ELK-M1KPB Temp Sensor

Anyone have any issues with the built in temp sensor? The one on my 1st floor reads 85 and the thermostat next to it reads 75. The one on the 2nd floor reads 80. I know the 2nd floor is hotter than the 1st. The 1st has a prox reader on it. 2nd does not.

When I installed the one on the 1st floor, I placed in an area where an old keypad was and it only has a small hole for the cable and I centered it to cover the space where the old one was, so I would not have to do any painting. Anyway there is no cut out of any size behind the keypad and was wondering if its just getting hot and affecting the temp sensor. The one on the 2nd floor replaced an old X10 LCD keypad and it covers a 2 gang mudring. So lots of space behind it. Not sure if any of this matters? Or maybe its the prox sensor?

Anyone have any ideas? Thx, Tom.

My suggestion would be to just use a regular mercury thermometer there to get an accurate temp, then calibrate the KP temp to match and see what happens.

Anyone have any issues with the built in temp sensor? The one on my 1st floor reads 85 and the thermostat next to it reads 75. The one on the 2nd floor reads 80. I know the 2nd floor is hotter than the 1st. The 1st has a prox reader on it. 2nd does not.

When I installed the one on the 1st floor, I placed in an area where an old keypad was and it only has a small hole for the cable and I centered it to cover the space where the old one was, so I would not have to do any painting. Anyway there is no cut out of any size behind the keypad and was wondering if its just getting hot and affecting the temp sensor. The one on the 2nd floor replaced an old X10 LCD keypad and it covers a 2 gang mudring. So lots of space behind it. Not sure if any of this matters? Or maybe its the prox sensor?

Anyone have any ideas? Thx, Tom.

The prox sensor does generate some heat. As suggested just recalibrate it and you should be fine.

They temp sensors on the keypads can be calibrated?

Yes if you look in the installation instructions towards the back where the keypad information is they expalin how you can adjust the "offset" for the keypad temp sensor. I think they needed to do this to compensate for the heat generated by the electronics of the keypad and prox reader and any outside influence (installing on an outside wall etc).

TEMPERATURE READING ADJUSTMENT If the Keypad internal temperature sensor appears to read higher or lower than other room
thermostats/thermometers, it may be due to the Keypad mounting location, the room conditions, or the installation of a optional Mini
Prox Reader (ELK-M1PR). The Keypad has an adjustment procedure which allows compensation for these conditions.

1. Press and hold the " * " key, followed by the F5 key . HOLD BOTH keys pressed for 5-10 seconds or until the LCD displays
Exit when done. F1 Set Addr. (This is Keypad setup mode)
NOTE: This mode may also be accessed by removing power from the keypad (unplugging the data bus cable) and then
applying power while holding any key pressed.

2. Press the F2 key and the LCD will display: Temperature Degrees F = XX.X (This is the current temperature)

3. Use the UP or DOWN arrow keys to adjust the current temperature display until it approximates the desired setting. Each press of
the arrow keys changes the setting by approximately 3 tenths of a degree (00.3) It may not be possible to end up exactly on an even
temperature setting.

4. Press the Exit key twice do return back to the regular operation mode.

Is there a way to get temp info OUT of the ELK? Can the thermometers in the keypad be used to trigger rules, such as an email message? Is ther a way to see the temp of a keypad in ELKRP?

I would like to see the temp in other zones other than where the controllable thermometer is.

Bob

There's ways to use KP temperature to fire rules.

I have experienced temperature issues on a KP before on a job, was a large draft coming up the wall and out the hole where the splice was tucked.

Good news about the rules!
...but as a newbie at this I am having a little difficulty in the execution. Is this in the manual? Where do you find temperature data? Can the rule control an RCS UPB/X-10/serial t-stat? Can it email me when the temp reaches a predetermined value?
bob

Back