/unlock serial commands. Move the VRC0P+3 closer to lock if unsuccessful.
  6. Last but not least, nuclear option. Reinstall the VRC0P+3 firmware which overwrites everything. You will need a very reliable serial connection – preferably not a Serial USB. The latest firmware can be found on Leviton’s website. I have found in one case a totally fresh start fixed lock communication issue. My theory is that somehow some table become corrupted. 
Part of the issue I believe is during Elk startup, the M1XSLZW polls the network. If your lock has a weak signal, M1XSLZW will miss the lock and refuse to generate commands. I have seen cases where multiple reboots of Elk cause the lock to start working. Here’s the hard part, the RFIT contains troubleshooting utilities, but they haven’t been upgraded to support security class. Many of the diagnostics don’t work with locks.

You can also reset the Kwikset lock back to factory default using the instruction in manual. Probably add this procedure to step#3.

dinnerline

Thank you for your reply. 

I followed your suggestions and # 3 was the jackpot. I repaired the network twice each time updating the controllers and the locks are now operational.
They lock lock with a delay (4-5 seconds) but that is acceptable.

Thank you again

Bob

Back