ELK M1 via ethernet to Alarm Relay - lots of disconnects

I think Linwood has it down in post # 13 of what is happening.

I have M1's installed and communicating via IP and my CS and have not experienced the issues that are being documented here, same goes with IPDACT's on commercial fire panels.

you are 100% correct.. they call on the restore of internet not when it looses connection. I set up a rule to tell me when the connection drops. I dont have them call me any more but when I did it was always right after the restore.

I have been attempting to work with Elk and Alarm Relay for over a year on this and other issues, but I have not made any progress. I have provided detailed packet captures, but still no acknowledgement an issue exists. Can you do me a favor and isolate your Elk M1 from the public Internet for about 45 minutes? I believe you'll experience the following:

1) The Elk M1 will indicate an Ethernet Failure and Restoral over and over (even though the Elk M1 is isolated from the Internet).
2) Alarm Relay will never notice your alarm is no longer reporting.
3) As soon as you restore your Internet (after 45 minutes), you'll get a call from Alarm Relay.

The expected behavior should be:
  • One Ethernet failure message written to the logs.
  • Alarm relay should notify me that my alarm is no longer reporting heartbeat.
  • One Ethernet restoral message once the Internet is restored.
Regards,

Ultrajones

I think Linwood has it down in post # 13 of what is happening.

I have M1's installed and communicating via IP and my CS and have not experienced the issues that are being documented here, same goes with IPDACT's on commercial fire panels.

Can I ask who are you are using for monitoring? I agree it could in theory be my home internet. however - as a starting point i have a very good fios plan with a commercial class router. the elk has the higher priority so i know the packets are not getting dropped for anything else. In addition, my router maintains a vpn connection to my office for weeks at a time without an issue.

I think I want to move my elk to another monitoring company, just dont know who

I am using a wholesale dealer within my state, as I am an installing dealer/integrator.

The dealer I use, I have M1's in addition to multiple commercial fire panels with no issue. The do, however wait for X missed heartbeats prior to calling.

can anyone recommend a stable company that does elk monitoring via ip... my alarm relay contract is almost up and I need to find someone else

Alarm relay called earlier in the week telling me that had a solution to the elk disconnects that have plagued me for two year and asked I wanted to set up an appointment with an engineer for later in the week.  Of course I set up an appointment.

guy calls me today however solution was to turn off supervision on the central station tab..    Isn't that just going to mask all disconnects so now I will just not know if it disconnected?

Yep...means they are having issues (most likely) with their virtual receiver and don't have a fix.

I have these going to the listed receivers as well as a VisorClip receiver with no issues.

Back